Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 20:31   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post

First, I respect other people's boats as much as if they were my own. Second, I have no desire to impress anyone with my sailing skills (or lack of them). Third, the textbook for the ASA 103 exam, SAILING FUNDAMENTALS, says the ASA Basic Coastal Cruising standard states (among other things), "You should be able to anchor the boat, reef the mainsail, change the foresail, and safely negotiate the boat in and out of it's slip under sail or power."

I interpret this to mean that sailing in and out of a slip is a skill worth mastering.
You learn all you can, dude. Don't let him discourage you from practicing skills you will need later. Let him sit in his cozy marina with his air conditioning and security police while people like you and I learn how to capture the breeze!
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 10:41   #62

Re: Need advice for sailing out of a slip in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
You are right, the line gets shifted to help turn the boat. hopefully by a keen and enthusastic crew.

I would lead it outside everything down the portside. But make it fast to the bow initally.
This works. I've used it to force the snout of a high windage Morgan into the 25 knot breeze. Put your most experienced crew member on the line.

Be prepared: If it fouls on the dock end there's no time for hesitation. Abandon it to a dockhand for later & continue your maneuver.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing