Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 19:13   #16

Boat: grampian 26
How do you douse the 110 after hoisting the 85?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 20:05   #17

Boat: Allures 44
Ww carry a 130 and a 90, for the same reason as Bash. I wish we had two job halyards, though, so we could utilize both slots in the foil. We have to drop one before we can hoist the other.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 22:49   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Ww carry a 130 and a 90, for the same reason as Bash. I wish we had two job halyards, though, so we could utilize both slots in the foil. We have to drop one before we can hoist the other.
Also one of the advantages of twin slots is one can put up both sails to do a wing & wing effect and you can still furl them together if you need to dowse quickly.
Old 19-11-2010, 23:55   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
How do you pull the 110 down after you raise the 85?
Put the new sail up on the inside (windward) slot. Tack. Now the old sail is inside. Drop it.

Helps to have two halyards and two set of jib sheets.
Old 20-11-2010, 07:19   #20

We do but it's easier then that. Set up an inner forestay so as you need to reduce sail you bring the sailplan down and in. (ie roll up the jib and raise the storm jib on the inner forestay). Down and in, that is the correct way to reduce sail. A 140 rolled to an 80 creates an awful jib that is all but worthless for weather work.

QUOTE=RTB;562171]Really? Who carries different size sails if they run a furler? You might as well go with hanks - easier to raise and lower.[/QUOTE]
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 07:53   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
for low budget sailors-- when you need it, furling the jib works just fine, thankyou. so what the sail isnt "correct shape" is it gonn ablow out?? NO
willyou sail to where you want to go ...YES.
is it good for racing??? NO
is it used in reality?? YES
when you sail out in nice weather and get slammed by a local storm that comes up between you and shore-- ye gonna change sails?? i doubt it. ye gonna furl your jib and run...YES>
the wind is blowing about 60 kts-- you are in steeply formed and boxy seas. you still have 20 miles to go to get into port. ye gonna stop an change sails and go? NO
ye gonna furl your jib and run?? YES.
make sure your furler is well lubed and functional. and that your furling line is not fouling and that you dont have to go forward...make SURE you dont have to go forward ......

we lost 5 ft of furling line an a bow light off ft myers in weather we saw but thought we could sail past-- it beat us and we returned for another day of rest----and the search for the new bow light and a new line for furler. you do NOT want to HAVE to go forward in weather.
make the furler NOT be the reason for having to do deck work in weather
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 08:02   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Webb Chiles went around the world with a main and a furling genoa, but that's Webb Chiles.
Old 20-11-2010, 08:03   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The beauty of a cutter rigged vessel for cruising. Roll one up, and roll out what's needed..........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Biscayne bay John.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	21319  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 09:31   #24

i2f--is my main goal on this formosa- first underway project is to rig a forestaysail on her. when finished i willhave twin forestays at the stem and a furler on the sprit and main and mizzen. my deck is now up for that--will have fun under jib n jigger in stormy weather when all are resting we plod on---
-your pic is the ideal!!!! i am hurrying as fast as i can----meet ye out there!!
ps--i reallly LOVE your profile/avatar pic...
Old 20-11-2010, 09:45   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Put the new sail up on the inside (windward) slot. Tack. Now the old sail is inside. Drop it.

Helps to have two halyards and two set of jib sheets.
Standard procedure for a windward hoist when we race.

Just make sure that you are tacked on to the correct side of a double sided tack hook.
Old 20-11-2010, 09:53   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Actually that pic gives me an idea to run by y'all.....
I lack the room to have 2 headstays, BUT I do have an extra pad eye on deck for the Spinnaker.... IF I took the Spinnaker halyard, made it fast to the pad eye and winched it tight, then use my topping lift for the main ( I have a boom vang) as a halyard for a hank-on storm jib..... on second thought, naaa, I'll just save up for a Gale-Sail and be done with it!
Old 20-11-2010, 10:01   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when you sail out in nice weather and get slammed by a local storm that comes up between you and shore-- ye gonna change sails?? i doubt it. ye gonna furl your jib and run...YES>
If this sort of thing tends to happen to you, it's time to take a weather course. A competent mariner will rarely be suprized by a storm, and will certainly have enough time for a sail change prior to being "slammed." While it's apparent that all too many boaters would roll up the jib, turn on the engine and power home in such situations, some of us would actually chose to sail the boat through adverse weather by having the right gear for the conditions. With my 85% jib and a couple good reefs in the main, I can sail through gale-force winds without ever becoming overpowered and without risking damage to my gear. All I need is a way to clip my hat to my jacket and I'm set.

The argument that a being on a budget forces a sailor to have a single 130 genoa and sail it partially furled in high winds represents false economy. That's how sails get blown out. By having separate gear for light and heavy air, the sails are going to last twice as long because they're not being asked to handle conditions for which they were not built.

Changing headsails is really not a big deal, but the increasing number of sailors who learn on boats with roller furling and then never change sails unless they are in their slips are really handicapping themselves in terms of what they can accomplish underway. I have no doubt that this is why we see so many people motoring in perfect trade-wind conditions. They've never learned the skills needed to match their sails to the conditions.
Old 20-11-2010, 10:42   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:

Changing headsails is really not a big deal, but the increasing number of sailors who learn on boats with roller furling and then never change sails unless they are in their slips are really handicapping themselves in terms of what they can accomplish underway. I have no doubt that this is why we see so many people motoring in perfect trade-wind conditions. They've never learned the skills needed to match their sails to the conditions.
Not everyone has the mindset that they have to SAIL everywhere, every time.. Can I sail off an anchor or sail into my slip? Sure I can.... and have, but the motor is a lot easier!

I roll my 150% Genny to reef it. I couldn't care less if it is not perfectly efficient, or if I could go an extra 0.1KT. If I am heading into an afternoon boomer, I drop sail, secure it and light the diesel.... when it passes, they go back up.

My buddy's incident was because he had the roller line in a cam cleat and it wasn't safetied to anything.... Definitely operator error, but accidents happen.
Old 20-11-2010, 10:45   #29

Quote:
If this sort of thing tends to happen to you, it's time to take a weather course. A competent mariner will rarely be suprized by a storm, and will certainly have enough time for a sail change prior to being "slammed." While it's apparent that all too many boaters would roll up the jib, turn on the engine and power home in such situations, some of us would actually chose to sail the boat through adverse weather by having the right gear for the conditions. With my 85% jib and a couple good reefs in the main, I can sail through gale-force winds without ever becoming overpowered and without risking damage to my gear. All I need is a way to clip my hat to my jacket and I'm set.

The argument that a being on a budget forces a sailor to have a single 130 genoa and sail it partially furled in high winds represents false economy. That's how sails get blown out. By having separate gear for light and heavy air, the sails are going to last twice as long because they're not being asked to handle conditions for which they were not built.

this can happen to anyone. i do weather better than many with whom i have spoken. i have studied weather since i was 8 years old. i started sailing when i was 7 yrs old. storms come up from a haze in the gulf--at night not seeing this haze is expected. happens many many times more often than you would expect,. are you going to cruise? if so--it WILL happen to you DESPITE your current well informed status. nooaa is never correct--is only a buoy reading -- not telling you what is in sky. i can read sky well. LOL....i donot leave during certain situations i see above--i am correct.
telling me to take a weather class is not intelligent come back for any sailor to make.
guaranteed.
calling reefing a furling sail a false economy is not a sailors' comment, either.
how many times have you sailed heavy weather. do you cruise or race. what size boat do you drive?
we are mostly full time cruisers sailing on our budgets. saying we NEED to BUY more sails is not reality. YOU may be able to afford it-- but the reality is, yer not gonna.
so, besides taking a weather class, i need also to spend more money on what???? LOL.

yes--accidents DO happen. storms DO occur from no where...the awesomeness of this lifestyle is we donot HAVE to do what others dictate...is awesome freedom.. i become unencumbered by land based concerns 99 percent by years' end. i sail a formosa 41 which will perform wonderfully thru anything i choose to give her. i donot HAVE to go forward in a storm to adjust sails, and i donot have to heave to in a heavy weather situation, either. we didnt in the 37 ft performance cruiser either--just kept on except the one time out of ft myers(when the image of the docks and showers and dryers were impressive in our minds...)..LOL....
Old 20-11-2010, 10:51   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I've had my furling line snap and the genny roll out in rough conditions. Exciting stuff! In the end because we were low on fuel I went up forward and rolled it in by hand, and then tied the line off to the bow.

But I don't think I would ever want a "safety" line that required me to go forward each time. If need be I would always like to be able to release the line etc.
+1

Exactly the same here.

And as I2F suggested, it was not the furler's fault. I'm not saying anything else.

Roller furling is a really elegant and really well-developed technology. Unless you have a worn-out or poorly attached furling line or you mishandle it it can't just slip. No need to mess with it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety