Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 23:54   #1

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Masthead Tricolour?

I recently found these pics while having a clean out.... taken over 20 years ago over two weekend sailings from Melbourne.... ie within a total period of maybe 8 hours.... to illustrate a piece I wrote back then to illustrate the dangers inherent in using masthead tri-lights inshore....

The last pic is of the ship they were taken from ... a pretty standard bridge 'height of eye' .

Lots of variables in mast heights / bridge HoE' combinations but how do you know your light isn't hidden in the shore lights?

Of course the most dangerous situation is when you are being overtaken and are on a steady or near steady bearing as seen from the ship... then you are just showing a steady fixed white in among a mass of steady fixed whites..... and we know that many sailors don't keep a good lookout astern...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tridos001.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	156801   Click image for larger version

Name:	tridos002.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	156802  

Name:	tridos003.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	156803   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri006.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	156804  

Name:	tridos006.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	156805   Click image for larger version

Name:	tridos005.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	156806  

Name:	ships036.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	156807  
Old 28-09-2017, 00:49   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Masthead Tricolour?

I'm not entirely certain that I understand. Doesn't putting the lights up high make them that much more visible to your average bridge watchstander? Particularly given that the lights are similar in height vertically to where they'd be on a mid-sized ship, non?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 00:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You don't and there isn't much you can do about it except have AIS and a radar reflector as other identifying methods. The one saving grace is the masthead is rarely still and tends to sway from side to side against the lights on a shore.

Works the other way too, ever tried to pick the nav lights out of a cruise liner? We were chased up the English channel by the Grand Princess one night. I know all about her because she was transmitting AIS but there was no way I could see the port side lights with all her decks lit up. Another intriguing one was a dredger with her powerful deck lights on at work. It was only later at dawn when she passed us that I worked out what she was.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 02:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm not entirely certain that I understand. Doesn't putting the lights up high make them that much more visible to your average bridge watchstander? Particularly given that the lights are similar in height vertically to where they'd be on a mid-sized ship, non?
No..... it **may** - as shown- put them against a background of city lights.....

Inbound on that run the approach was invariably made in darkness... VTS and radar made sure you knew all about any outbound commercial traffic... but seeing them against shore lights could be very difficult at a distance... trick was to look for the bit of 'blackness' against the shore lights where the bulk of the ship obscured them....

Pulpit and taffrail mounted lights are seen - from the bridge- against a background of black and -if you can see her bridge- the OOW can see your lights..
Old 28-09-2017, 02:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You don't and there isn't much you can do about it except have AIS and a radar reflector as other identifying methods. The one saving grace is the masthead is rarely still and tends to sway from side to side against the lights on a shore. .......
You aren't aware of that movement until you are very very close... don't ask me how I know this....
Old 28-09-2017, 03:34   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

On our cat, we have the original location nav lights mounted on bow and stern (although now changed to led), and a second led nav/anchor combo on the masthead. Offshore we use the masthead, because we found the bow-mounted lights could not be seen in big seas. In the ICW, other boats tended to focus more at bow level, so we run those lights there. And never both sets of lights at same time.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 04:11   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ues of TriColor is only technically valid outside of a COLREGS line, so it should not be in use inshore anyway.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 04:24   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ues of TriColor is only technically valid outside of a COLREGS line, so it should not be in use inshore anyway.
Theres no mention in COLREGS about where the lights may be used. Only says the required lights MAY be combined in one light at the masthead.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 04:26   #9

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

And from the USCG:

Sidelights and stern light. Boats under sail under 20m (65.6 feet) can substitute a tri-color light for separate
sidelights and stern lights.
Old 28-09-2017, 04:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You have lost me

Rule 25(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20m in length the lights prescribed in para (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at the or near the top of the masst where it can best be seen.

You spelt colour wrong

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You have lost me

Rule 25(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20m in length the lights prescribed in para (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at the or near the top of the masst where it can best be seen.

You spelt colour wrong

Pete
Hey, who changed the COLREGS! 😆

I swear I recall a retriction on use relative to COLREGS line bieing in there!

Anyway, apparentely not, but I do think the tricolor/colour is best suited for use when not in inland waters.
Old 28-09-2017, 12:43   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

In the US Inland rules apply to navigation on inland waters. The rule book is on my boat so I can't look up what it says about tricolor (sorry Pete, US rules here so US spelling) use. Will do so later.

I think there are separate rules for Western Rivers & Great Lakes. Wouldn't even know where to look for those.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 12:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
In the US Inland rules apply to navigation on inland waters. The rule book is on my boat so I can't look up what it says about tricolor (sorry Pete, US rules here so US spelling) use. Will do so later.

I think there are separate rules for Western Rivers & Great Lakes. Wouldn't even know where to look for those.
Here ya go:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yIMtv5UQ0X8OmA
Old 28-09-2017, 12:52   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ping's point is that when viewed from the bridge of a large vessel, masthead lights are sometimes lost in background lights when inshore, and when offshore, their distance off is hard to determine. I've heard this from many merchant mariners, and believe it to be true. Being 50-100 feet above the sea really changes perspective!

When considering which lights to run offshore, one must decide whether being visible to ships is more important than being visible to smaller, low point of view vessels... ones whose own running lights may be hard for you to pick out at a distance. When you add AIS to the picture, the situation is additionally changed. Frankly, it is a difficult decision. We still prefer to run the masthead tricolo(u)r at sea, believing that our AIS signal will be of more use to ships than our puny lights, and hoping that the greater elevation will make us more visible to other yachts and fishing vessels (in the unlikely event that they are looking!) who may not have AIS on board.

Inshore it seems that running deck level lights is better.

No perfect solution IMO...

And thanks to El Ping for bringing it up... not many yotties are aware of the issue.

Jim
Old 28-09-2017, 12:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ping's point is that when viewed from the bridge of a large vessel, masthead lights are sometimes lost in background lights when inshore, and when offshore, their distance off is hard to determine. I've heard this from many merchant mariners, and believe it to be true. Being 50-100 feet above the sea really changes perspective!

When considering which lights to run offshore, one must decide whether being visible to ships is more important than being visible to smaller, low point of view vessels... ones whose own running lights may be hard for you to pick out at a distance. When you add AIS to the picture, the situation is additionally changed. Frankly, it is a difficult decision. We still prefer to run the masthead tricolo(u)r at sea, believing that our AIS signal will be of more use to ships than our puny lights, and hoping that the greater elevation will make us more visible to other yachts and fishing vessels (in the unlikely event that they are looking!) who may not have AIS on board.

Inshore it seems that running deck level lights is better.

No perfect solution IMO...

And thanks to El Ping for bringing it up... not many yotties are aware of the issue.

Jim
Also I like the fact that tricolor is more visible in seas. If any significant sea state is running then deck level lights disappear when in the troughs.

Tags
head, mast