Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 04:13   #16

Re: Sailing Zatara causing some Pacific ripples

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Huh? My baseline? I don’t own YouTube
You brought up protestors, presumably in response to F&A quip about shutting Zatara down. One is what F&A wants to see, the other is what YT will do regardless of what F&A wants. So what's protestors got to do with anything? And what Tonga government overreach? Cause that's the only government that matters here.

Quote:
And per the rona’ rules, which rule did the break?
Tonga is closed, they're heading to Minerva. Did you not read the article?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:20   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Huh? My baseline? I don’t own YouTube

And per the rona’ rules, which rule did the break?

That’s not very nice.

Nor does it make much sense
i guess that by pushing the boundries,they will ruin it for all the other cruising boats wanting to leave for the islands.

NZ have very strong links with all the sopac islands as well as a very well established reporting system and it would only take the stroke of a pen to stop all yachts leaving NZ if their destination is suspect and contravene future and present public health regulations.

as it is there are already travel bans for american citizens regardless of their current location in place.

unkind maybe,but track record says differently,hence the stereotype of ugly american
Old 05-07-2020, 04:56   #18

Boat: Garcia Passoa 46

Zatara is not flouting any rules! They left without giving NZ customs a destination as is their right, Minerva is a disputed territory. They can just as well sail on from Minerva to American Samoa. Thankfully someone is not tongue-tied to a wharf and is actually out bending this BS. What's next? Oh it's too expensive to rescue these yachties that go sailing across oceans so better they don't go at all. Or they might be people smuggling or drug smuggling all too expensive to keep a track off better we regulate that caper out of existence! We are drifting into Orwells 1984 asleep at the helm. The fact thankfully is most cruisers are respectfully and leave a good impression gives us good standing most places I visit. However, if we all sit back like bobbing muppets and let this situation crush our freedom of movement when there is no good reason, that is what will end up being the norm. And as far as criticism of their YouTube business, seriously! What self-righteous BS, it is a better occupation than very many I can think of. Brings joy and inspiration to thousands.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:03   #19

In 1918 Spanish flu killed 8000 Samoans and 2000 Tongans.

It was brought to the islands by a boat from NZ

These guys have long memories and play rugby...
Old 05-07-2020, 05:12   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljunina View Post
Zatara is not flouting any rules! They left without giving NZ customs a destination as is their right, Minerva is a disputed territory. They can just as well sail on from Minerva to American Samoa. Thankfully someone is not tongue-tied to a wharf and is actually out bending this BS. What's next? Oh it's too expensive to rescue these yachties that go sailing across oceans so better they don't go at all. Or they might be people smuggling or drug smuggling all too expensive to keep a track off better we regulate that caper out of existence! We are drifting into Orwells 1984 asleep at the helm. The fact thankfully is most cruisers are respectfully and leave a good impression gives us good standing most places I visit. However, if we all sit back like bobbing muppets and let this situation crush our freedom of movement when there is no good reason, that is what will end up being the norm. And as far as criticism of their YouTube business, seriously! What self-righteous BS, it is a better occupation than very many I can think of. Brings joy and inspiration to thousands.
The world is still cleaning up the last biological mess Americans made in the pacific.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:49   #21

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Hmmm, A boatload of Texans you say? I think the Tongans will need a bigger navy
Old 05-07-2020, 10:02   #22

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Like all the “protesters” who are destroying monuments, blocking roads, burning, vandalism and calling everyone a “racist”?

YouTube has a very odd sense of what is cool and what they smash with their censor hammer.

I’d say with the time they spend at sea that should be good enough to show not being sick, plus if you don’t have symptoms, shy of you making out with everyone or licking other people’s utensils, not likely to spread anything
They don't call "everyone" a Racist.
Those that condone those values Of Racism and Bigroty SHOULD be Called out and named, and held responsible for those values.
Remember, they are the ones promoting the Separation of Colors ,Classes.
Some are not going to let it ruin our Country.!!
If you make this thread Political, as you seem to want to do it'll get shut down because we have a form of Censorship right here on this forum.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:06   #23

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljunina View Post
crushing our freedom of movement?

Allowing too much freedom of movement is why more than 50,000 Americans are catching Covid every day.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:08   #24

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
these rules are in place for a reason,ie to stop transmission.
you would not try to import a pet or plants illegally into NZ ,UK or AUZ why should it be any different for potentially infected people.?
Texan's and Americans - rules don't apply to us, our president says it ok.

Same as the one who are entering Canada on the way to Alaska and stopping when they are not supposed to.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:59   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post

Same as the one who are entering Canada on the way to Alaska and stopping when they are not supposed to.
we will just have to see if Darwin's rules for the evolution of the species carry more weight
Old 05-07-2020, 11:16   #26

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post

Actually Texans are one of the most law abiding respectful of others rights demographics. And again, what law did the YouTubers break?

Problem is with this cough, fear has become a virtue, folks who arnt scared seem to not reaffirm the group identity of those who are, so even when the unafraid don’t even break the silly rules they still break the virtue of those who feel the need to change their lives for fear, if they makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
we will just have to see if Darwin's rules for the evolution of the species carry more weight
I’m 1000% with with this.
Let people make their own choices, evolution wise outside from those who are already at their expiration the chance of death from this cough is VERY low, letting it run its natural course would be more akin to what you say, folks healthy enough to cruise might feel like poop for a week or two IF they got it and IF they even got sick enough to show symptoms, both BIG ifs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
crushing our freedom of movement?

Allowing too much freedom of movement is why more than 50,000 Americans are catching Covid every day.
For one, they have classified car crash deaths as covid deaths, so the numbers (especially state side) are iffy at best.

Two, who cares? I’m guessing I might had had it in late January, I’d wager tons of people had it and didn’t even feel sick enough to bother going to the doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
They don't call "everyone" a Racist.
Those that condone those values Of Racism and Bigroty SHOULD be Called out and named, and held responsible for those values.
Remember, they are the ones promoting the Separation of Colors ,Classes.
Some are not going to let it ruin our Country.!!
If you make this thread Political, as you seem to want to do it'll get shut down because we have a form of Censorship right here on this forum.
Talking about rules of government yet saying don’t get “political”...I still can’t wrap my head around that one lol

Also how much of that countries $$$ comes from tourism??
Old 05-07-2020, 11:27   #27

Boat: Lancer 36

My, what an ugly little world this is turning into, all this freedom suppression and America bashing. It is nice Tonga has decided to protect Minerva, even though it is a long way from its own territory, if it helps to protect it from the Chinese fishing fleets.....but no one lives there, and a yacht stopping off enroute to somewhere else is unlikely to start a pandemic (oops, the Chinese sailed that ship already). Seriously, some of you need to reexamine your lives. Having spent 6 weeks in Auckland during the cold months, I can understand the Zatara crew not wanting to hang out in that weather, especially with the nanny state mentality of the government.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:35   #28

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
My, what an ugly little world this is turning into, all this freedom suppression and America bashing. It is nice Tonga has decided to protect Minerva, even though it is a long way from its own territory, if it helps to protect it from the Chinese fishing fleets.....but no one lives there, and a yacht stopping off enroute to somewhere else is unlikely to start a pandemic (oops, the Chinese sailed that ship already). Seriously, some of you need to reexamine your lives. Having spent 6 weeks in Auckland during the cold months, I can understand the Zatara crew not wanting to hang out in that weather, especially with the nanny state mentality of the government.
Indeed

And all these feathers ruffled and they didn’t even break the silly rules to start with
Old 05-07-2020, 11:36   #29

You know,it's curious-couple years ago I watched their vlog when starting out.
Maybe twice.
To me their vlog was like a barber-I give'em 2 tries
Gave it a chance it was an "off day" of editing-but Nooooo.

Genuine type I've learned to avoid.

Look at the choice made-to leave NZ.

Prolly safest country on planet.

Look at that fellows body type-the type convid-19 lays low.

Additionally, NZ is a grand country to sail & explore,there's great skiing also

Cuisine is top flight along with their wines
Old 05-07-2020, 11:52   #30

Boat: Lancer 36

What business is it of yours what Zatara does? You think you have any right to criticize their choices, body type, what country they want to stay in or leave, etc? Guess what....life is not safe, and you will not survive.
Closed Thread

Tags
sail, sailing