Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 18:31   #31

Boat: Radford R415
Re: Sailing from Vancouver, BC to Seward Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Why are you heading to Seward? Just out of curiosity. I’ve met a few folks from the interior that keep boats in SE. doesn’t seem ideal and would think PWS would be a closer option with larger cruising grounds.
I bought a boat in Vancouver and I am leaving it there 'till spring.
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 19:00   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi John and welcome to CF

I didn't see what type of sailboat you have or more importantly if it has a working RADAR

In my early career I towed barges and unmaned container ships from Van. to Skagway for the Whitepass Yukon company

You should expect fog on the inside passage so to keep going youll need radar and AIS would be helpful.

Stay on the inside, work the tides, take extra fuel containers and make sure your engine is reliable.

Some of my fondest memories was towing bundled boom sticks up into the "jungles", shooting deer from the little tug and butchering it on the tow.

Visiting with hand loggers and homesteaders along the way....

Loved those days where you could just disappear and no one was looking for you.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 19:49   #33
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
I bought a boat in Vancouver and I am leaving it there 'till spring.
Yes but why is Seward your destination? I assume you live there? You shouldn’t encounter too much if any fog in the spring but radar is handy.

Pelagic: Thats cool you used to haul for the WPYR. They just sold most if it to the Carnival cruise company. I really hope they do it justice and keep it more or less the way it is. There is talk of them wanting to reestablish the inland route all the way to Whitehorse; I would love to be able to hop a train down to the boat
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 19:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi John and welcome to CF

I didn't see what type of sailboat you have or more importantly if it has a working RADAR

In my early career I towed barges and unmaned container ships from Van. to Skagway for the Whitepass Yukon company

You should expect fog on the inside passage so to keep going youll need radar and AIS would be helpful.

Stay on the inside, work the tides, take extra fuel containers and make sure your engine is reliable.

Some of my fondest memories was towing bundled boom sticks up into the "jungles", shooting deer from the little tug and butchering it on the tow.

Visiting with hand loggers and homesteaders along the way....

Loved those days where you could just disappear and no one was looking for you.
Thanks for the great advice. I have radar and pretty good electronics, but regardless I'm not going to take too many chances.
Old 25-11-2019, 07:18   #35

Boat: Uniflite sedan

Whether going up or going down when crossing Queen Charlotte, do it during a flood tide and tuck behind Calvert Island before it goes Ebb. So your window is only about 6 1/2 hours.

ninethlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 08:21   #36

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

Bought a boat (40' ketch) in Seattle, took it north in Apr, 2 wk death march but weather was good. OTOH, southbound in June was all late spring SE storms.

Previous posts about guides, with extra fuel and filters a must. Bella Bella is only long stretch, must stop for fuel. Folding crab/shrimp pots nice to have.

Anchoring: account for tides increasing to 18-24' by the time you reach Stephens Passage. Many anchorages are narrow shelves close to shore.

Must have a current guide to run the various narrows, went from 5.5 to 10.5 kts and "lumpy" at Seymour Narrows going 30 minutes early; don't know about Yaculta option.

Radar/AIS is good if you have it; in Juneau we often hugged the shore when fog set in, to avoid the barges and cruise ships. Check out only non-sulfurous hot springs near 53°21'07.7"N 128°53'46.2"W.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruz99801 View Post
Bought a boat (40' ketch) in Seattle, took it north in Apr, 2 wk death march but weather was good. OTOH, southbound in June was all late spring SE storms.

Previous posts about guides, with extra fuel and filters a must. Bella Bella is only long stretch, must stop for fuel. Folding crab/shrimp pots nice to have.

Anchoring: account for tides increasing to 18-24' by the time you reach Stephens Passage. Many anchorages are narrow shelves close to shore.

Must have a current guide to run the various narrows, went from 5.5 to 10.5 kts and "lumpy" at Seymour Narrows going 30 minutes early; don't know about Yaculta option.

Radar/AIS is good if you have it; in Juneau we often hugged the shore when fog set in, to avoid the barges and cruise ships. Check out only non-sulfurous hot springs near 53°21'07.7"N 128°53'46.2"W.
Sounds like you pushed hard going north. How far North did you go? Thanks for commenting. I have radar but no AIS, with thinking about installing before the trip.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:29   #38

Boat: 1988 Saturna Pilothouse

We did the trip several years ago, kept a little blog here; http://www.sailblogs.com/member/kobuk/
Guides are not much help once you get past Auke Bay/Juneau. We did the inside passage to Elfin Cove, then jumped out into the blue water. On the inside, Tides and logs are the main caution. We met a few boats that had hit low floaters or dead heads, one had two encounters, resulting in ruined prop and bent shaft. Between Shearwater and Prince Rupert you will spend a lot of time along the channel edges if you are fighting the tides. Best to wait and go with the flow. Of course you'll have to time Seymour narrows for slack, then move with the tide as it changes. For the Gulf of Alaska crossing I would recommend going up the coast to Yakutak and then north through Montague entrance into Prince William sound. Then west to Seward, not only is PWS more protected, but beautiful country, you don't want to miss. It was our first real sailing trip other than overnighters in our little Mac 25 on Prince William Sound. So being relatively inexperienced, we did the trip from port-to-port for the most part with only a few nights anchored out. It was a fantastic experience, a great adventure. Here is a guide of sorts for doing the Gulf of Alaska to Seward; Gulf of Alaska Coastal Travel Routes – from the Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program
Old 25-11-2019, 09:29   #39

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

We were on personal leave going to Juneau, pushed hard and got lucky with weather. We pretty much motored, only one day was wind good to sail and keep schedule.

In 2010 we were leaving Alaska and had time, still got hung up here and there by weather and problems with buddy boat. Tried to sneak across Dixon Entrance between storms, got hammered (gale force, 15' seas) and had to hole up at Brundidge (?) Island for 3 days.

Boats crossing to Seward -- from sailboats to cruise ships -- have to cross the Gulf of Alaska beam on to all the weather and swells. Depending on weather, your speed and fuel, you might dash across without trouble, but many get thrashed. Good adventure stories!

With time, one can also do the milk run: Yakutat to Cordova to Seward (don't know about the little burgs between). Research thoroughly.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:44   #40

Boat: 1988 Saturna Pilothouse

Correction to the name of the eastern entrance to Prince William sound; it is Hinchinbrook entrance.
Old 25-11-2019, 09:58   #41

You and your crew are going to have a trip of a lifetime. There are several considerations I have to pass on.
1. Plan your departure to take advantage of the tidal currents. A few days one way or the other can make a huge difference. Look at Cambell River, Dodd Narrows and the Greenville Channel tidal current first. Those can have several knots of tide and in my case, it was faster than my boat could motor. Also there are several stretches where there will be no anchorages or docks where the tide is strong.

2. Plot all the hot springs you can and stop at most of them. This was so welcome to stop at after a hard Gulf of Alaska crossing at Warm Springs Bay. There are plenty of them and enjoy them.

3. There are bears and plenty of them. Plan for that. The best defense is numbers when going ashore but a 12 gage shotgun with slugs is a must. If you just don't like the idea of a gun on board, get over it and take that 12 gage. It might mean the difference between a tragedy and a close call.

3. Pelican is your last stop before leaving Cross Sound and the three or four day passage (hopefully) across the gulf. Wait for the weather you need. You can make the run to Yakutat and break up the crossing. You will have to go south of Kayak Island and far out into the Gulf at one point. Plan for good weather on that leg more than any other. You could go into Prince William Sound north of Montague Island if you need to hide from a storm. Otherwise look out for the shallows near Middleton Island and go for it.

I wish I was going with you.

Kevin Colson
Captain Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:10   #42

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
The waggoner guide is a bit of tourist rag - about 90% of the information is about businesses, not actual cruising.
Yes it is a commercial publication but does have all the up to date phone numbers etc for marinas. I found it to be very useful going to Alaska.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:11   #43
rbk

Not sure why anyone would make Pelican and Lisianski their last stop before crossing. Nothing against Pelican but it’s a pain in the ass getting in and out of there with weather/currents etc.
Old 25-11-2019, 11:29   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Hello all, looking for human intelligence or useful sailing publications that outline sailing from Vancouver, BC to Seward, AK. I'm an experienced boater, but relatively new to sailing. Thanks!
Canadian registered/licensed boat? Although I've never been asked to produce them we are supposed to have on board Sailing Directions; B.C. Vol. 1, Pac 201, Pac 205 and Pac 206 plus paper charts for the area you are in. Sailing Directions are handy, we use them all the time while exploring the B.C. coast.
Sun Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:42   #45
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Gypsy View Post
Canadian registered/licensed boat? Although I've never been asked to produce them we are supposed to have on board Sailing Directions; B.C. Vol. 1, Pac 201, Pac 205 and Pac 206 plus paper charts for the area you are in. Sailing Directions are handy, we use them all the time while exploring the B.C. coast.
There are exceptions to the the paper chart requirements including being in familiar waters and the use of electronic charts for vessels under 100 tons. Most recreational boaters are not required to carry paper charts in Canadian waters to the level required by large commercial operators.

Tags
alaska, sail, sailing, vancouver