Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2024, 15:51   #1

Mystic to Annapolis time frame

I am considering purchasing a Capr Dory 25D in Mystic, CT and sailing it down to the Annapolis area to home base it there. How much time should I plan for to make that passage?
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 06:01   #2

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36
Re: Mystic to Annapolis time frame

interesting thoughts, 1st it is trail-able so why not rent a uhaul and truck it down, 1 - 2 days low risk.

2nd is sailing it, not the smartest thing to buy a boat and just cast off and sail open water home, you should first spend lots of time shaking down the boat, see how it sails,find all the oh-my's that come with a new used boat, then do the trip. (regardless of a good survey there are things the get missed and I would never assume the sails are strong, the rigging is solid, the chain plates are good, the tanks are clean and leak proof, motor is solid shape alternator is putting out good charge and battery is fresh and that's just a start.

But if your going to throw risk to the wind with a boat that small I would sail down the long island sound, find the slack time to run through hell's gate and then bounce down the jersey coast to Cape May. Then find the right time to run up the Del Bay (can be rough) and slide through the C&D canal then day sail to home. Plan on a extra day or two of fuel & water on the rails. You will need two people at a min as CD25D is a tiler and at best will have a clip on auto pilot if any which can fail easily, so someone at helm at all time. (one rule I was told, never bring a wife with you on a shakedown cruise, it could be her last trip on the boat).

The later trip could be 10 days or the rest of your life with stops for fuel, water and stuff assuming nothing breaks. A delivery team might do it in 3-4 days if they trust the boat.

I don't want to scare you off, but in my case I spent 6 months shaking down a new used boat in the windward islands before making the 1800nm run home to Annapolis and then it was a rather uneventful trip other than learning the fuel gauge was just a hint.

So that trailer and pickup rental starting to sound interesting? when you get down here ping me and I can help you setup your boat for C-Bay sailing!
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 06:05   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I Have done Newport to Annapolis in as little as four days, but that is going overnight down to Cape May offshore, then overnight up into the Chesapeake. Minimum heading down LI Sound to NYC, then down the Jersey shore, up the Chesapeake, then down to Annapolis is about a week, but two weeks would make for a much more relaxed trip. Not sure of your mast height, but you could do a good chunk of New Jersey down the Intracoastal Waterway if you wanted to, but most bigger boats do the coastal route in one or two big hops, weather permitting. Do not head up Delaware Bay without a good forecast of a southerly wind with a north-flowing current, and be prepared to spend a night, possibly at the Cohansey River.
Old 08-04-2024, 06:28   #4

Excellent feedback! You convinced me to trailer it. I’ll save my adventures to when I really know the boat.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 12:41   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Good decision
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 15:20   #6

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

Like I said glad to help you learn the ropes, I am down t HolidayPoint in edgewater. BTW: the per foot dockage in Holiday Point is lot less than Annapolis. Plus it is a working yard so you can get things fixed easly.

Power and water included and a west marine just up the road and just over the RT 2 bridge from Annapolis. 10 mins to either Bacon Sails or Fwaccet
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 16:01   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
Good decision
Good decision. Also, the NJ coast can be a tough trip. Not many places to bail out, especially in bad weather.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis