Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 10:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: National modification of the IRPCS (Colregs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Schedule 1 is NOT IRPCS. It is part of Collision Regulations (C.R.C. c.1461) i.e. a totally separate piece of national legislation.

So Canada has not "modified IRPCS". They have produced their own legislation based on IRPCS.
Title on the cover of Transport Canada current "Modifications" (TP10739B) ...............

International Regulations For Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972
with Canadian Modifications.

Suggest you contact Transport Canada and tell them they are not allowed to do that.
Old 16-01-2016, 11:33   #17

I picked up a really nice laminated cockpit aid to memory for over here.

Anybody doing something similar over there?

Sounds like it's worth getting one.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:44   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Or one could just hoist a dayshape and thereby be in full compliance with COLREGS everywhere. I realize this may be a novel concept with our coastal sailors, but a striking aspect of taking an RYA course in a coastal part of France a couple of years ago was to see the variety of dayshapes used by private yachts and fishing boats alike. All anchored sailboats appeared to have hoisted a ball. Here on Lake Ontario, I see dayshapes rarely, very rarely on sailboats.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 13:56   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
I picked up a really nice laminated cockpit aid to memory for over here.

Anybody doing something similar over there?

Sounds like it's worth getting one.

No I just keep repeating the mantra 'red right return, red right return' whenever sailing near the backaswwards channels
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:03   #20

Another problem is how to tell if your entering a "harbor" or leaving one. We have many islands up here in Maine, and quite a few have channel markers. What constitutes entering a harbor when there is none nearby is a real challenge. As long as you can see both the green and red markers you can figure it out, but in the fog, seeing only one red marker requires a trip below to the charts, or if you have one, a satnav system to show you where you are. Some folks follow lobster boats, which usually results in the folks winding up hitting rocks or getting stranded on the flats. Those lobster boats have local knowledge and a very shallow draft.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:17   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
No I just keep repeating the mantra 'red right return, red right return' whenever sailing near the backaswwards channels
Plus for me eordswogs, east of reds west of greens in the AICW or sorgnogs for the gulf ICW, plus follow the purple brick road and toe the magenta line. It helps if the marks are in pairs that can be driven between, but if in doubt and only a single mark is in sight we slow right down and pray, worked so far and have yet to break our towboat us virginity. I do so miss the deep open waters of back home, even if they are busy with ships and have occasional fogs and strong winds, even sometimes all those features at the same time.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Another problem is how to tell if your entering a "harbor" or leaving one. We have many islands up here in Maine, and quite a few have channel markers. What constitutes entering a harbor when there is none nearby is a real challenge. As long as you can see both the green and red markers you can figure it out, but in the fog, seeing only one red marker requires a trip below to the charts, or if you have one, a satnav system to show you where you are. Some folks follow lobster boats, which usually results in the folks winding up hitting rocks or getting stranded on the flats. Those lobster boats have local knowledge and a very shallow draft.
This a bit of thread drift, but

When determining to which side to leave a buoy, one must first remember that the General Direction of Bouyage (clockwise around continents) trumps the Local Direction of Buoyage (the upstream rules). This one often confounds folks in travelling north of Campbell River on the west coast of Canada.

There are four factors in the upstream rules
1) returning from seaward
2) entering a harbour
3) travelling towards the headwaters of a river (upstream)
4) travelling in the same direction as the flood current. (check the current arrows on the charts)
I have never seen these contradict each other.

This is a buoyage issue rather than Colregs.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
It helps if the marks are in pairs that can be driven between,
That is not always a good idea

Old 16-01-2016, 15:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is not always a good idea

Have I missed something, I meant as in there being two marks it gives a clue which side of each to pass ( unless making an inadvertent 90 deg turn between them) whereas one mark alone has two options one being wrong one being right.

I like POSH stuff! Port out Starboard Home but accept that in the ICW it is not so easy to determine which way is considered in/out/up/down/home. as it varies in short order, notably near inlets.

All bright/clever suggestions and mnemonics welcomed, I'm a stoopid Brit in the Boon docks seeking salvation
Old 16-01-2016, 15:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Have I missed something, I meant as in there being two marks it gives a clue which side of each to pass ( unless making an inadvertent 90 deg turn between them) whereas one mark alone has two options one being wrong one being right.

I like POSH stuff! Port out Starboard Home but accept that in the ICW it is not so easy to determine which way is considered in/out/up/down/home. as it varies in short order, notably near inlets.

All bright/clever suggestions and mnemonics welcomed, I'm a stoopid Brit in the Boon docks seeking salvation
We are in system B ( I should have mentioned that. But the buoy shape and colour would give a hint.

Look at the current arrow near the bottom. The flood direction is to the northwest. Leave the red buoy to starboard and the green to port when going north. "red right returning"
Old 16-01-2016, 15:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We are in system B ( I should have mentioned that. But the buoy shape and colour would give a hint.

Look at the current arrow near the bottom. The flood direction is to the northwest. Leave the red buoy to starboard and the green to port when going north. "red right returning"
WE see few buoys here on the bottom right side, mostly posts with either triangles or squares, not seen any arrows. I think hereabouts it basically considered to run 'clockwise' from New Jersey to Texas I always did prefer to be out at sea plotting than inside and map reading