Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 03:42   #1

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Angry Safe Dinghy Operation

Charlotte Amalia harbor, St. Thomas

I had a difficult time aloft yesterday. Mainly from roll and pitch from dinghies hauling ass through the anchorage and throwing off large wakes. Now I don't think some people do this on purpose. But they could pay attention a little more and slow down when they see someone aloft. Besides this, it is dangerous behavior. What if someone was snorkeling their anchor, or some other reason for being in the water. At a high rate of speed it is easy to be on top of someone in a heart beat as you come around an anchored boat. I had a captain friend of mine who was seriously injured from a runabout taking people water skiing....in the ANCHORAGE! Plus you are responsible for any damage that is done by your wake in an anchorage. So please slow down and pay attention when you are in amongst boats, whether it is an "approved" anchorage or not.
Old 23-12-2009, 03:54   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I'm fortunate to be on a drying berth for my aloft work.
I hate to think what aloft in swell is like when unavoidable.
On a pontoon recently in the Cowes entrance, the number of fat mono's, with skippers to match, that can't be bothered to be polite.
I was under the boat trying to sort a gearbox linkage on my Sillette drive. Jusy had to get out every time a boat approached. And that's not an option aloft.
Old 23-12-2009, 04:09   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
i dont think many dinks throw a wake big enough to cause harm, just a pain in the ass, and disrespectful-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 05:28   #4

Just when you think you've seen the worst...

Last summer an idiot in a 24-26' wake board boat decided to tow his kids around the anchorage weaving between the anchored boats. When asked to buggar off, he replied he had a right to the smooth water. Absolutely no clue how dangerous what he was doing was. And he has the Canadian Boat Operator's Card, so he must be right!

There seems to be a tremendous lack of common sense and even less courtesy between people nowadays, not just on the water, but everywhere. It is truly sad.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:03   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
See the potato gun thread...?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:37   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
Charlotte Amalia harbor, St. Thomas

I had a difficult time aloft yesterday. Mainly from roll and pitch from dinghies hauling ass through the anchorage and throwing off large wakes. Now I don't think some people do this on purpose. But they could pay attention a little more and slow down when they see someone aloft. Besides this, it is dangerous behavior. What if someone was snorkeling their anchor, or some other reason for being in the water. At a high rate of speed it is easy to be on top of someone in a heart beat as you come around an anchored boat. I had a captain friend of mine who was seriously injured from a runabout taking people water skiing....in the ANCHORAGE! Plus you are responsible for any damage that is done by your wake in an anchorage. So please slow down and pay attention when you are in amongst boats, whether it is an "approved" anchorage or not.
I think your final comment says a lot. If it is not an "approved" anchorage why can't you water ski and why would you expect to be able to anchor there without disturbance. I don't know where in the harbor you were but it is a recreational area. Planes take off in there, big cruise ships and ferries come and go. Yes it is a nice place to anchor and I have been there myself many times but you can't expect to have it to yourself just because others join you in anchoring there. I am not condoning bad dinghy behavior. It would have been nice for people to see you and slow down out of courtesy. But it would have been a courtesy. There is really no expectation that others can't use the harbor for their recreation just like you use it for yours.

It also gets real quiet later in the day after the cruise ships leave.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:46   #7

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
There is nothing to stop you having a floating 'messenger' line between you and the next boat in line in the anchorage that just happens to be deployed when said wake board towing boat passes by Perhaps you could have a couple of cans of beer in one of those string bags attached in the middle

The boat was moving too fast to get it out of the way your honour. I just never expected someone to drive their boat so dangerously

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:51   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Divers Flags...

My understanding is that divers flags should be flown when diving.

It may be possible to mark out an area of safe operation, maybe using multiple anchored flagged buoys and polypropylene rope and floats.

That's what they do in Thailand (sans flags) to keep the local boats out of the swimming areas.

The rope should, of course, be large enough not to readily wrap round a small propeller.

There are also flags (R & Y together) to indicate no wake as maintenance in progress. These could also be flown in the same way. Some locals fly them upside down but they should have the same meaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RY Flag (Small).JPG
Views:	251
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	12031  
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 06:10   #9

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
I think your final comment says a lot. If it is not an "approved" anchorage why can't you water ski and why would you expect to be able to anchor there without disturbance. I don't know where in the harbor you were but it is a recreational area. Planes take off in there, big cruise ships and ferries come and go. Yes it is a nice place to anchor and I have been there myself many times but you can't expect to have it to yourself just because others join you in anchoring there. I am not condoning bad dinghy behavior. It would have been nice for people to see you and slow down out of courtesy. But it would have been a courtesy. There is really no expectation that others can't use the harbor for their recreation just like you use it for yours.

It also gets real quiet later in the day after the cruise ships leave.

Jim
Jim,
I must respectfully disagree. I am anchored up close to Yacht Haven. It is an approved anchorage. And this applies:

"It is illegal to operate a vessel at greater than no wake speed within the restricted areas (such as mooring and anchoring areas) designated within the harbors and bays of the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Copied and pasted from VI boating regs.

Technically speaking, if there is not a law against something, you can do it. But does that make it the smart thing to do? And do we want more regulations than we have now. That's what we get when we as a community don't use some common sense and courtesy. I'm not required to give out courtesies, but I do it all the time.

If I was anchored out in an area commonly used for water skiing, or other recreational activites then I wouldn't expect other boaters to give up there recreation. I'm talking about well known and used anchorages. Not all are "approved", but they are there just the same.
Old 26-12-2009, 16:44   #10

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
Jim,
I must respectfully disagree. I am anchored up close to Yacht Haven. It is an approved anchorage. And this applies:

"It is illegal to operate a vessel at greater than no wake speed within the restricted areas (such as mooring and anchoring areas) designated within the harbors and bays of the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Copied and pasted from VI boating regs.

Technically speaking, if there is not a law against something, you can do it. But does that make it the smart thing to do? And do we want more regulations than we have now. That's what we get when we as a community don't use some common sense and courtesy. I'm not required to give out courtesies, but I do it all the time.

If I was anchored out in an area commonly used for water skiing, or other recreational activites then I wouldn't expect other boaters to give up there recreation. I'm talking about well known and used anchorages. Not all are "approved", but they are there just the same.
Sorry, being in a designated anchorage is different. I have never been close enough to be in the "anchorage" and since your post mentioned it not being an "approved" anchorage I assumed you were far out like I usually ended up staying. I haven't been there on a boat since the new marina has finished though so maybe it is a lot better now. There used to be a bunch of "permanent" boats up close and most of the transients were out by all the boats coming and going and expecting calm out there was wishful thinking.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 16:57   #11
Eternal Member

Still working out the design for my remote-control submersible log :-)

Seriously, though, I hear you but think you're fighting a losing battle. Been sailing into, out of, and around Charlotte Amalie and the Virgins for over 40 years. The harbor has always been a mess....wakes from ferries, seaplanes, cruise ships, dingies, a variety of commercial watercraft and, of course, the wind-driven waves. Can't be any fun atop the mast on a 28-footer.

Maybe next time you could find a quieter place to climb the mast? Christmas Cove? Francis Bay or Maho? Leinster Bay? Sopers Hole? The Bight? Nanny Cay? VG Yacht Harbour? Savannah Bay? North Sound? There's lots of 'em....just gotta get there :-)

Happy New Year,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote