Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 16:26   #16

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: New anchor chain in Duplex stainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplexity View Post
I believe the chain I'm looking for is good enough to use in the Med..
But I'm not pretty sure and that's why I posted this thread.
The Duplex chain is made in Germany, tested and certified. I will have it electro polished and Ketten-Wälder offer 3 years warranty against corrosion, but only for Duplex not for 316L.
All Ketten Wälder's marine chains are in grade 60 or 60plus (I have seen a common standard of other manufactures are 316L in grade 50). K-W price list for Duplex (318LN) is 27% more expensive than 316L, but they also offer superduplex (A182F61) which is 130% more expensive than 316L. (Superduplex: €57 /meter).
That's a really nice material. I didn't know you could get it. Pity it is so expensive. Definately a superyacht product.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:25   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 450
Re: New anchor chain in Duplex stainless

I’m struggle with cost as well.. But if I would avoid flaking problem and no jam of the chain and at the same time double lifetime (at least?) = I’ll be happy to pay three times more for Duplex versus galvanized Maggi-Aqua7.

Price I posted was for Superduplex but ex VAT.
Including German VAT and electro-polished 8 mm, CROMOX made in Germany,
price per meter:
Superduplex (ASTM A479), Grade 60 plus: €67.6
Duplex (AIS 318LN), Grade 60 plus: €39.2 (I will pay €38 x 60m + €113 shipping).

Another reply.. I guess reason why everybody use chain instead of rope should be chain works much better in windlass and you should probably have a mess of rope in anchor box. But said that, I know for instance in Sweden it’s very common to anchoring with bow on and when Yachts have windlass installed at aft, it’s standard to use lead-rope (no chain at all). What I have heard it works well (with special rope gypsy) but it’s obvious you will not have same efficiency in anchor grip vs more heavy chain. You should complement with a system described earlier on in this thread. Then you have another disadvantage with rope, at least if you use rope all way, sharp rocks/other things could cut it off even if you don't swinging around much (In Sweden you normally have very good anchoring bottom (mud or sand) and no sharp rocks so there you may not need chain).
Duplexity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor