Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2023, 15:50   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailors Lost at Sea--Mexico to San Diego

By personal communication this morning, the Mexican gov't is scaling back their search, now. The USCG, too.

"Ocean Bound" (a Lafitte 44) and her crew have not been located.

Rest in Peace.

Ann
Old 16-04-2023, 20:15   #17

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Missing boat out of Mazatlan

It's a tough and difficult situation for those close to this. We know that if something bad happens, a fast response is critical. At the same time, I might assume (because Cabo is so close to Mazatlán) reservations were made before leaving, and the phone call was to cancel them. But, a message to family would have been likely then, too.

I hope what happened is that it looked good to go on, they blew by Caba, and quickly got into the realm of no cell service.

I know a lot of cruisers will tell family and friends, "don't call the coast guard just because I am late or don't check in." and others will discourage a search when someone is overdue with no other information. So, what is the best action?
Old 17-04-2023, 06:39   #18

Would it be normal for a boat of this size embarking on this type of voyage to not at least have an EPIRB? I've seen no mention of this anywhere which is making me assume (incorrectly?) that if they had one it i) would have been mentioned and ii) it hasn't been deployed?

I would have thought that people with so much experience would have had this most essential piece of safety equipment (at least in my book).
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 08:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Would it be normal for a boat of this size embarking on this type of voyage to not at least have an EPIRB? I've seen no mention of this anywhere which is making me assume (incorrectly?) that if they had one it i) would have been mentioned and ii) it hasn't been deployed?

I would have thought that people with so much experience would have had this most essential piece of safety equipment (at least in my book).
I have had the same curiosity. There does not seem to be any info available on this issue other than the below excerpted quote form the family Facebook post I linked earlier. It is presumptuous, perhaps, but one could infer from the below quote that this group of sailors might be 'old schooling' and not have modern electronics on board. Seems unlikely though.

(bold mine) "....Kerry, Frank and Bill are all experienced sailors, Bill has over 50 years of sailing experience and is an extremely talented coastal cruiser. Kerry and Frank have 20 years sailing together and both hold Captains licenses with the US Coast Guard. Ocean Bound is a sturdy older vessel and by many accounts is one of the best sailboats ever constructed. It can be argued that by todays standards it is lacking technology. There is also an argument for these sailors who’ve been reading star charts and coastal navigation for most of their lives. Technology can fail simply due to one wire or a power outage. Their collective knowledge and experience will not fail......."
Endless time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 08:55   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post

No actually many don't carry that kind of technology. Myself no EPIRB but I'm solo so only me that I am responsible for. If I had others on my boat the metrics would change .
Old 17-04-2023, 09:17   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

There is really n argument for not having an EPIRB at only $500 today. It is just as important as spare turning blocks, raw water impellers or fuel filters.
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 09:27   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It's a tough and difficult situation for those close to this. We know that if something bad happens, a fast response is critical. At the same time, I might assume (because Cabo is so close to Mazatlán) reservations were made before leaving, and the phone call was to cancel them. But, a message to family would have been likely then, too.

I hope what happened is that it looked good to go on, they blew by Caba, and quickly got into the realm of no cell service.

I know a lot of cruisers will tell family and friends, "don't call the coast guard just because I am late or don't check in." and others will discourage a search when someone is overdue with no other information. So, what is the best action?
If you have Verizon there is cell service at least every other day along the coast on the Baja Bash. It may be too weak to download the weather or make a call but SMS is quite doable.

OTOH, if you have starlink, you could check into the Cruisers Forum about 80% of the time, even 50 miles offshore.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 10:10   #23

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

I hope and pray that they're safe, but their experience, the size of their boat, and the multiple ways of being able to contact people in 2023 just can't stop me from thinking about foul play and Cartel.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 10:35   #24

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Possible scenarios of what has happened. Easy guys its just some scenarios. Dont filet me.
1 Ship was boarded and siezed by Mexican military/navy under the direction of Cartels. Crew murdered.
2 Complete and total electrical/rigging failure due to storm and lightning. Crew alive but vessel is "dead in the water."
3 Third sailor crew Bill Gross seized the boat (sorry but it is a possibility). This happens more often you might think. Captain and wife likely murdered and Gross and the vessel is heading to the South Pacific.
4 Whale sunk the boat in a fraction of a second giving crew little or no time to radio Mayday. Crew either abandoned ship in a liferaft and are floating or all hands perished when the boat sank.
5 Cargo container took 'em out and their "lack of technology" prevented emergency response.Crew likely in a life raft.
Old 17-04-2023, 10:38   #25

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No actually many don't carry that kind of technology. Myself no EPIRB but I'm solo so only me that I am responsible for. If I had others on my boat the metrics would change .
If they did not have even an EPIRB, then it is gross negligence if lives were lost. Pure and simple. Even the most technology limited boats, with no SSB, Satellite, or Inreach need to have an EPIRB.
Old 17-04-2023, 10:40   #26

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Sailors Lost at Sea--Mexico to San Diego

It would appear that this will not end well but there is still an outside glimmer of hope..
Old 17-04-2023, 11:10   #27

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Possible scenarios of what has happened. Easy guys its just some scenarios. Dont filet me.
1 Ship was boarded and siezed by Mexican military/navy under the direction of Cartels. Crew murdered.
2 Complete and total electrical/rigging failure due to storm and lightning. Crew alive but vessel is "dead in the water."
3 Third sailor crew Bill Gross seized the boat (sorry but it is a possibility). This happens more often you might think. Captain and wife likely murdered and Gross and the vessel is heading to the South Pacific.
4 Whale sunk the boat in a fraction of a second giving crew little or no time to radio Mayday. Crew either abandoned ship in a liferaft and are floating or all hands perished when the boat sank.
5 Cargo container took 'em out and their "lack of technology" prevented emergency response.Crew likely in a life raft.
Easy guys? Just some scenarios?

This is both absurd and disrespectful - to the families of the people involved, to the Mexican Navy, to our intelligence.

Where do you get this stuff?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 11:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If they did not have even an EPIRB, then it is gross negligence if lives were lost. Pure and simple. Even the most technology limited boats, with no SSB, Satellite, or Inreach need to have an EPIRB.
As I said solo I won't carry an epirb my life is my responsibility no need for you to pay for my stupidity. Also if I have other souls on the vessel that I am responsible for then EPIRB yes no doubt. Had one on the spencer always minimum 2 crew.
Old 17-04-2023, 11:39   #29

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
This is both absurd and disrespectful
Those various scenarios are neither absurd nor disrespectful.
While they might not be voiced out loud, (the elephant in the room that everyone refuses to acknowledge,) a good detective, (like Chief Inspector Clouseau,) will not automatically disregard them out of hand.
Old 17-04-2023, 13:52   #30

Boat: Norseman 447

Why not carry an EPIRB? Because some people still adhere to the idea attributed to Blondie Hassler when he was supposedly interviewed about his not talking a radio on the first OSTAR race. "What will you do if you have an emergency?" a reporter asked.

"Hopefully, I’ll die like a gentleman."
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lost, Mexico, sail, san diego