Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 11:44   #46

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Performance Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
SNIP

Last bust certainly not least is the fact that the peoples knowledge and skill that are actully sailing the boat will do more per dollar to increase its passage making time than anything else and investment in their skills is the best by far.
When Bank Pop broke the Jules Vern Trophy record they praised the electronics that allowed them to know what the weather was, and was predicted, to be. But they also pointed out that it is fairly standard to get good weather reports. What Bank Pop had that most of us don't have was remote sensing images of where junk (flotsam and jetsam) was and they were able to avoid it.

All that being said I spent almost two months this summer in, and around, the Dry Tortugas; along with two other friends who also took their boats there. One had problems and had to call Sea Tow and the other had the AP go out and a damaged head sail. Both encountered these problems on the trip back to Key West in bad weather. On the other hand I planned my return trip based not just on the CH2 weather reports but face to face conversations with the captain of the fast boat that makes the trip from Key West to Fort Jefferson and back every day.

The conditions for my return were 8-10 knot following winds and 1 to 2 foot following seas. In those conditions the level of seamanship required are within the capabilities of most folks who post here, even mine.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post

I have a 40'+ boat with a tiller and can say it is alot less work to sail then a wheel - especially with a tiller extension and balanced sails. But there is the tradeoff when doing everything else besides sailing with the tiller....
I'd be interested in hearing you expand on this. I'm just designing the tiller setup for my next boat and I think I know what you mean, but it would be good to know if there are angles I haven't considered.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 13:42   #48

Interested also in what you think the trade off is when not sailing because I think one of the best things about having a tiller is when you are not sailing, up and out of the way, let the party begin!

I bought my boat specifically because of its cockpit, which is nearly perfect in my mind. It was obvious to me the original design intent was for a tiller, but somewhere along the way it got corrupted. I knew tossing the wheel and adding a tiller would make a great cockpit even greater.

The boat is the American production version of the Jeaneau Sun Fizz which was originally designed by Philippe Briand sometime around 1979 for the OSTAR race? (Or something like that)

After the purchase while researching the boat more I found some photos of the original boat with a tiller and no cabin top traveler. Go figure.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 14:19   #49

BTW, getting rid of the wheel meant I picked up an additional twenty degrees of range of motion in my rudder once freed of the quadrant. Big time performance enhancement when it comes to backing down.

Also discovered a bunch of play in my rudder post/rudder log I was completely clueless about. Would have never known it was there.....
Old 02-03-2014, 14:30   #50

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Delancey,
Please forgive me, but I always thought performance anxiety was a symptom of post adolescent males. From your avatar, you obviously have well passed that stage in life so I would suggest a private conversation with a close friend or perhaps, even, a professional consultation with a therapist. I have always believed in the old adage--"Practice Makes Perfect" so--good luck, good sailing and may this probelm be only a temporary detour in your life and by all means . . . practice, practice, practice! Captain Rognvald---well practiced post adolescent male . . . of course, I am speaking strictly about boats.
Old 02-03-2014, 14:34   #51

The first step in solving a problem is realizing one exists. My doctor has recommended I get a multihull but was very specific that I don't load it up with a bunch of crap.
Old 02-03-2014, 15:01   #52

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The first step in solving a problem is realizing one exists. My doctor has recommended I get a multihull but was very specific that I don't load it up with a bunch of crap.

I can tell you from personal experience, two is always better than one. May your life be blessed with multihulls. Captain Rognvald