Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:36   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Ocean Courses?

I've been sailing on a Catalina 30 on a large lake for over 20+ years and my wife and I are looking to get a newer bigger boat and move to the ocean. My question is what do you all recommend for courses to take in the New England area to help us make the jump. I know there is lots of differences regarding Navigation, markers/buoys, nav lights, currents, weather, handling rough seas, etc... The only thing I'm not super worried about is the actual sailing portion. Now I know boat handling on a lake and on a ocean are vastly different but at least I do know how to sail and have experienced knock downs before (yes you can get knocked down and a swamped cockpit on a 30' sail boat on a lake). Thanks for your help and direction
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:29   #2

Boat: Beneteau/343
It might be useful to take the asa navigation classes 105 and 107. Otherwise, unless you can talk someplace into letting you take 106 without the other prerequisites, the rest of the asa curriculum is not going tone helpful.

You might be able to work through a set of topics that are of interest to you and your wife outside of the asa classes.

I suspect you are as familiar with the best books on coastal and ocean cruising. They are listed on various sites for asa 106/108.

Hope this helps a little.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote