Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55   #16

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Newbie - Rules on navigation

Sounds like a couple basic boating courses would be a good idea.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:05   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You would think with the size of the ocean, great lakes, wide rivers, etc, that collisions would be more rare.

But there is something in human nature that draws two vessels together, even on the wide ocean, despite all our efforts. I've seen it first hand. The helmsman fixates on the other vessel, perhaps for lack of any other landmark, and even though intending to hold a course, or avoid the other vessel, the two come closer and closer. I cannot explain it. But there it is.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:06   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Search for a local USCG Auxiliary or US Power Squadron (USPS) group. They usually have inexpensive day-long classes in boating safety and rules will be covered in that. If you are in a state that REQUIRES a certificate of competency before you are allowed to drive a motor vessel, these course often qualify for that.

A very good way to get a start. And they make it clear, there's no such thing as as stupid question.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
You would think with the size of the ocean, great lakes, wide rivers, etc, that collisions would be more rare.

But there is something in human nature that draws two vessels together, even on the wide ocean, despite all our efforts. I've seen it first hand. The helmsman fixates on the other vessel, perhaps for lack of any other landmark, and even though intending to hold a course, or avoid the other vessel, the two come closer and closer. I cannot explain it. But there it is.

It is quite remarkable.

When I sailed on SF Bay for 35 years I'd go out most often on weekdays. Only two boats on the entire bay, and guess what?

Not so much up here, but still...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

As usual Steadman is spot on with a listing of the essential study materials for new mariners. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, just get hold of these items and study them. There are additional materials to study for sure. Engage in active on-water experience to put to work what you have learned from these publications.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 13:12   #21

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys i am brand new to boating, I was wondering what are some rules on navigating nearby to other boats and the shore? Do you normally pass on the right side? How far do you stay away from populated beaches and other boats?
That's a pretty broad topic.

If you haven't memorized this yet, it will help.

"Red the sailor left port."

The port side is the left side, lit with a red light.

Know one, the other one is the other one.

http://www.boatus.org/free/

There are a lot of very good resources on Youtube, I personally find videos an easier medium to learn boating related material than reading it.

If you're going to be sailing, I'd recommend watching and learning everything The Maryland Sailing School posts on Youtube.

http://mdschool.com/

Great quality stuff.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:33   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Lots of good answers but don't forget the rule of tonnage. You won't find it in the colregs but it is worth thinking about. It is a variation of what Skipmac was talking about; the need to avoid a collision.

Even if you are the stand on vessel (right of way) and the other is the give way vessel, think about how big the other boat or ship is and what the result will be if you hit. If you're "in the right" but the large ship coming at you isn't acknowledging your call, you may be run over and the large ship may not know that they squashed you. They may not even feel it.

The end result is that no matter how large or small the other vessel is, ultimately it is your responsibility to avoid a collision.

Here we go again

"Law of Tonnage", "Right of Way" and "in the right" are incorrect and dangerous ideas and should be avoided at all time.

If you are the Stand On vessel you are OBLIGED to maintain course and speed until it becomes apparent that the other vessel is not taking appropriate action. At which time, you are OBLIGED to take action yourself. But before it very gets to the point of "risk of collision" and Stand On/Give Way, you need to be familiar with all of the situations which use the expression "not impede".

What commercial vessels hate is small boats which behave erratically rather than following the rules.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
To follow on from Skipmac's excellent summary:

You can download a copy of the Collision Regulations here:
http://www.collisionregs.com/MSN1781.pdf

For a start, you should make yourself familiar with Part B Rules 4 to 18.

The Collision Regs must become second nature to you, just like the Road rules should be when you are driving your car in traffic, this implies study and work.
If you are serious about sailing, enroll yourself on one of the many excellent courses that are available, and get a good grounding in the basic knowledge of the rules of the Road, Buoyage systems, Boat handling, Navigation etc that goes with the wonderful sport and recreation of sailing.

Knowledge brings confidence, and confidence increases one's enjoyment of sailing.

When you are mixing it in a very busy waterway with both commercial vessels and other pleasure craft ignorance is far from bliss
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 15:58   #24

As another newbie, Chapman's Piloting is a good read, damn long I'll warn you.... In Canada it's obligatory to hold a PCOC, pleasure craft operators certificate. If you web search that there are lots of self-study resources available. If you want to use a marine band radio, most likely a hand-help VHF "walkie-talkie" style then you'll likely need to study up for that. Suspect most countries require similar certificates.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:11   #25

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Most important rule of navigation is "Avoid the hard bits"!!!!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 17:01   #26

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Hey guys i snapped a photo nearby to my home in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, two vessels of massive proportions:

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 17:12   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

In pilotage waters it is quite common for two ships to meet that close in a channel or fairway. Both ships have local pilots aboard and have made passing agreement. Both ships are certainly in hand steering and showing up on each other's ARPA and ECDIS along with their vectors and plot info. No biggie. I did this all the time when I sailed AB and still had to steer.
Old 02-07-2018, 17:15   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys i snapped a photo nearby to my home in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, two vessels of massive proportions:

Travelling in defined channels under a controlled "Vessel Traffic Services" system (VTS) where everyone knows exactly what to do and where they need to be.
Old 02-07-2018, 17:23   #29

"Lots of good answers but don't forget the rule of tonnage. You won't find it in the colregs but it is worth thinking about." (ArmyDaveNY)

Quite frequently there are Local Rules and Bylaws.

Auckland Harbour NZ

Vessels over 500 tons have right of way

Simple. It is a commercial port small craft must keep clear of large vessels within the confines of Auckland Harbour
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 17:38   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
"Lots of good answers but don't forget the rule of tonnage. You won't find it in the colregs but it is worth thinking about." (ArmyDaveNY)

Quite frequently there are Local Rules and Bylaws.

Auckland Harbour NZ

Vessels over 500 tons have right of way

Simple. It is a commercial port small craft must keep clear of large vessels within the confines of Auckland Harbour

I VERY strongly doubt that is what the Local Rules and Bylaws actually say.

Do you have a reference for that.

Tags
navigation, rule