Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 15:22   #1

Re-erecting a heavy section from a broken mast without shore assistance

I just watched the video "180º South - Conquerors of the Useless" which traces a trip to Patagonia, a sort of homage to the guys who did a seventies surfer/mountaineer road trip which culminated in their climing of Cerro Chaltén, or Mount Fitroy. I recommend it to anyone who loves the sea, the mountains, or Patagonia.

In the early stages the protagonist hitches a ride on a 52' cutter called "Seabear", from Mexico to Chile via the Galapagos.

Despite being clearly a very well built, well specced and well maintained vessel, a rigging failure means they break their mast en route. To the surprise of the protagonist, the skipper goes over the side and rigs lines to enable them hoist a section of the broken mast (500 lbs in weight) on board, rather than cutting it free as most people would do.

Having sailed to Rapanui/Easter Island (which was the only land within range) and had a bit of a look around, I can understand why they were not able to dock the boat there - the only dock, apart from not having enough depth alongside (meant only for lighters), is about the least sheltered dock I've personally come across.

So they begged a couple of bits of timber (in short supply on Easter Island at times) - not even enough to rig the usual sheerlegs, but they managed to hoist the mast from a single pole, fairly shorthanded, while anchored in an open roadstead. They used a method the skipper gleaned from a manual of sailing-ship practice from days long gone.

It's shown in sufficient detail on the DVD to be quite instructive, and certainly thought provoking.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 07:02   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Re-erecting a heavy section from a broken mast without shore assistance

Interesting, might have to look out for the DVD. My brother managed to get a boom rigged as a mast on Hugo boss (open 60) on the way to South america after a chainplate pulled out. They did well speed wise, getting up to 20 odd knots at one point. See his Youtube vids BooBooNZ is his tag.

I raised Snow Petrels heavy mast single handed but I was in a marina.

It all went up much easier than I had thought. I think it would work at sea, ideally using spectra rather than dacron as guys. I had a three part tackle off the forestay to a anderson 40 ST winch, and a spinny pole to improve the angle.

My new boat has twin poles on deck, ideal as shear poles... I have a few other cunning ideas as well
Old 25-03-2013, 14:16   #3

Re: Re-erecting a heavy section from a broken mast without shore assistance

Yay for deck stepped masts!

"Cunning ideas...."

... don't leave us hanging, Snowpetrel!
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast