Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 16:06   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: RYA or ASA ?

Quote:
I want to get my competent crew out of the way first, then progress quickly
Could I suggest , you do a few basic tickets, then go sailing, theres no advantages, and several disadvantages in chasing tickets quickly

dave
Old 21-06-2013, 06:19   #17

Difficult choice. But I agree that RYA is for professional sailers and ASA for recreational.

If I were to do it all again I'd probably go RYA - the courses are pretty comprehensive even at a basic level (competent crew?).

It's also worth remembering that there is no reciprocity between the organisations - well that wasn't that last time I checked.

The main difference between the two, as far as I can see, is that in addition to technical competence the RYA requires milles and hours before you'd be signed off. The ASA are happy if you can demostate you're technically capable.
CannyBallast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:48   #18

thank you guys, that help clarify things up
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:16   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
+1 on that. If you plan to do more than a week of training I suggest you consider the UK. Lots of good schools, demanding instructors and examiners, etc.. When I was living in the US I tried to find the same in the Fort Lauderdale schools there but was not satisfied hence ended up doing more courses/exams (up to Yachtmaster) in the UK.. I have sailed all over the place since then and found everything easy compared to the English Channel! C
+2

If you can sail (navigate, do pilotage, etc.) in the English Channel, then you can sail anywhere. Between big tides, strong currents, plenty of wind, weather, rocks, reefs, and the heaviest ship traffic in the world, you've got every possible challenge except maybe icebergs. And the RYA program is the gold standard. Highly recommended.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:36   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+2

If you can sail (navigate, do pilotage, etc.) in the English Channel, then you can sail anywhere. Between big tides, strong currents, plenty of wind, weather, rocks, reefs, and the heaviest ship traffic in the world, you've got every possible challenge except maybe icebergs. And the RYA program is the gold standard. Highly recommended.
All that plus being cold and wet (whilst still having to use yer noodle) makes lots of other places so much easier to cope with , especially if those places don't have any shoreline that appears at 3am, at least not for a few weeks of voyaging .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 04:11   #21

Either one will be fine for the basics of how to sail and will qualify you to charter just about everywhere.

If your goal is to work the merchant marines, there are commercial schools in the USA also. Not real familiar with them personally.

The one advantage for the cruiser doing the RYA is if you want to eventually cruise europe (in particular the french canals). They require you to be certifed by your home country. The catch 22 is the USA doesn't have a national certification (ASA doesn't have any official standing). The RYA is authorized to issue the british certification and they have an exemption to certify folks from the USA.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 04:14   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

In Gib a lot of schools offer courses to take you from zero to 'Yachtmaster Ocean' and beyond. I have no experience of the ASA courses but I can vouch that if you start on the RYA line you can keep adding the qualifications. I started with keel boat level 2 and now have Yachmaster Coastal with a commercial endorsement.

In Gib you will also expereince sailing to North Africa, into the Med and out to the Atlantic.

Like all things some schools are good, some are bad and the instructors they employ also fall into these categories.

The big thing to remember is you are supposed to enjoy the experience!

Good Luck
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:43   #23

yes, Alenka, thank you. That's the thing, some schools can make you, some others brake you.. The instructors have to be fun to be around too, the whole experience has to be upbuilding, professional and also fun. I'll the check the schools in Gibraltar out.
cheers
by the way, which particular school would you recommend, for their professionalism, personnal approach, and level of fun?
Old 13-07-2013, 07:37   #24

The school I did my Coastal skipper with has re-named itself Rock Sailing.

Peter was our instructor and although he had a lot to teach he was also a little distracted at times running the school. Never-the-less he was attentive and I learned much from him - I passed the really tough MCA practical exam so I cannot really complain.

Pete likes to stock up the boat with homemade frozen meals. When he wasn't looking much of it went over the side and is probably still there (thawing out) as a hazard to navigation! You won't pass any cooking exams under his teaching!!!

If you are just wanting to get a good start then consider booking a day skipper course, theory and practical, with Neilsons in either Turkey or Greece. Although they are better known for running flotila holidays their training really is first class and instructors don't last long if they don't deliver.

Check out their website and forum. Ski - Beach Club - Sailing - Lakes & Mountains | Neilson Activity Holidays and post a few questions, you will get lots of honest replies.

You will also get a 10% discount off everything if you quote your RYA membership number.

Some months the instruction is free when you just book one of their boats. They will even put like minded singles together.
There is talk that they are going to do all year round training and advanced courses through the winter months out of Turkey.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would do the day skipper with Neilson out of Turkey where conditions can be demanding at times and do the Coastal Skipper out of Gib or the Solent depending time of year.

I would not learn to sail in many places in the Caribbean such as the BVI's. Apart from learning how not to hit a reef I cannot say that the area does much for me. But that is a personal thing.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:42   #25

thank you Alenka, these are great tips, i will check Neilson'e website carefully......
thanks for taking the time to reply, it's all very valid points.... i want my learning to be challenging too, with changing tidal conditions, challenging winds, etc...
thanx again
Old 13-07-2013, 09:23   #26

I can see your point of view.

Just remember that the more you load yourself up the less capacity you have to absorbe what is being said.

You don't start learning to juggling with six balls!!
Old 15-07-2013, 11:10   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Remember that while sailing and learning in the Caribbean is nice, it really doesn't satisfy the "tidal" requirements for the RYA offshore certificates.

I have heard good things about the bluewater sailing school in Antigua and almost did both my RYA Yachmaster and my STCW95 with them but the timing didn't work out.

I have 4 or 5 of the ASA certifications and did some RYA as well as German sailing courses and certifications and I understand why in the international and commercial realm the Yachtmaster is the only truly recognized certification. If you have a choice then I'd go for the RYA training.
Old 15-07-2013, 12:39   #28

thanks Zanshin !

Tags
asa