Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 13:51   #1

Question Sailing south from the PNW

I am recently retired and the new owner of a 2021 Hanse 388. It came into port today! I am not too experienced, a lot of Caribbean charter and Monterrey Bay experience, not boat ownership. My goal is to spend the winter in Mexico. My dilemma is, given the season, the soonest that I Can get a dodger fabricated is November. I have contacted 10 canvas people. They are all swamped. Has anyone sailed south from the PNW to Mexico without a dodger? A downwind sail. Is this crazy to attempt. Maybe a dive mask and foulies are all I need. I plan on going in September, would love to do the HaHa. Input here is desired. My other option is to keep my NEW boat in the PNW and wait until next year which would be tough to do. I didn’t count on this delay.
Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 19:17   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Sailing south from the PNW

Hi..

Congratulations. I have sailed for 30 years in So Cal and have looked at the NW and have plans in the future for the HaHa. My advice as new boat owner is to use the boat in the safe NW area and learn as much as you can on that boat and get her ready for the trip down the coast next year . You just don't buy a boat a few months later take it on such a long trip without getting yourself and the boat ready. The NW, West Coast, and Mexico are all very different and you really need to have some experience and comfort in that boat before jumping in, in hopes all goes well.

IMHO

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:20   #3

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Hi! Congratulations on retirement and the new boat! The Hanse 388 is a very nice model! As to your question regarding a spray dodger, it would be preferable to have one on any long or even short trip at sea, perhaps even critically important. It’s far too optimistic to think you’ll not have to face head seas. One can’t really see well through a face mask. Gonna wear it an entire day?

You don’t say from where in the PNW you’ll start your trip, but it could be a long up-wind (wet) slog in the Strait just to get around Cape Flattery, depending of course on the conditions. You’re talking nigh on a couple of thousand nautical miles to Cabo San Lucas. You don’t mention your intended route, and whether you intend to put in any place other than the inferred stop in San Diego to join the HaHa! I wouldn’t count on making up much deficiency there with the many other boats and crews also looking to make the HaHa.

Just consider your unexpected (…didn’t count on) delay as likely the first of potentially many to come. Yes. Many boats and crews have arrived from BC/PNW to do that trip over the years, but that does not mean you should also attempt it right away in a new boat. I personally wouldn’t advise it until the boat & crew are fully prepared. New boats have cruising little equipment. There’s much to acquire, install, and use. Have you thought much about the power requirements you’ll need; how they will be met? Does the new boat have a generator, watermaker, etc.? How will you carry a dink? Will there be a life raft aboard? Do you have the necessary ground tackle? Do you have the necessary seamanship skills? A few Caribbean charters if only to the BVIs probably are not enough.

In any event, most folks do not know what they need for cruising a priori. Your first boat, and brand spanking new? Use this summer to overnight around the PNW to learn your needs. There are many fantastic places, especially in Canada. Maybe you’ll be lucky and the border will open later this year. Taking the new boat to Mexico right away w/o exploring the PNW first if you haven’t would be a shame IMO. You might be able to arrange storage on-the-hard in Anacortes for the winter if you do not wish to keep it in the water. Do you have a slip there?
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:51   #4

Do you need a Dodger offshore....no. Does it add comfort, yes.
Here's my advice putting aside sailing skills. This route starting at Cape Flattery can be day sailed if your disciplined....stay closer to shore where the winds are light, avoid the bars and be prepared to hang out in little fishing villages if the weather is not just right. It's going to take a lot longer than the offshore route but times on your side as you need to hang out in southern California anyways waiting out the hurricane season. Its handy to have a radar as there is traffic, often fish boats and you may be doing an over nighter from time to time. The prevailing winds and current are from the northwest so you have that in your favor. Many inexperienced sailors have taken that route over the years. Just be very careful entering any harbor with a bar as it can be dangerous in the right weather conditions. Weather information is available along the route so as long as you have lots of common sense you should be fine. Carry lots of fuel as you will probably be motoring as much or more than sailing. There are capes enroute and often rounding them are best at night depending on weather. There is a tendency to herd up with other boats you meet enroute. Buddy boating can be fun but often it's the blind leading the blind so never involve yourself in group decisions...do your own thinking and make your own decisions. It's a grand experience all in all and you'll gain lots of new knowledge that will benefit you long term. Make sure you have excellent foul weather gear and why not call ahead to the canvas shops in California and see if you can't get booked for a dodger. PS September is the perfect month, choose a date early in the month to leave, your normally out of the foggy season and still lighter winds and reasonable temperatures.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:50   #5

If I were planning a “day-sail” strategy from Cape Flattery to San Diego as described above with no prior experience out there, I’d drive the coast at least as far as Bodega/Tomales bays and inspect the harbors along the way where I’d potentially put in. It’s one thing to use care or caution crossing the bars that you’ve not experienced, yet another to actually evaluate doing so beforehand.

Down coast of Monterey Bay there are essentially no harbors until reaching Morro Bay, so that stretch might require an “overnight” run. Once past Morro Bay and Port San Luis you can potentially “harbor-hop” easily in the daylight of summer all of way to San Diego, if you wish to. Port San Luis to Santa Barbara would be the longest stretch at about 100 n.mi. or so. Add 20-21 n.mi. if you depart Morro Bay for Santa Barbara. However, once under the lee of Point Conception conditions become comparatively milder and there would be opportunity to “try out” the ground tackle at some Santa Cruz Island anchorages for a few days. You would cut some travel distance that way. Say, Port San Luis to Pelican Bay @ Santa Cruz Island. It’d be shame to bypass that beautiful area of the northern California Channel Islands in a haste get to Mexico. There are no services at the islands, however. The best place for services near there would be in Ventura or Channel Islands harbors.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Sailing south from the PNW

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.

Daysailing the west coast really isn’t possible, there are to many long stretches with no safe harbors.

I’m not going to recommend waiting a year but the upside to doing so is that you can sail thru the winter in the PNW. I spent 26y there and spent many winters cruising small boats with no heat. With an extra year’s experience on your specific boat you will be more confident about making the long passages down the coast.

I would suggest circumnavigating Vancouver Island this summer if you can get across the border.

Hang out in port Angeles for several weeks and day sail into heavy weather and seas so you get some practice.

If you want I can give you a list of great places to go that will push your abilities to navigate visually. This is what I did when I taught sailing up there.

Good luck. If you make it to San Diego let me know and we can have dinner or something.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Daysailing the west coast really isn’t possible, there are to many long stretches with no safe harbors.
It is possible with careful planning and the time to await the proper conditions, although it might not be such a good idea for a relative newbie. I know of one well-documented case going up that way from SFB; why not down? As I said above, there is one overnight stretch after Monterey Bay. But certainly once past Morro Bay/Port San Luis one can make the distances during summer daylight in a modern yacht of 38 ft with a good diesel, if not under sail as well.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:35   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

As you are now retired, are you planning on living on the boat for a while? Single handed? Do you have any other reasons for staying in the PNW?

I deliver race boats up and down the west coast, and don't consider a dodger essential to going south. If I had to choose, I would prefer a boat with a good (below decks, hydraulic drive) autopilot to one with a dodger.

At some point in late September or October, the weather window from the PNW to San Francisco will close with winter storm fronts. Once you are in or south of SFO, its relatively easy to move down the coast to San Diego as long as you watch the weather.

As you are new to the boat and overnight sailing, I would recommend bringing an experienced skipper along at least as far as SFO to teach you the systems and techniques on your boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:44   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

There a bunch of 80nm stretches and it looks like a 145nm stretch unless you want to cross the Columbia bar.

That means leaving in the dark unless you want to enter the next stop at sunset or after dark.

The Hanse had a hull speed of 7.8kt. Let’s say they go flat out and hit 8kt. Then most of the days will be 10-12hr long. It’s going to take a lot of fuel to do this and the engine will take a lot of wear. And it will be very loud which wears you down hour after hour.

Ok so they throttle back to 80%. Noise and fuel economy improves some but speed is now 6.5-.7.0kt and the days are 12-16hr long. Leaving around June when when days are longest this might work OK but by Sep they are going to need to be leaving 0200-0400 to make next stop during daylight.

The most comfortable speed which also has much better fuel economy is 5.5-6.0kt which means leaving about midday motoring overnight and pulling into the next stop during daylight.

There are a number of shorter hops that could be made but the entrances and protection can leave a bit to be desired.

Yes it’s possible to harbor hop down but that’s more of a powerboat thing with higher boat speeds.

In a sailboat right now would be the time to go.

https://www.passagemaker.com/channel...c-coast-part-1

https://www.passagemaker.com/channel...c-coast-part-2
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:58   #10

One has to figure SOG rather than STW, which should average higher by a knot or more going “down hill.” Yes, in September you’re getting into shorter daylight periods, so that would become a factor, of course. Better IMHO to depart before daylight, say at nautical twilight, than to arrive after sunset. One should be able to make 80 n.mi. in about 11 hr in a yacht like the 388, with all well.

Also, the Columbia Bar has a big reputation as does Point Conception and Point Arguello. I’ve transited the Bar and both Points in good conditions, which are then like other waters. However, one must plan and/or face what is there, which in the case of the Bar, might mean to keep moving on.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:20   #11

Beancounter, There are many good suggestions in the replies you received. A dodger is not critical to your plans. I crewed for a skipper on a dodgerless vessel heading north from San Diego to Blaine WA, going against current and wind. With just the skipper and myself, it was an exciting 11 days of mostly motor sailing. Heed those suggestions regarding accumulating experience sailing your vessel and ensuring that you have proper instrumentation.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:31   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
I am recently retired and the new owner of a 2021 Hanse 388. It came into port today! I am not too experienced, a lot of Caribbean charter and Monterrey Bay experience, not boat ownership. My goal is to spend the winter in Mexico. My dilemma is, given the season, the soonest that I Can get a dodger fabricated is November. I have contacted 10 canvas people. They are all swamped. Has anyone sailed south from the PNW to Mexico without a dodger? A downwind sail. Is this crazy to attempt. Maybe a dive mask and foulies are all I need. I plan on going in September, would love to do the HaHa. Input here is desired. My other option is to keep my NEW boat in the PNW and wait until next year which would be tough to do. I didn’t count on this delay.
I said solo from Victoria BC to Mexico a couple of years ago without a dodger, leaving in September.

It sucked. Extremely cold and wet. Wouldn't do it without a dodger again.

On the other hand I survived so it's definitely doable. Just miserable.

If it's a new boat to you, definitely sail it around a bunch first before heading down the coast, it can be super nasty and there are very very few spots to bail out if something goes wrong.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Hi..

Congratulations. I have sailed for 30 years in So Cal and have looked at the NW and have plans in the future for the HaHa. My advice as new boat owner is to use the boat in the safe NW area and learn as much as you can on that boat and get her ready for the trip down the coast next year . You just don't buy a boat a few months later take it on such a long trip without getting yourself and the boat ready. The NW, West Coast, and Mexico are all very different and you really need to have some experience and comfort in that boat before jumping in, in hopes all goes well.

IMHO
Abe
I agree, dont rush. The West Coast can be a tedious difficult trip for new cruisers any time. Worse until you are fully familiar with your boat, charging systems, electronics etc.
Right now is superb for cruising the PNW! Round Vancouver Isle when you are ready... an amazing trip on it's own. We did it in 6 weeks but 8 would have been nicer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 22:14   #14

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Dodger is nice but not necessary,experience with your new boat and local sailing a huge asset. I remember 10 years ago when we set sail south from Port Townsend to Mexico there was another boat that was very well found but had new owners with some chartering experience but their first ownership. The owners of the local rig shop and sail maker had an intervention with the couple to cruise local for a year first. It isn’t that you couldn’t do it but that it is likely it will be more rewarding and less traumatic to slow down a bit. Consider joining Blue water cruising association they are the best at preparing folks for cruising in my experience.
Fair Winds
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 22:27   #15

It ain't the dodger, it's you and your new boat.

Quote:

....stay closer to shore where the winds are light, avoid the bars and be prepared to hang out in little fishing villages if the weather is not just right.

Hang out in port Angeles for several weeks and day sail into heavy weather and seas so you get some practice.

If it's a new boat to you, definitely sail it around a bunch first before heading down the coast, it can be super nasty and there are very very few spots to bail out if something goes wrong.

Mixed messages ^^^ there.

Don't know your experience level, but a new-to-you boat and that trip spell DANGER.

Here's my experience going north:

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

Photos are under some of the later months' tabs, click on the month to expand to see the photo listings.

Personally, your question indicates either a lack of understanding or a sincere question. Given the fact that at the right time of year it is a downwind trip, a dodger would make little difference other than having good handhold going forward.

You do know they have written BOOKS about this trip?

Whatever, good luck, g-d bless. Safe journey, but learn your damn boat first before you go. That should take a year. You have a great backyard to practice in. The ocean is not a good place to do so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing