Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 15:58   #136
cruiser

Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The Japanesse had no authority the hunt whales, they regularly flouted opinion and bought up votes to ensure their "scientific research" continued.
The Japanese are a sovereign nation. That's all the authority they need.

That's all the authority anyone needs, there is not a higher authority. Above that, the only alternatives are negotiations with the nation in question or war.
Old 29-10-2014, 23:28   #137

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

reminds me of an epithet i read somewhere else on here 'never argue with an idiot, he'll just drag you down to his level where he has much more experience'...
Old 29-10-2014, 23:48   #138

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its sad that people write this stuff, for if all of us just accepted the "status quo", or abided by what "authorities" told us to do, then the world would be a far nastier place.

The phase " one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" has never been truer. Even the term "terrorist" is now banded about like confetti and our fears stoked to allow massive suspensions of civil liberties and freedoms.

The Japanesse had no authority the hunt whales, they regularly flouted opinion and bought up votes to ensure their "scientific research" continued. It is and always was a "scam". and least now its being recognised as that.

I applaud ( but wont be a participator) in direct action clauses, sometimes however amateurish, they are the only way to force change, Its simply undeniable that Sea Shepard and Paul Watson, have brought this issue to the worlds media, such media that without the "fun and games" Paul provided, would ignore the story, and well Paul Watson knows it.

I just love the idea of him and a COLREGS debate , what nonsense.

I thank the gods, we have organisations like Sea Shepard, Greenpeace, Amnesty etc, without them and many other unsung heroes, wed never move totalitarian ideas, and the over-arching profit motive of the worlds commercial organisations.

I certainly wouldn't trust BP, to save me from environmental disasters , would you .
Old 29-10-2014, 23:50   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
The Japanese are a sovereign nation. That's all the authority they need.

That's all the authority anyone needs, there is not a higher authority. Above that, the only alternatives are negotiations with the nation in question or war.
Well in that case you won't mind them coming over and fishing as they like off the US coast
Old 29-10-2014, 23:51   #140

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
A joke because, in spite of spending every summer the last ten years steaming round the southern ocean, the Japanese are still able to kill hundreds of whales a year, often in full view of Sea Shepherd vessels. A joke because for all their big talk of being 'pirates' and 'ready to die to save whales' the worst they often do is throw bottles of acid on the decks of the whaling ships, or steer in front of the ships so they can say on camera how they were rammed. A joke because they call themselves environmentalists yet burn thousands of tonnes of fuel a year and regularly dump dozens of bucketfuls of nylon rope in to the relatively unpolluted Antarctic ocean knowing full well that it makes good television but is totally ineffective at entangling the propellors of the whaling ships. A joke because they have proven time and time again that the biggest danger to their lives is their own poor seamanship and undisciplined, amateurish command structure rather than the Japanese.

I would like to believe that I am as strong an environmentalist as anyone on those boats, but I have the sense to realise that the biggest step in stopping Japanese whaling was the ICJ ruling in March of this year, which Japan has agreed to abide by, and which looks set to stop southern ocean whaling for good. If a tenth of the effort which has gone in to Sea Shepherds haphazard 'direct action' over the last decade had gone in to campaigning for this ruling, it could have been made years ago. Of course, it wouldn't have made nearly as good television, or kept Sea Shepherd in funds...
+2

I simply dislike Sea Sheperds tactics and seamanship. Hardly scientific and calling it a research vessel is a con.
Old 30-10-2014, 00:10   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
+2

I simply dislike Sea Sheperds tactics and seamanship. Hardly scientific and calling it a research vessel is a con.

I think this is where the failing lay in so many anti Sea Sheperd responses. They are just about always so ridiculously emotional and motivated by uninformed statements. Like this one as an example, 'Hardly Scientific and a con' when we know nothing about the research and what they will be doing.

This reminds me of many years of rejection of Greenpeace research, based not in the science or the method but based purely on an emotional response of dislike and sometimes hatred for an organisation that has as its core protecting the environment. Of course Greenpeace research is much more commonly accepted in this day and age, but in the 80's and 90's they were much more likely to be treated as 'radical' greenies.

But on the other leg, Sea Shepherd display the Jolly Roger as an intentional joke and surprise surprise the naysayers can't see the joke and with all seriousness call them 'Pirates' and even worse 'terrorists', thus demeaning the seriousness of the likes of those who destroyed the twin towers on 9/11.
Old 30-10-2014, 01:12   #142
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Of course Greenpeace research is much more commonly accepted in this day and age, but in the 80's and 90's they were much more likely to be treated as 'radical' greenies.
That's a fascinating statement, in several ways.
Old 30-10-2014, 19:58   #143
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

I think this is where the failing lay in so many anti Sea Sheperd responses. They are just about always so ridiculously emotional and motivated by uninformed statements. Like this one as an example, 'Hardly Scientific and a con' when we know nothing about the research and what they will be doing.

This reminds me of many years of rejection of Greenpeace research, based not in the science or the method but based purely on an emotional response of dislike and sometimes hatred for an organisation that has as its core protecting the environment. Of course Greenpeace research is much more commonly accepted in this day and age, but in the 80's and 90's they were much more likely to be treated as 'radical' greenies.

But on the other leg, Sea Shepherd display the Jolly Roger as an intentional joke and surprise surprise the naysayers can't see the joke and with all seriousness call them 'Pirates' and even worse 'terrorists', thus demeaning the seriousness of the likes of those who destroyed the twin towers on 9/11.
You might want to read the actual Greenpeace manifestos before removing the "radical" tag.

Personally, I like the idea of nuclear medicine. I always enjoy discussing this topic with the young "activists" asking for donations in front of Trader Joes. Heh. If they only had any idea.

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-10-2014, 20:12   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
You might want to read the actual Greenpeace manifestos before removing the "radical" tag.

Personally, I like the idea of nuclear medicine. I always enjoy discussing this topic with the young "activists" asking for donations in front of Trader Joes. Heh. If they only had any idea.

JRM

"before removing the 'radical' tag" you suggesting removing it or keeping it?

What's 'nuclear medicine' got to do with the thread?
Old 30-10-2014, 21:33   #145

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
+2

Old 31-10-2014, 08:17   #146
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
"before removing the 'radical' tag" you suggesting removing it or keeping it?

What's 'nuclear medicine' got to do with the thread?
Someone earlier was comparing GP to SSCS and mentioned that GP weren't "radicals" like SSCS. I disagree.

Greenpeace envisions a "nuclear free" world. Not just nuclear power or weapons, but any form of harnessed application of radiation. Including medicine. That's where it came in.

I have a hard time with most large organized "green" efforts. Just walk the park after Earth Day and see all the trash. Most of them are just hot air. If you want to see real environmental activism, Google "Eden Reforestation Project." (Shameless plug... yes I know)

JRM

Old 31-10-2014, 08:25   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
+2

Old 31-10-2014, 08:55   #148

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

JRM

The wry hummer was great!
Old 31-10-2014, 10:49   #149

Quote:
Someone earlier was comparing GP to SSCS and mentioned that GP weren't "radicals" like SSCS. I disagree.

Greenpeace envisions a "nuclear free" world. Not just nuclear power or weapons, but any form of harnessed application of radiation. Including medicine. That's where it came in.

I have a hard time with most large organized "green" efforts. Just walk the park after Earth Day and see all the trash. Most of them are just hot air. If you want to see real environmental activism, Google "Eden Reforestation Project." (Shameless plug... yes I know)app
Have you a reference to your claim that GP are anti 'any form of radiation including medicine'? I've only ever heard that from the anti radicals, never from GP.
And your illustration about 'rubbish' being left after Earth Day rally is quite silly to me. If you have a large rally for clean up the world day, lots of rubbish would be left that needs cleaning up, that's what happens when you get thousands of people in the one event. It doesn't reflect on the organisation at all.
Old 31-10-2014, 10:56   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:

I have a hard time with most large organized "green" efforts. Just walk the park after Earth Day and see all the trash. Most of them are just hot air. If you want to see real environmental activism, Google "Eden Reforestation Project." (Shameless plug... yes I know)

JRM

My personal way of doing the green thing was to buy 168 wooded acres on the Bras d'or Lakes, to keep them from being clear cut, as was the adjacent lot.

I don't like big charities, but still wanted to do my part.
Closed Thread