Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 13:40   #166

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
The bottom line is that the annual whale hunt has been totally uneconomic for years, but is continued as a political exercise. If they do indeed go ahead with next years hunt in violation of the ICJ ruling, I can only feel that as this was instigated by nation states (Aus, NZ) rather than stateless activists, .
I just want to point something out. The AUSTRALIAN ICJ case was instigated, not by the Australian Government (it was not New Zealand) but by the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS), a little known but very long existing 'stateless activists' which lobbied for a legal solution for over a decade.

Along side the actions of the AMCS was other conservation organisations such as Greenpeace doing their bit.

Sea Shepherd (god bless em) were not content to simply lobby for a decade and acted to physically stop the illegal activity.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:44   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It made me smile. As do some of the things that I write by mistake sometimes. The one advantage, and possibly the only one, of being a mod is that I can go back and change my cringeworthy posts if I see them before somebody quotes them. After they are quoted I have to leave it.

Coops.
That does sound handy. Anyway, It was jolly close to not being nonsense. What I think I really meant to write was 'some foreigners'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I just want to point something out. The AUSTRALIAN ICJ case was instigated, not by the Australian Government (it was not New Zealand) but by the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS), a little known but very long existing 'stateless activists' which lobbied for a legal solution for over a decade.

Along side the actions of the AMCS was other conservation organisations such as Greenpeace doing their bit.

Sea Shepherd (god bless em) were not content to simply lobby for a decade and acted to physically stop the illegal activity.
Once again, I stand corrected, but I believe that the Aus and NZ governments are pretty heavily critical of the Japanese whaling.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:47   #168

Quote:
I believe that the Aus and NZ governments are pretty heavily critical of the Japanese whaling.
New Zealand, hell yeah!

Australian Government, not anymore. It was the Labour government that definately was. But the new Liberal government is a Climate doubter and we won't be seeing them do anything what so ever about whaling, overfishing or anything else to do with the environment.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:50   #169

Quote:
Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS)
Have been a member since 94....
Old 05-11-2014, 14:04   #170

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Have been a member since 94....
Post something on them. I might contribute.
Old 05-11-2014, 14:05   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Post something on them. I might contribute.
Australian Marine Conservation Society
Old 05-11-2014, 14:13   #172

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Thanks. I'll look at it. Had to much grog right now.
Old 05-11-2014, 15:08   #173
cruiser

Quote:
My point was that that rather than being at odds with a select group of people, which could represent a legitimate difference of opinion between different cultures with potential merits on both sides of the argument, they are at odds with pretty much everyone else on the planet, demonstrating the total untenability of their position.
Only if you limit "everyone else on the planet" to a select group of people.
Old 01-12-2014, 16:52   #174

I've had the opportunity to spend some time on research ships, the last one I sailed on as Captain actually. When I sailed on R/V's. I have some insight into the nature of funding for scientific research vessels.
I don't have a problem with Sea Shepard, but I absolutely do not believe their supporters would contribute to their budget if they didn't get the results they wanted to hear.
I don't believe this vessel is in search of the truth. I believe she's in search of continued funding for the project.
Old 01-12-2014, 16:55   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I've had the opportunity to spend some time on research ships, the last one I sailed on as Captain actually. When I sailed on R/V's I did it on the pay roll of the Government of Canada. I have some insight into the nature of funding for scientific research vessels.
I don't have a problem with Sea Shepard, but I absolutely do not believe their supporters would contribute to their budget if they didn't get the results they wanted to hear.
I don't believe this vessel is in search of the truth. I believe she's in search of continued funding for the project.
Well that's a little contradictory. You 'don't have a problem with Sea Shephard', but then go on to claim they would be fraudlant with their research.. yeah, right.
Old 01-12-2014, 17:31   #176
cruiser

Quote:
Well that's a little contradictory. You 'don't have a problem with Sea Shephard', but then go on to claim they would be fraudlant with their research.. yeah, right.
Why would that be contradictory?

I don't have a problem if they're frauds, either.

They'd need to be far more significant frauds before they'd bother me. Right now, they're defrauding Sheen, and having no effect on me.
Old 01-12-2014, 17:39   #177
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Many of you seem to be a tough crowd to please.

Purpose of Sea Shepard is to highlight to the masses unpopular practices on the oceans that most of us have seen with our own eyes

Who cares if they exaggerate, over dramatize and provide ways for wealthy media savvy sponsors to get involved while providing their tax accountant with acceptable write offs

It serves a valid purpose of opening a dialogue...... even if you don't like the players (be it Hollywood or Ferguson)
Old 01-12-2014, 17:46   #178
cruiser

Dialog is cheap.

I can get all I want, right here, on everything from guns to anchors to Australian politics to software.

And all that dialog will be worth every penny.

Dialog, by itself, is useless. If that's all he does, then I'll add "comical" to his list of attributes, and that will be, perhaps, his worst offense.
Old 01-12-2014, 18:17   #179

Rustic Charm, I don't have a problem with Sea Sheppard. I think Paul Watson, could use some seamanship classes but his showmanship skills are top shelf.
I think he should stick to learning seamanship and practising showmanship, and leave research to scientists though.
Old 01-12-2014, 18:24   #180

I still remember the days before "Whale Wars" when that knucklehead rammed the Des Groselliers with the Farley Mowat. Sure, okay to run down sealers in open boats with a rusty old hulk, but when real mariners showed up on a real ship, all they could do was whine.
Remember, he only became a star in the south after he wore out his welcome in his own country.
Closed Thread