Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 12:06   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: MOB: Do You Practice?

We have a "Leave No Hat Behind" policy. When one blows over, we figure-eight back to it just to make certain we remember what to do. Otherwise, I'm not inclined to practice because I can't stand to let my sails flog. Wears them out too fast.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I'm with the "hat" crowd.

Lost one and said "ahh, thats OK". Changed my mind a few minutes later and went back. It took some, uh, thinking, uh wind that-a-way, uh, current that-a-way, uh, boat that-a-way, so ummmm, OK, that-a-way. Lo and behold, thar she floats. Whew!

Now, the part about getting someone (the wife) back on board even with the steps on the hulls, in waves, with the boat going all up-and-down like - don't know - haven't tried. Do have block for the victim-boom-to-winch line though.

As far as her hauling me in - less chance of that I suppose.

Staying coastal and chicken with jack line and clip-on is my rationalizing it.

Oh yea. Another hat. Touched the MOB button on the plotter first. That one was easy!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:53   #18

This summer Charlotte is going to toss me in the water in my wet suit and practice getting me back out. The risk is that we want somewhere with enough open water that we don't hit anything while she's winching me up, but that if it goes south I can swim to shore and/or not become a problem for SAR. Still looking for a good spot.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:04   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Too risky Eric, that's a bit of a no-no... I'd say don't do it.
Old 06-04-2011, 15:44   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Did my 1st MOB in Gibraltar last week when i took my 1st course with Allabroad sailing academy (RYA), I paid particular attention and had not really thought about it before then, the instructor (Nick) was really good and it certainly hit home to me how important it is to be up to speed with MOB, it really could be the difference between life and death!!

I would like to ask if any members have ever had to do the manuever, the conditions and the outcome? Thanks, Pablo!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Too risky Eric, that's a bit of a no-no... I'd say don't do it.
Trust me I'm not looking forward to it all that much and we'll probably have some other people onboard who are ordered to do nothing to help unless life/limb/hull is in danger. But if Charlotte wants to practice grabbing someone out of the water, I'll take my lumps and bruises getting hauled out. Maybe I'll wear two wetsuits.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:13   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I don't think you're going to get many to post and admit that they don't practice.

I've only practiced a couple of times since I got the Cal on the Cal, but have taught many a time. Last several years haven't been doing much in the keelboat line, beach cats and dinghies.

I did discover I suck at the new techniques, so I need to work on those.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:53   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

most people only pratice in calm conditions which is just a sailing exercise, in real life I worry of getting lost in the conditions; not about my wife being able to come back to me
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 18:37   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
most people only pratice in calm conditions which is just a sailing exercise, in real life I worry of getting lost in the conditions; not about my wife being able to come back to me
Same worry here.

And I am not sure I would be able to find my first mate ether, if she ended up overboard in bad conditions.

Tell you this: saw a lovely pink fender (big, round, fishing-boat type) once on a passage, running. The weather was fine, just windy, perhaps 25 and gusting. I quickly undid the preventer, turned the boat round, unfurled some genoa, tacked the boat twice, tight reaching ... Now you tell me where the fender was. Because it was not there ...

I think I will invest into some sort of MOB finder solution: a DSC handheld or an AIS MOB perhaps. Probably a flare-and-smoke signal in the pocket to start with.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 19:17   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Same worry here.

And I am not sure I would be able to find my first mate ether, if she ended up overboard in bad conditions.

Tell you this: saw a lovely pink fender (big, round, fishing-boat type) once on a passage, running. The weather was fine, just windy, perhaps 25 and gusting. I quickly undid the preventer, turned the boat round, unfurled some genoa, tacked the boat twice, tight reaching ... Now you tell me where the fender was. Because it was not there ...

I think I will invest into some sort of MOB finder solution: a DSC handheld or an AIS MOB perhaps. Probably a flare-and-smoke signal in the pocket to start with.

b.

Yep.

There was a thread long ago (just did a search and could not find it - maybe another fourm - can't remember) about tossing a stack of paper plates right after the ring. That's my plan.
Old 06-04-2011, 19:43   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7

I do it pretty regularly during the season. I have a basketball named Wilson that becomes the victim. The real trick is to try and do this when no one expects it!
jdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 19:49   #27

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Same worry here.

b.
You shouldn't be tacking twice. You should probably practice a bit more
Old 06-04-2011, 19:54   #28

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09

Had an old salt I know of ask his crew if anyone wanted to volunteer to to be the dummy for the man overboard drill. Anyone who did not volunteer wore a life jacket for the rest of the trip...
Old 06-04-2011, 20:12   #29

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I don't think it is a wise idea to jump overboard when your single handing. lol
Lost a pig once on a Salmon Troller tried to find it in 4 foot seas. It showed up at the local commercial fisherman's store a week later. The license number was on it.
At that time I realized how easy it is to lose someone if there are currents and some waves. I told my deckhand at the time " don't fall overboard". I don't know if practicing the drill in calm waters would help.
Old 06-04-2011, 20:26   #30

Boat: Tartan 30

The first time I did a MOB drill was first day out on an ASA sail, and I was assigned the task of keeping an eye on the 'victim' (PFD tossed over). it was not exactly calm conditions but certainly not rough either. I lost site of the float almost immediately, then picked it up, then lost it again... This was with 100% focus, then finally picked it up again after scanning for over 30 seconds...pure luck.

I think that was an appropriate first lesson. It really hit home how easy it is to loose sight of a person. It only takes seconds, and they are gone...

If you are singlehanding (which you are if your mate goes over) it will be absolutely impossible to keep an eye on the floater while maneuvering the boat. If you don't have a MOB pole type bouy (that can be relased within a second or two off the stern), then you should, at the very least, throw a cushion or PFD or something to help with visual contact (and maybe give them something to grab onto).
This is far more important than a 'lifesling' type device, which only helps after find them...

Ironically, you see lifeslings on every boat but you rarely see a proper MOB buoy.

Tags
mob