Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2014, 06:08   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Rode to Anchor Chain Splice. Help Requested.

FWIW, I'm using 8mm chain and 14mm line on a vertical chain/line gypsy (Muir) and it works well so I'm thinking you will also be fine.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 07:13   #17

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Why not backsplice the rope to a bow shackle and connect the shackle to the chain? You'd have to nurse the shackle around the windlass, of course. But, you could slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over the shackle to protect the rope from the rough galvanizing under the splice. Also, you could then easily play mix and match with your other anchor rodes and chains.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 07:20   #18

Boat: Custom wooden trawler, 10.6
Send a message via Skype™ to Avayak

An alternative certainly. Not my preference due to how and where I use my boat.
Primary use is recreational fishing in oft sloppy conditions and due to my age and agility I've decided I want to cast and weigh my anchor from inside the wheelhouse as much as possible. So I really don't want to have to tickle the ride around the gypsy or through the chain pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Avayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 13:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avayak View Post
I bought my 1 mtr of cheap 14 mm rope and did a trial test. I'm more than happy with the result. See photo.
You do good work - nice looking splice.

My only slight caution about your 'from the wheelhouse' plan is when the 3 strand gets a bit old and stiff you may (or may not, if the windless and gypsy are really good) need to help the splice (any of them) bend around the gypsy and into the pipe. I think a pretty long (longer than normal) gentle taper to the end of the splice might help. Washing the rode (espically the spliced area) every once in a while in a bucket of hot water might also. It would be nice to hear in say 4 years time how it is running.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode