Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 08:31   #166

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
Re: MOB for Couples

When my wife and I decided to go cruising we both took sailing courses one and two, even though we both had sailed before. A friend of mine who had a slight handicap, fell overboard and his wife couldn't get him back and he drowned. I wanted us both to be speaking the same language. While in the BVI before we met, I watched couples screaming at each other while trying to pick up a ball or getting in a slip. Usually the man is at the helm and the woman is doing the lines. Also, I wanted her to be able to come back and get me if I went overboard. While cruising, we took turns at ALL the stations and chores so that either one of us could sail/anchor/dock the boat. We are back on land and have great memories.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44   #167

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

I have been doing some shopping on the "MOB for Couples" topic and here is what it was.
1. double-ended Kong tethers. I already have these and almost find they open with a very modest pressure on the release. Exact opposite of the spin lock, almost too much so.

2. a good length of dyneema which gets rigged as a single jackline. Our boat is a PDQ36, so I plan this as triangular run around some cockpit points, through the jib slot to the baby stay. Have to leave some of the windshield's lower edge unclipped to be able to travel all the way along. This keeps the tether a good 5 feet from the top of the lifelines, with 3 feet of freeboard I expect to only get wet feet.

3. paddling lifejackets with a harness under it. these keep the floatation material on the chest so your arms are freer to work

4. mob noisemaking:
- 1 mcmurdo AIS beacon talking to our standard horizon gx2200 and plotter
- 1 flashing light beacon thingy
- 2x whistles

5. lifesling to replace our heaving ring with grotty rope on it

I will evaluate leg straps for the harness in consultation with my friends who rock climb, once I get it.

The key will be to test and practice. Each should do the boat's preferred approach which is tack/jybe depending on weather, sheeting in so you end up nicely heaved-to near the victim. Make sure our plotter shows a target and makes a crazy noise when we test our beacon, and [while at anchor] try flopping over (... and under...) the lifelines while tethered. If I hit water, what happens if I'm pulled aftward? Try getting the sling on the spare halyard and each person cranks the other up. Post the MOB instructions at the helm.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:34   #168

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
I have been doing some shopping on the "MOB for Couples" topic and here is what it was.

3. paddling lifejackets with a harness under it. these keep the floatation material on the chest so your arms are freer to work
Take a look at these, it might save you an extra piece of gear. https://www.amazon.ca/Salus-Coastal-.../dp/B01MRZS864

I seem to recall an American poster saying they weren't USCG approved, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to work for you. Definitely on my longterm wish list
Old 06-04-2019, 11:56   #169

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Cool beans, found for sale CAD$125 at Binnacle. They are Canadian Coast Guard approved; in addition we carry a bazillion other lifejackets the USCG would be fine with if they cared to look.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 15:06   #170
cruiser

In case anyone is interested, I've begun a related discussion on PLB Personal locator beacons and function on another thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-216485.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:21   #171

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

An issue that was raised over at the excellent Morgans Cloud site re MOB technology and procedures, is the effectiveness of MOB alarms, especially for couples, and especially on passage.

Can the MOB alarm wake up your on watch crewmate? Without fail???? Are you really, really sure? Have you actually tested it, by any chance?

I was disappointed when I researched the alarm on our ICOM VHF activated by a MOB 1. It was not nearly loud enough, IMO ! And from what I hear, the AIS alarms of most MFD's are a bit pathetic as well.

Apparently the optional alarm that Vesper have is a proper screamer with enough volume to wake the dead.

Has anyone tried this Vesper unit?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:03   #172

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
An issue that was raised over at the excellent Morgans Cloud site re MOB technology and procedures, is the effectiveness of MOB alarms, especially for couples, and especially on passage.

Can the MOB alarm wake up your on watch crewmate? Without fail???? Are you really, really sure? Have you actually tested it, by any chance?

I was disappointed when I researched the alarm on our ICOM VHF activated by a MOB 1. It was not nearly loud enough, IMO ! And from what I hear, the AIS alarms of most MFD's are a bit pathetic as well.

Apparently the optional alarm that Vesper have is a proper screamer with enough volume to wake the dead.

Has anyone tried this Vesper unit?
Thats interesting. The DSC alarm on my older Icom VHF will wake the dead.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:43   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Thats interesting. The DSC alarm on my older Icom VHF will wake the dead.

Icom M604 on my boat. The DSC alarm will, yes, "wake the dead". It's awful! I sometimes feel like switching it off, but you can't!

Very effective alarm!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 16:06   #174
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
Cool beans, found for sale CAD$125 at Binnacle. They are Canadian Coast Guard approved; in addition we carry a bazillion other lifejackets the USCG would be fine with if they cared to look.
Suggestion: Instead of spending $125USD after shipping on something more suited for kayaking (we have two of them for paddleboard use), why not purchase a world class safety item like the Spinlock Deckvest for $150-$175 more? In the overall cost of boating, the difference is small, but the potential benefit can be huge if needed.

Old 07-04-2019, 16:21   #175

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Suggestion: Instead of spending $125USD after shipping on something more suited for kayaking (we have two of them for paddleboard use), why not purchase a world class safety item like the Spinlock Deckvest for $150-$175 more? In the overall cost of boating, the difference is small, but the potential benefit can be huge if needed.

Depend on your opinon of Mario's opinion:
https://vimeo.com/132245870
Old 07-04-2019, 16:23   #176
cruiser

I just took the plunge and purchased two Spinlock Deckvest Vito Jackets with Ocean Signal MOB1 integrated along with a Spinlock Chest Pack. I figure with the ACR ResQLink+ in the Chest pack... I can’t do better than this.

An online retail store made the purchase available on ebay for $610 each or $1220 for the pair. Here’s the link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333148351316
Old 07-04-2019, 16:37   #177
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Depend on your opinon of Mario's opinion:
https://vimeo.com/132245870
Mario’s logic is bass-ackwards. IMHO. What matters most is how comfortable the device is to wear during the thousands of hours spent on deck rather than during the unlikely 15-30 minutes ever spent in the water.

Please see recent thread by Dockhead regarding Lifejacks where he shares the same opinion. The lifejacket is of no use if it’s not comfortable to be worn on deck, because... people won’t wear them if they’re uncomfortable.
Old 07-04-2019, 17:15   #178
cruiser

Other issues with Mario’s kayak style life vest, is that an exhaused, cold or unconscious MOB will drown wearing it, because it provides absolutely no neck support to keep the head face up and out of the water, or spray protection to keep water from splashing into an open mouth.

Personally, I think they’re great for their intended use for watersports like water skiing, paddleboarding and kayaking, not for offshore rescue and MOB situations.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:26   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Other issues with Mario’s kayak style life vest, is that an exhaused, cold or unconscious MOB will drown wearing it, because it provides absolutely no neck support to keep the head face up and out of the water, or spray protection to keep water from splashing into an open mouth.

Personally, I think they’re great for their intended use for watersports like water skiing, paddleboarding and kayaking, not for offshore rescue and MOB situations.
I agree with this.

A key function of life jackets is to keep your head out of the water. They are supposed to flip you over and keep your head up.

If they don't, you can drown in the first minute from the cold shock effects (remember 1-10-1). Even if you are conscious when you go in.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:02   #180
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree with this.

A key function of life jackets is to keep your head out of the water. They are supposed to flip you over and keep your head up.

If they don't, you can drown in the first minute from the cold shock effects (remember 1-10-1). Even if you are conscious when you go in.

I would argue to have both. You always need a few for guests anyway.

• Inflatables are more comfortable and have the above advantages. They also make you helpless in the water, prevent swimming, and make it virtually impossible to climb back aboard without major help. For example, I find them wholly unsuitable for dinghy racing.
  • Good quality foam jackets allow swimming and climbing back aboard. They also provide rib protection up the mast, in vigorous sailing (pitch pole and you will see), and during rescue efforts. You will also need them for certain in-water maintenance or repair activities, just as you should have a wet/dry suit on board. I like to keep them in the dinghy, where they don't get stolen and are hard to damage (I'm not leaving my $200 vest on the seat and I'm not wearing it around town).
One is not "better" than the other, they are different. I use both types.

I also suspect the statistical differences in safety are microscopic. What matters is whether a PFD is worn, and that is the common advantage of inflatables. Which is more comfortable? In cool weather I actually like foam better, because I dislike inflatables around the neck. In hot weather I am challenged to wear either.

Tags
mob