Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Most secure "slip" knot?

I have used that one before, but thought I made it up! That one definitely needs supervision because there is no load on the last slip loop, so it can easily fall out and then the whole thing unravels.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Been busy . . . The application was dinghing out a large/heavy anchor. When they get over say 60lbs most of us will hang them from the dinghy transom, and untie or cut the rope when you are over your desired spot. If there is chop the anchor will bounce and swing. I have always just made up a knot on the spot was was curious what was "correct".

I have never done a slip knot on the piling. I usually take the line around the piling and back (both ends) to a cleat on Hawk. But I can see I lip knot might be useful in some specific situations - like when the piling is so rough the line will not run at all smoothly around it.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:29   #18

This is far from your application, but the traditional way to release an anchor is by using a "trigger" line. From an attachment point on the cathead, the line goes down and thru the anchor ring, then back up and inboard over the cathead, down to a thumb cleat, then to a bitt or cleat. Take it down to a turn, and let go when ready.

Maybe you could hang your anchor from a spare line brought back to a cleat. Having the line doubled to different belays would divide the anchor's weight, and make the operation a lot easier on your hands.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:04   #19

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Been busy . . . The application was dinghing out a large/heavy anchor. When they get over say 60lbs most of us will hang them from the dinghy transom, and untie or cut the rope when you are over your desired spot. If there is chop the anchor will bounce and swing. I have always just made up a knot on the spot was was curious what was "correct".
Evans,

I'm not sure what is "correct", but I seem to recall from a couple of decades ago lowering motor whale boats from a Navy ship with a quick-release on the sea painter--I can't recall the proper term or find a reference or photo right now for this method, but it could be adapted for your application like this:
Make a short rope fast to the dinghy, with a loop or spliced eye in the end. Pass the loop or eye through the anchor shackle or other convenient "hole" in the anchor and place a wooden fid or tapered belaying pin through the loop/eye to hold it. Snug everything up and let the line take the weight of the anchor. To release the anchor, simply pull out the fid/pin. With the right amount of taper and a strong pin, this should hold securely yet release reliably under load. As I recall, this was used with the eye passing through the eye in another line (possibly the sea painter)--does anyone know the details on this?
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:29   #20

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
have never done a slip knot on the piling. I usually take the line around the piling and back (both ends) to a cleat on Hawk. But I can see I lip knot might be useful in some specific situations - like when the piling is so rough the line will not run at all smoothly around it.
When I double a line back to the boat, I have a knack for getting the line jammed between the piling and the deck boards of the dock. I like being able to keep the hitch elevated above these pinch points, plus the whole line comes aboard very quickly--no trailing lines in the water, even for just a few seconds. Of course, this is just for a few minutes while leaving the dock--the hitch is not secure enough to leave unattended.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot