Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 12:05   #31

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor
Re: Sailboat beached near Jacksonville, FL

As the last poster noted there is a line wrapped around the prop. I can testify that this results in a sudden engine stop.
As easy as it is to be an armchair critic I see some other interesting things.
1. A roller headsail that should have immediately been unfurled so as to provide some semblance of power.
2. Is it just me or does that single anchor look very very small for a 50+ boat?

I love the overkill of my 75-80 pound anchors.... and I’m 46’ 33K displacement.

Sad to see this boat on shore and to hear it was looted while there.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41   #32

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

In the video news cast it briefly shows a yellow line still wrapped around the propeller and shaft. Probably the cause of the engine shut down. Hope they remove it before towing her off the beach.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 13:05   #33

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Looking at this situation - I think I've learned a practical lesson about dropping anchor if boat control is lost near the beach.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 13:18   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Im with you Tetepare.

I have had many inexperienced friends and co-workers ask me for advice or express interest in buying a boat. I always tell them to take the coast guard sailing courses and join the sailing club for a year. If you cant sail an Ideal 18- you cant sail anything. And if you dont use the Ideal 18 at least once a month, it makes no sense to get a boat of your own.

The part that I find frustrating is that this situation which made it all over the news means there are people thinking, they need to have some sort of license or governmental oversight for this exact reason. The last thing we need is more oversight. Stupid is as stupid does.
Like the senator who was trying to suggest the Coast guard should "bill" people to help their budget.
Maybe they should. I believe they will offer assistance to a vessel in peril. Just not act as a tow boat company for the ass that ran out of fuel.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 14:09   #35

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Maybe they should. I believe they will offer assistance to a vessel in peril. Just not act as a tow boat company for the ass that ran out of fuel.
I completely agree with you, the coast guard exists to save lives in peril and to provide a safety net for for people who make life threatening mistakes. Not tow your boat because it costs you money- but perhaps tow it to prevent negative environmental impact.. SeaTow and Towboat US are for non life threatening mistakes.
I read recently that the coast guard rescues 114 people a day on average. It has a fiscal bidget of 660 million. But since they are a part of the US war machine, that not really a lot.

If interested in the cost situation:

https://gcaptain.com/cost-rescue/
BenBowSirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 14:23   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Apparently a tug boat has tried and snapped the tow line.
There appears to be a strap around the boat, so it appears the recovery crew knows what they are doing by not pulling on the bow etc.
Every day it seems I get a flood warning on my phone, and the tides have been very high lately, so here is hoping that they can get it off at high tide. I’m up river in Jax. High tide is right now and it doesn’t seem very high?
I assume it’s a very shoal draft boat, about like maybe an OI 41 type of bottom hopefully as I assume a shallow full keel is more survivable being drug off of a beach.
I saw that “strap” around the boat and I thought it was an attempt at an oil boom. If we are looking at the same thing. Yellow? Was put on day one 1.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 14:26   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
As the last poster noted there is a line wrapped around the prop. I can testify that this results in a sudden engine stop.
As easy as it is to be an armchair critic I see some other interesting things.
1. A roller headsail that should have immediately been unfurled so as to provide some semblance of power.
2. Is it just me or does that single anchor look very very small for a 50+ boat?

I love the overkill of my 75-80 pound anchors.... and I’m 46’ 33K displacement.

Sad to see this boat on shore and to hear it was looted while there.

I thought I saw a CQR AND a Danforth.
Old 08-10-2019, 14:27   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here’s hoping someone close by and with better knowledge chimes in here.
Old 08-10-2019, 14:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
I completely agree with you, the coast guard exists to save lives in peril and to provide a safety net for for people who make life threatening mistakes. Not tow your boat because it costs you money- but perhaps tow it to prevent negative environmental impact.. SeaTow and Towboat US are for non life threatening mistakes.
I read recently that the coast guard rescues 114 people a day on average. It has a fiscal bidget of 660 million. But since they are a part of the US war machine, that not really a lot.

If interested in the cost situation:

https://gcaptain.com/cost-rescue/
Actually the Coast Guard is prohibited from competing with private towing companies and you better believe they'll let you know if they think you're breaking that particular rule! That said, in this case it probably wasn't practical to hook up a tow in those conditions, Coast Guard crews aren't tug boat crews and don't have a ton of expertise in towing and won't put themselves at risk to hook up to a boat if the weather's sketchy. Ditto with setting an anchor. After the Sea King mishap off Cape Disappointment when PO Sexton was killed when the boat his crew was rescuing rolled over with him onboard Coast Guard crews aren't encouraged to attempt to board vessels in distress to save the boat. It's purely get the survivors off and then get off yourself as quickly afterward as you can safely do so. Job's dangerous enough without putting your life at risk to save an insurance company some money!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:01   #40

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
The one woman said it was just heading offshore from Jacksonville - the jetties - they only owned the boat for a couple of weeks and taking it somewhere for repair - the seas have been rough and high the past few days - I assume they got to bouncing around while motoring and sediment in the fuel killed the engine - if they were new to the boat - they may not even know how to rig/sail it - bad decision to head off shore given the weather and the newness - to them - of the boat.
It does not take knowledge of seamanship, or even common sense, to buy a boat or take it to sea in dubious conditions.

Not being prepared to sail (sails tightly stowed, and where is the mainsail?) and anchor not deployed...signs of not knowing much about boating or sailing.

AND...a big knot of yellow line around the propellor
Old 08-10-2019, 19:57   #41

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Did anyone else notice the rope tangled around the prop? Was visible on the TV news video.

Yes, "This is why I’m no advocate of telling dreamers to just go and learn along the way." from a previous post. I remember the first time I anchored no serious mistake but still learned a lot.
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 20:03   #42

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

On further thought, I would like to thank all those who post ideas, in this case about emergency action. This thread was a good reminder about why I do certain things, such as always have sails either up or ready to be set when around the 'hard stuff' and entering harbours/marinas. Ditto, two anchors on rollers fully ready to be used, one very quickly. It also pays to know the depth when close to shore as there are certainly places where 20m close to shore would render an anchor less likely to work.
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 20:16   #43

Boat: Cal 2-46

Looking at the video I notice a line pretty well wrapped in the prop. Maybe that is what stalled the engine.
Char99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:10   #44

I'm with Tetepare.

They don't know what they don't know.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I saw that “strap” around the boat and I thought it was an attempt at an oil boom. If we are looking at the same thing. Yellow? Was put on day one 1.

What a I saw goes around the vessel tight against the hull and is tied to the hull to keep it up off of the ground and tight against the hull.
I’m not sure what yellowish towing straps are made from, but being the color is the material itself, Spectra or something.

Booms I’ve seen are of course laid on the ground or water and not held up off of the surface.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, jacksonville, sail, sailboat