Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 15:55   #16

Re: New boat advice

Yes, some good rec's on boats smaller than my recommendation for sure. Still, I want freeboard off shore/gulfstream.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 16:20   #17

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

In between sailboats I have owned several powerboats. One of my favorites was a Bayliner Trophy 18 Walk-Around Cuddy. It was a great boat and I took it out through the jetties of Mayport and several miles offshore to fish many times.

I was working for a Marine Electronics shop and we were doing the annual boatshow in town and I bought it off the floor from a local dealer . I got it brand new for just under 13K in 1994.

We had a lot of fun with that boat but I had to sell it soon after we got it because I got my wife pregnant. The best part was I sold it to my father-in-law so I still got use it sometimes until he finally sold it a few years later !

It definitely does not take a big boat to get out on the ocean - especially on the Gulf side - it just takes the right kind of boat, and a close eye on the weather at all times !!!
Old 04-10-2018, 17:29   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I've got one like this https://us.letgo.com/en/i/21-hydroswift-boat_TwXGHWuJNN sitting in my yard (good for going 30 miles over to Catalina, but I don't fish anymore, and I've got the Formosa), let it go almost free, but it's about 2500 miles away.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 17:50   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

I had no idea that Trophy was a Bayliner brand. Also not sure if that makes me think more highly of Bayliner or less highly of Trophy, lol.

Honestly, the most important thing when buying a used powerboat that you’re only going to keep for a few years is the engine. Find one that runs and runs well, as a replacement motor in that size range will be more than the value of the boat.
Old 04-10-2018, 18:03   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
New boat advice

Bayliner is just one of many brands owned by the Brunswick corporation.
Trophy is another. Brunswick is the largest manufacturer of boats there is, whatever that is worth.
They bought out many companies.
I had a 2103 CC Trophy Pro we used for family diving and occasional fishing, I found it to be a very good quality boat. In my opinion a smaller non air conditioned cuddly cabin boat in Florida is just a sweat box, and I’ve owned one, I won’t again, although I’m sure it’s usable as long as it’s not Summer.
Just don’t get a bay boat, if you ever want to leave the bay.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	178463
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 18:05   #21

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
New boat advice

Parker. Eastern. Aquasport. A whole pile of other great boats out there.
Modified deep vee.
Throttle back and drive around the waves if it’s crappy. I’ve got an older 17 foot aquasport as a second toy these days. Came with a fantastic e-tec engine.
My family and friends won’t let me sell it cause it’s too much fun. I have to trailer it to distant shores for them to use.
I’ve done the 20 mile commute to Boston many times. Sometimes coming home in stuff I would never have left Home in. The commute keeps me within 5 miles from shore. It’s comfy. The pic is from a commute.

Whalers won’t sink but they pound like mad. That hurts. They are a local product for me and I’ve done plenty of stupid things in them. Solid. Yes. Pound in chop. Yes.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	178467
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 18:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatingMike View Post
PortClydeMe thanks for the advice and beautiful boat. I am definitely looking to keep the shoreline in view and learning is my main goal. ..... I thought some expert advice on the topic would be best, most my experience operating a boat has been on lakes that if you really had to you could swim back to shore. I thought maybe key hopping would be fun and would give me a taste of the salt.
You're very welcome. That Whaler Eastport photo was not my boat, but exactly the same as my boat. Anyway, just pick a good boat, and pick days with a good weather forecast. Somebody mentioned a Mako, and those are also great boats. I just preferred my 16' Whaler. No big deal.

As for ocean vs. lakes, don't be too shy. It's all the same. The ocean has different fish, and sometimes big swells. And, big ships, sometimes. Be careful. Get used to using a compass.

I ran my Whaler on the coast of Maine. See the attached photos.

Port Clyde to Monhegan Island = 10.5 miles. To Matinicus = 19.5 miles. No biggie. Just big swells, kelp, heavy fog, lobster lines, etc. No big deal. Day trips 10-15 miles out, no problem. As I mentioned, fill the gas tanks before shoving off, and make sure your OBs are in good running shape. Even if stuck on a 5.5hp Johnson auxiliary OB, you'll eventually get to shore. Add a VHF, if you want. I never worried, my compass was fine, and those were the days before GPS and mobile phones.

Once again, an old Whaler Eastport cannot be sunk. Think about that. No need to worry about "swimming back to shore" if you have the right boat. Don't get hit by a hurricane ... or an oil tanker. You'll be fine.

Cheers

Ps; Florida has sandy beaches. Maine has fog, big swells, and rocks. (hahaha)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.47.59 AM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	178464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.49.52 AM.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	178465  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 9.51.12 AM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	178466  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:25   #23

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Working for the Electronics guy - we installed all kinds of stuff on all kinds of boats, from simple fishfinders all the way up to combo packages of integrated gps/radar/autopilot/fishfinders on big sportsfishers, and we did refrigeration and ac - I had a chance to get intimate with a lot of different boats, sail and power.

Combine that with the ridiculous number of boats I have owned - my current boat is number 21 - and I have a pretty varied experience.

The Bayliner was a great one. The 18 was small but that made it a lot of fun to use. Yes, the inside of any small cabin is going to be hot in the summer, but we just used it for storage and a place to pee. It was remarkably seaworthy for its size too. But I think any decent center console or WAC with a good deep Vee type hull can be safe offshore if the operator is cautious and doesn't push the limits. Most important would be a good reliable engine, and a backup is always a good idea too.

For the original question, I would look for a recent model of good repute, something that has been well maintained, have the engine serviced by a good mechanic, and go enjoy the water.

Tags
boat