Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Pear-Shaped Spinnaker?

We are sailing a Beneteau 323 in our weekly beer can races. The boat has an older spinnaker (circa 2004) which is pear-shaped and I gather something originally designed for J/24s in its day.

We've been told it is a running, not reaching spinnaker, which is why we always lose ground on the downwind leg to the leeward mark compared to boats that can sail closer to a broad reach.

The skipper and the rest of the crew seem convinced it's just the way it is but I'm not so sure. Is it true that this type of spinnaker won't reach?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:50   #2

Re: Pear-shaped spinnaker?

Well... I'm not sure which one you are talking about, but it's a big full shouldered spinnaker. The probably is they arent flat enough to do well on a reach from the beam forward. It's usefulness declines as the wind moves from dead aft forward. Not sure how far you could carry it but probably just somewhere around a beam reach.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55   #3

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Pear-shaped spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well... I'm not sure which one you are talking about, but it's a big full shouldered spinnaker. The probably is they arent flat enough to do well on a reach from the beam forward. It's usefulness declines as the wind moves from dead aft forward. Not sure how far you could carry it but probably just somewhere around a beam reach.
Narrow, almost non-existent shoulders with a broad, deep lower half. Looks like a european pear (or the taco bell logo) when flying.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00   #4

Re: Pear-Shaped Spinnaker?

Ahhh... yes ... I know the type.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Pear-Shaped Spinnaker?

By being broad and deep, it is doomed to run. you can't heat up a sail that looks like an elephant butt it will collapse or be strapped.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker