Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 08:23   #46
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
RTB,

You can clearly see the first reef here on the headsail marked, and the second one hiding behind the stysl........i2f
Thanks. Those are what I meant. Is the purpose of the foam in your luff to protect the sail where it wraps around the foil? Or is there another reason for it?

ps - if there is a different boat in my future, it will most likely have a cutter rig. I definitely see the advantages.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 08:25   #47

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
many of us... we just choose... for our own differing reasons...
Boatman, I agree with you 100%. The right sail configuration depends on the boat, the conditions, how far you're sailing, etc. There are many different solutions.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:30   #48

Boat: Allures 44
RTB,

The foam luff helps maintain the sail's shape as you furl it. If I remember correctly, without a foam luff the leech and foot become taught but the luff and center of the sail remain baggy.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 10:36   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
RTB,

The foam luff helps maintain the sail's shape as you furl it. If I remember correctly, without a foam luff the leech and foot become taught but the luff and center of the sail remain baggy.
But this can be minimised tweaking the jib sheet traveller.... it works ok on my hank-on Genny with slide replacements in the furler... just looks a little lumpy with some furled in...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 12:25   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Thanks. Those are what I meant. Is the purpose of the foam in your luff to protect the sail where it wraps around the foil? Or is there another reason for it?

ps - if there is a different boat in my future, it will most likely have a cutter rig. I definitely see the advantages.
G'Day Ralph,

You likely could convert Fugue to have a staysail. Wouldn't be a true cutter, but would have the advantage of being able to fly a smaller foresail in heavy stuff.

We did this in Insatiable One. Requires fabricating some sort of attachment hardware for attaching the stay to the mast and a reinforced chainplate at the bottom. OUrs came out not being quite parallel to the forestay, so it looked a bit odd, but it worked very well indeed. Oh yeah... we also added some light running backstays to help keep the mast straight... made from some discarded wire halyards we found in the dumpster!

IMO, having such a staysail not only will improve your upwind performance in heavier airs, but definitely will extend the life of your genoa by not overstressing its lighter cloth whilst partly rolled up.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly, Qld, Oz southbound
Old 21-11-2010, 12:35   #51
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Thank you Jim. I'll take a look at that possibility. I had never considered that.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 12:45   #52

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Then there is always the Solent stay like what was done on the S/V Sarah. Jack shows the install in his web site below. No need for running back stays.

Solent Stay
Old 21-11-2010, 12:52   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But this can be minimised tweaking the jib sheet traveller.... it works ok on my hank-on Genny with slide replacements in the furler... just looks a little lumpy with some furled in...
As cfarrar mentioned, the foam luff keeps the partially-furled sail from getting too baggy. The jibsheet block should be repositioned when the sail is roller-reefed in order to obtain the correct sheeting angle for the new sail dimensions. This will optimize the leech and foot tension. It *won't* do much for a baggy headsail though.

I will admit that when flying my foam-luffed roller-reefed genoa I will often not bother with jibsheet block re-positioning. It depends on the conditions, and how lazy I am feeling.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 13:54   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Then there is always the Solent stay like what was done on the S/V Sarah. Jack shows the install in his web site below. No need for running back stays.

Solent Stay
Yes, the Solent stay removes the need for a new mast fitting for the inner stay, and it is what we have on Insatiable II. The BIG drawback for this (at least for us) is that the slot between inner and outer stays is so narrow that one MUST roll up the gennie in order to tack or gybe it. A real PITA, and I hate it! Makes short tacking up a channel or such a real drag.

Otherwise, it works ok.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-11-2010, 15:03   #55

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, the Solent stay removes the need for a new mast fitting for the inner stay, and it is what we have on Insatiable II. The BIG drawback for this (at least for us) is that the slot between inner and outer stays is so narrow that one MUST roll up the gennie in order to tack or gybe it. A real PITA, and I hate it! Makes short tacking up a channel or such a real drag.

Otherwise, it works ok.

Cheers,

Jim
Understandable!
In my case the solent stay would be temporary, stored a few inches forward of the mast and then set midway to the furling only for a Beaufort scale of 7 or above (in a harness and jack line), or for a long hall in a light breeze using both foresails.
Old 21-11-2010, 18:01   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Understandable!
In my case the solent stay would be temporary, stored a few inches forward of the mast and then set midway to the furling only for a Beaufort scale of 7 or above (in a harness and jack line), or for a long hall in a light breeze using both foresails.
Well, Del, what you describe is similar to what I-2 had when we bought her. Worked ok, but did require some fiddling about on the foredeck with a Hyfield lever and so on. Being the lazy sod that I am, I put a furler on that stay and now have the stays'l available at the pull of a sheet. I like that, but even though I kept the Hyfield lever for easy removal (for those light air, short-tacking days) of the furler+sail, I almost never do it. It's not hard to remove, but a bit of a struggle to get it back on, especially if there's much sea running.

Laziness has it's costs!

In your case with the stay midway between the forestay and the mast, tacking the genny would likely be feasible... ours is much farther forward.

As we all know, yachts are large groups of compromises, held loosely together with fibreglass, timber, stainless wire and good intentions...

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
safety