Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 13:09   #136

Boat: Amel 50
Re: MOB for Couples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'd suggest that you should no longer expect any assistance from experienced cruisers on this forum if you're going to resort to name calling and insults when someone has previously attempted to put together an extensively well-thought out response to one of your questions. (post # 96)

This is likely one of the reasons why so many experienced cruisers have left this forum.... rude responses and snarky jabs from people looking for answers. I'm thinking this thread is now likely dead and run it's course as a result of this behavior.

Have a nice day.
Kenomac,

You may be a great guy in person, but trust me, you do not come across this way with your posts. Maybe you have not noticed.

Your experience is appreciated. Please try to appreciate other people's experience and opinions.

Just something to consider...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 13:13   #137
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Kenomac,

You may be a great guy in person, but trust me, you do not come across this way with your posts. Maybe you have not noticed.

Your experience is appreciated. Please try to appreciate other people's experience and opinions.

Just something to consider...
Next time, don't bother asking me to produce an extensive list of safety related features and practices for you (post #96), or any other matters of concern. I spent lots of time maybe three hours, thinking about what to write and carefully organizing my thoughts before writing them down.

And this is the thanks I get from you and the others?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 13:14   #138

Quote:
Next time, don't bother asking me to produce an extensive list of safety related features and practices for you. (post #96) or any other matters of concern. I spent lots of time thinking about what to write and carefully organizing my thoughts.
I am sorry you feel that way. My comment was not meant to be offensive.
Old 03-04-2019, 13:18   #139

It amazes me how far you travel fast, so while keeping a clear head is good, dont dilly dally, get turned around as soon as you have a marker in the water. Especially in any seas, hard to see people in the water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 13:49   #140

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

On a side note, isn't it amazing how toughened sailors can be so thin skinned. I always thought that the skin gets thicker over the years...

Many paths lead to Rome, tried and untried ones, better and worse.
If no-one takes the risk to think out of the box occasionally, we would still not have wheels and anything that followed.

Regarding the drysuit or "skim-pad" idea.
I would think that you might have a hard time getting yourself closer to the boat at speed. But a combination of means to stop the boat and a skimming surface might be worth looking deeper into.
Old 03-04-2019, 14:19   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Regarding the drysuit or "skim-pad" idea.
I would think that you might have a hard time getting yourself closer to the boat at speed. But a combination of means to stop the boat and a skimming surface might be worth looking deeper into.
It may be hard to get closer to the boat. It would need to be tested. I would think that with a ratchet block, or some kind of belay, and a pad which makes the MOB skid on the water, it may not be that bad.

It works in my mind Doesn't everybody see it? (JOKE!)

Anyway, the skim-pad implies a long tether. In my opinion, a tether should be short enough so that one does not fall overboard or long enough so that one does not drown while getting dragged next to the boat with no way to pull himself on board.

This idea started while I was thinking about how to solve the falling overboard with long tether problem.
Old 03-04-2019, 16:04   #142

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Next time, don't bother asking me to produce an extensive list of safety related features and practices for you (post #96), or any other matters of concern. I spent lots of time maybe three hours, thinking about what to write and carefully organizing my thoughts before writing them down.

And this is the thanks I get from you and the others?
You are somehow surprised that readers don't jump to your advice and give you high fives when it is so centered on your situation, not the general cruising environment. You focus your approach on a greater than 60 ft boat, a centercockpit, a 40 hp outboard, a broadband Sat connection, a temperature that wearing a dry suit is doable....... These criteria do not match most of the CF readers, most of the long distance cruisers or most of the wannabes.
Great for you, just not generally applicable.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 16:46   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You are somehow surprised that readers don't jump to your advice and give you high fives when it is so centered on your situation, not the general cruising environment. You focus your approach on a greater than 60 ft boat, a centercockpit, a 40 hp outboard, a broadband Sat connection, a temperature that wearing a dry suit is doable....... These criteria do not match most of the CF readers, most of the long distance cruisers or most of the wannabes.
That is the problem with "MOB for Couples" situations and solutions. There are SO many variables!

It is widely agreed that one should do everything possible to not fall overboard.
If one does fall overboard, he (she) should make himself seen (personal EPIRB/VHF/DSC/Lights/sound/etc.).
The person on board needs to determine where the MOB is, turn the boat around (manage sails/engine/electronics/weather/etc), locate and go close to (close enough but not over) the MOB.
Finally, the person on board needs to bring the MOB on board. Again, so many variables with just this portion of the rescue.

This topic has been very educational and has given me some ideas that I plan to use for my situation. But, I will try very hard to not fall overboard as that will most likely be my end. I believe I have already wasted 8 of my 9 lives...

Maybe, I should stay home... right... like that will happen...
Old 03-04-2019, 16:56   #144

Quote:
If one does fall overboard, he (she) should make himself seen (personal EPIRB/VHF/DSC/Lights/sound/etc.).
Suggest you look at the AIS/DSC Sart devices as opposed to the EPIRB PLB. If you are offshore the EPRIB will help in the recovery of your body, but not rescue, as the boat you fall off of has no way to recieve an Eprib transmission. It requires a landbased RCC to receive from the sattelite and act. Maybe useful wnen yku are close into Coast Gurad helicopter ranve, but thats it.
The AIS based devices will alarm an onboat chartplotter and continually update the Mob position. This is especially valuable in hbe Mom and Pop crew situation where it is competely impractical for the searcher left onboard to visually track the Mob while managing the vessel.
Old 03-04-2019, 17:02   #145

Quote:
Suggest you look at the AIS/DSC Sart devices as opposed to the EPIRB PLB. If you are offshore the EPRIB will help in the recovery of your body, but not rescue, as the boat you fall off of has no way to recieve an Eprib transmission. It requires a landbased RCC to receive from the sattelite and act. Maybe useful wnen yku are close into Coast Gurad helicopter ranve, but thats it.
The AIS based devices will alarm an onboat chartplotter and continually update the Mob position. This is especially valuable in hbe Mom and Pop crew situation where it is competely impractical for the searcher left onboard to visually track the Mob while managing the vessel.
Thank you for the correction. I typed too fast and did not proof read. I have Spinlock Deckvest 5D jackets and the resqueME AIS MOB1 for myself and wife. This is a tiny AIS device is installed inside the life jacket and goes off when the life jacket inflates. I also have all the lights available for the Spinlock.

Now, I need to teach my wife how to handle the boat and find me...
Old 03-04-2019, 17:14   #146

Quote:
Thank you for the correction. I typed too fast and did not proof read. I have Spinlock Deckvest 5D jackets and the resqueME AIS MOB1 for myself and wife. This is a tiny AIS device is installed inside the life jacket and goes off when the life jacket inflates. I also have all the lights available for the Spinlock.

Now, I need to teach my wife how to handle the boat and find me...
You should also go over how to manually activate the Sart in case it doesn't go off when the life jacket bladder expands.
Also, they need to be tested against the actual VHF radio and AIS chartplotter receiver to ensure they function and alarm. Some older radios and chartplotters do not.
Old 03-04-2019, 17:39   #147

Quote:
You should also go over how to manually activate the Sart in case it doesn't go off when the life jacket bladder expands.
Also, they need to be tested against the actual VHF radio and AIS chartplotter receiver to ensure they function and alarm. Some older radios and chartplotters do not.
Thanks again.

I plan to do all that in 3 weeks. I will re-program the MOB1 with the new MMSI (done in total darkness) and test them with the new Furuno MFD and Icom VHF (with GPS/AIS also). I just Coast Guard registered the boat and I am getting the MMSI number.
Old 03-04-2019, 20:44   #148

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Regarding the AIS locators.
Would it not be great to have an audible guidance system on the onboard receiver?
Similar to old school Radio Direction Finders.
The more you head towards the person in the drink, the faster a beep you hear. If you head directly to them you hear a solid sound.
That would free the person left onboard from looking at a display and focus on the multitude of other things needing to be done during the recovery mission.

That is just a suggestion for anyone in the electronics industry who might read this thread.
Old 03-04-2019, 22:08   #149

Quote:
These criteria do not match most of the CF readers, most of the long distance cruisers or most of the wannabes.
In the event that one does wear a livery collar, here is a demonstration of attempting to use one in a MOB:
https://youtu.be/c8yEqhXifcQ

---

Does anyone have a realistic guesstimate on the statistic/frequency of MOB in couple-cruising situations? 1 MOB for every 1,000 couples per year? Too high/low?

It occurs to me that hypothermia is the dynamic that at minimum significantly complicates or at worst results in failure of a successful rescue where the MOB is actually reached alive. So I wonder what, if anything, could be done to to reduce exposure.

So I thought about rafts. These ISPLR one-person liferafts are quite small, easily tossable, cost ~$1k. In theory, along with all the other measures mentioned, I wonder if the MOB being able to crawl into one of these things while awaiting rescue would reduce heat loss sufficiently to increasing chances of a successful recovery. But it's $1k.

Any thoughts on cost/benefit of one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raft.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	189359  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 23:43   #150

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Regarding the AIS locators.
Would it not be great to have an audible guidance system on the onboard receiver?
Similar to old school Radio Direction Finders.
The more you head towards the person in the drink, the faster a beep you hear. If you head directly to them you hear a solid sound.
That would free the person left onboard from looking at a display and focus on the multitude of other things needing to be done during the recovery mission.

That is just a suggestion for anyone in the electronics industry who might read this thread.

FANTASTIC idea Franziska!

imagine how it would help at night!!!!

wolfgal

Tags
mob