Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2022, 06:14   #106
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: More Anchoring Etiquette: should I move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
Well, we have Admiralty Law which is the legal “process” that regulates (or controls) anchoring. My reference to parking, however, is essentially about capacity. When an anchorage is at “safe capacity,” entrance of other boats looking to anchor potentially creates an unsafe setting therein for some boats. “Safe as possible” is not a useful metric IMO b/c “safe as possible” might actually be unsafe depending on the situation.

Admiralty law is largely irrelevant and often widely different in different jurisdictions.

The point is we can only be as “ safe as possible “. A popular anchorage can indeed get unsafe. If you think that then you leave , even if your the first to originally arrive. What I do t this you can demand , is that everyone else complied with your definition of safe. Your rights stop at my nose. WhAt you and I determine is “ safe” may be entirely different.

Hence these issues require compromise. If yuh don’t like it then leave
Old 31-07-2022, 07:13   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I believe it varies regionally. You cruise in areas that are not congested. Not everyone has that luxury.

True, although I have spent years in what I consider congested areas: Thousand Islands & some part of the North Channel.
Old 31-07-2022, 07:15   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Admiralty law is largely irrelevant and often widely different in different jurisdictions.

The point is we can only be as “ safe as possible “. A popular anchorage can indeed get unsafe. If you think that then you leave , even if your the first to originally arrive. What I do t this you can demand , is that everyone else complied with your definition of safe. Your rights stop at my nose. WhAt you and I determine is “ safe” may be entirely different.

Agree. Which is exactly what happened in the OP’s case. The person who felt unsafe did what he had to do to feel safe; he left. Problem solved.
Old 31-07-2022, 07:21   #109

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:

I feel you’re missing the point. Anchor clear and keep clear. That’s it; that’s the basic definition of safe. Versus, anchor clear and stay clear if you can. Otherwise, anchor however you can even if it potentially creates a foul berth for someone. But it’s true as mentioned somewhere above that a vessel that anchors clear might not be able to keep clear when dragging down in a T-storm. Perhaps that vessel veered too little scope to shoehorn into a tight space to begin with. I guess I’ve done that w/o consequences a time or two. If the storm does not come, you’re safely anchored (maybe), if it does, then….wait and see. But if you drag into somebody or he you, I don’t see that meeting the definition of having been safely anchored. In this case “safe as possible” would not prove safe, etc.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 07:46   #110

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
This is just a remark, has nothing to do with the OP question.

I sail a small old wooden boat with a long keel, very little windage and a 9 feet bowsprit.
It is not that I do not like cats. However here in Greece with most of the rental yachts now 45feet plus catamarans, I have some issues with them.
They often anchor in front of me, leave lets say 10 yards between their boat and my (fragile) bowsprit. The renters of those yachts do not seem to understand that with windschifts their boat is like a fast balloon on the water, my boat is like a wall in the water. I always have the yawl lugsail up at anchor, that way my boat turns almost as fast as a modern monohull, way slower as a huge cat.
So windschifts (every 6 hours ) are a problem.
Plus, they arrive, 10 minutes later they are gone. Visiting the shops and bars.
Plus they completely bloc the airflow, It is as anchoring behind an high rise. (their steering position is in some cases as high as my spreaders.
Blocking the airflow my windscoop does not work and I have no airco as they have.
Plus, I consume all fumes coming from that yacht. As smoke and oil and noise from the generator, **** of 12 people on board and unplesent smells.
Cats schould anchor nexst to other big cats. Not try to go in between the baby boats.
100%

If you're old and ugly like me, you might try having a solar shower on your foredeck in your birthday suit when a charter cat anchors within spitting distance in front of you.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 07:53   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agree. Which is exactly what happened in the OP’s case. The person who felt unsafe did what he had to do to feel safe; he left. Problem solved.
Oh nice. Such a great example of working together on solving a problem. Run the guy off, problem solved.
Old 31-07-2022, 07:59   #112
Nearly an old salt

More Anchoring Etiquette: should I move?

Quote:
I feel you’re missing the point. Anchor clear and keep clear. That’s it; that’s the basic definition of safe. Versus, anchor clear and stay clear if you can. Otherwise, anchor however you can even if it potentially creates a foul berth for someone. But it’s true as mentioned somewhere above that a vessel that anchors clear might not be able to keep clear when dragging down in a T-storm. Perhaps that vessel veered too little scope to shoehorn into a tight space to begin with. I guess I’ve done that w/o consequences a time or two. If the storm does not come, you’re safely anchored (maybe), if it does, then….wait and see. But if you drag into somebody or he you, I don’t see that meeting the definition of having been safely anchored. In this case “safe as possible” would not prove safe, etc.

I’m not arguing the basic tenants of safe anchoring. I’m merely pointing out that in a crowded popular anchorage , you may have to accept that it’s only as “ safe as possible “.

What I was saying is that merely because you arrive first does not imbue you with the power to insist everyone anchors to your satisfaction. If you don’t like what’s happening , you can elect to leave.

Popular anchorages often turn into a mess in a blow. It’s a fact of life , either avoid them or accept the limitations.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:01   #113

Quote:

Nonsense, as usual. If a later arriving boat swings or drags into you, they are responsible for any damage to you...end of story.

Yes, compromise is a good thing, as is anchoring in responsible/considerate manner with a reasonable amount of scope for the depth and conditions, especially in popular anchorage... but the primary responsibility for avoiding collision is always on the later arriving boat.

Poor manners are not a legal concept, irresponsible seamanship is.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:07   #114
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Nonsense, as usual. If a later arriving boat swings or drags into you, they are responsible for any damage to you...end of story.

Yes, compromise is a good thing, as is anchoring in responsible/considerate manner with a reasonable amount of scope for the depth and conditions, especially in popular anchorage... but the primary responsibility for avoiding collision is always on the later arriving boat.

Poor manners are not a legal concept, irresponsible seamanship is.

Clearly if anyone drags including you , the responsibility lies with the boat that dragged , no doubt insurers and possibly courts will then decide

Again it’s not nonsense , you cant insist that people around you anchor to your satisfaction , you have no such “ powers “ , you can “ ask” but you can’t insist and if you do you’ll must likely be ignored.

The apportionment of loss or damage is of course an entirely different matter.

This was solely my point. You can’t insist merely by arriving first that your “ standards “ of safety apply. It’s a shared resource , you have to compromise or leave, that’s irrespective of when you arrived. I fully agree you must swing clear. But many people will anchor such that about a boat length at most is clearance , with different rode lengths it can sometimes be very difficult to determine actual swinging room.

None of this promotes bad anchoring but recognises that crowded and hence compromised anchorages are a fact of life

And PS don’t be rude just make your point

The same situation arises when somebody lays their chain over yours. While technically they might be responsible ultimately if you leave you’ll have to unhook your chain from theirs. No point arguing , you need to leave you have to sort it out.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:20   #115

Quote:
I’m not arguing the basic tenants of safe anchoring. I’m merely pointing out that in a crowded popular anchorage , you may have to accept that it’s only as “ safe as possible “.

What I was saying is that merely because you arrive first does not imbue you with the power to insist everyone anchors to your satisfaction. If you don’t like what’s happening, you can elect to leave.
Not everyone; only the skipper(s) and vessel(s) attempting to potentially foul my safe berth by anchoring too near by my estimation. It’s as someone mentioned above; a “conflict” between the social principles of “first come, first served”, versus “there’s always room for one more.” However, by application, the latter is by permission of those already present—so it’s relative. The former is a widely accepted and widely applied standard for the sharing of limited availabilities, and that’s not relative. First is first. “I got here first; this is my spot as defined by my swinging radius.” “There may be ‘room’ for one more in this spot, but only if I agree.” This point of view has nothing to do directly with “everyone.” Maybe anyone, but not everyone in that anchorage that day, etc.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:24   #116
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Not everyone; only the skipper(s) and vessel(s) attempting to potentially foul my safe berth by anchoring too near by my estimation. It’s as someone mentioned above; a “conflict” between the social principles of “first come, first served”, versus “there’s always room for one more.” However, by application, the latter is by permission of those already present—so it’s relative. The former is a widely accepted and widely applied standard for the sharing of limited availability, and that’s not relative. First is first. “I got here first; this is my spot as defined by my swinging radius.” “There may be room for one more in this spot, but only if I agree.” This point of view has nothing to do directly with “everyone.” Maybe anyone, but not everyone in that anchorage that day, etc.

I’m sorry , but “ only if I agree “ is nonsense. Your standards do not apply. In popular anchorages the compromise is everyone effectively accepts things are less then optimum. If you don’t like what happens …. Simply leave ( and many do )

So if you adopt and unrealistic swinging radius you will find your swinging circle WILL be compromised and you will have to either shorten scope or leave. Shouting at the other person will achieve nothing. ( and rarely results in anything useful happening )

In France for example , I always put out my fenders in anchorages. Occasionally the swinging circles overlapped , we sorted it out amicably over a shared glass of wine. We laughed at the typically Anglo Saxons screaming “ to close “

Compromise is the key.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:24   #117

Quote:
Clearly if anyone drags including you , the responsibility lies with the boat that dragged.

Again it’s not nonsense , you cant insist that people around you anchor to your satisfaction , you have no such “ powers “ , you can “ ask” but you can’t insist and if you do you’ll must likely be ignored.

The apportionment of loss or damage is of course an entirely different matter.

This was solely my point. You can’t insist merely by arriving first that your “ standards “ of safety apply. It’s a shared resource , you have to compromise or leave, that’s irrespective of when you arrived.

None of this promotes bad anchoring but recognises that crowded and hence compromised anchorages are a fact of life

And PS don’t be rude just make your point

The same situation arises when somebody lays their chain over yours. While technically they might be responsible ultimately if you leave you’ll have to unhook your chain from theirs. No point arguing , you need to leave you have to sort it out.
I would suggest that it is not at all. "The apportionment of loss or damage" is directly related to your right not to suffer damages from a later arriving vessel, and it is that right that gives you authority to request that another vessel move or be liable for any damage to you should they decline your request.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:28   #118
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
I would suggest that it is not at all. "The apportionment of loss or damage" is directly related to your right not to suffer damages from a later arriving vessel, and it is that right that gives you authority to request that another vessel move or be liable for any damage to you should they decline your request.

Clearly you’ve not anchored in popular crowded anchorages , demanding someone moves rarely results in them moving and usually results in them ignoring you.

Damage apportionment is a function of insurers and courts. Nothing to do with what you think.

The fact that you “ could “ be damaged by a boat does not give you the right to control that boat. Otherwise no one could moor next to you on a quay wall.

You have no right to “ forbid “ an action that has a rare ( or not so rare ) chance of damaging your boat. You merely have a legal right to pursue a civil claim for compensation should something happen. You cannot control something that hasn’t yet happened.

For example , in every med moor , there is a risk of damage to my boat. I do not get the “ right “ to forbid such mooring

The same is true for anchoring , I may feel it’s unsafe , that’s irelevant. It’s only if something actually happens am I entitled to seek compensation
Old 31-07-2022, 08:33   #119

“Agreement” does not have to be explicit. It can also be in the form of the absence of protest, etc.
Old 31-07-2022, 08:43   #120

Quote:
Clearly you’ve not anchored in popular crowded anchorages , demanding someone moves rarely results in them moving and usually results in them ignoring you.

Damage apportionment is a function of insurers and courts. Nothing to do with what you think.

The fact that you “ could “ be damaged by a boat does not give you the right to control that boat. Otherwise no one could moor next to you on a quay wall.

You have no right to “ forbid “ an action that has a rare ( or not so rare ) chance of damaging your boat. You merely have a legal right to pursue a civil claim for compensation should something happen. You cannot control something that hasn’t yet happened.

For example , in every med moor , there is a risk of damage to my boat. I do not get the “ right “ to forbid such mooring

The same is true for anchoring , I may feel it’s unsafe , that’s irelevant. It’s only if something actually happens am I entitled to seek compensation
So after many posts and exchanges we find that in opinion of some, perhaps many, there actually is no such thing as “etiquette” when it comes to anchoring. Interesting. It’s perfectly acceptable now to come in and effectively drive off someone who might have been there for some period by threatening his/her safety comfort zone under the argument that no one has any “privilege” of prior arrival, or its corollaries. Overdemand justifies it. I’m forever astonished what I learn in these forums!

Tags
anchor, anchoring