Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 09:03   #91

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: Scope, All Chain Rode and Breaking Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
This thread made me scratch my head...

Presumably, if you need 350' of scope, then your options are 200' of heavy chain + 150' of anchor line, or 350' of lighter chain. At 7:1 scope, that's anchoring in 50' of water.

Your anchor gear works best when the strain on the anchor itself is parallel to the bottom so that the anchor drives in, instead of pulls up and out.

Now think about the angle of your dangle... with 150' of rope road leading to the bottom (remember, only 50') that means you have your 231 lbs, laying flat on the bottom, neatly laid out and no real weight pulling your bow down. In the other case, you have an arc of chain, pulling down your bow and the rest of the lighter chain on the bottom. You have less weight driving the anchor in and more weight holding down your bow. Why would you want that?

I've never heard of a 30' boat breaking an anchor chain due to overloading it. Dragging, sure, but never the chain actually breaking. (Assuming no rust, good condition, yadda yadda). So I don't think "breaking strength" is relevant.

In either case, both gear weighs the same on deck so no advantage to sailing.

I simply don't see any arguments for anything but the heavy chain. This isn't a halyard or jib sheet where lighter&stronger is what you want. This is ground tackle. You want heavy. The chain provides a great deal of holding power.

To really drive the point home, examine what you have if you anchor in 10' of water. You want a scope of 70'. That's 1/5th of the light chain, or 46.2lbs. 70' of the heavy chain is 80.85 lbs. So for the same scope, same anchor, you have almost double the weight of anchor chain on the bottom. The heavy chain wins in just about every case I can see.
Agree.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:31   #92

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Note. If you change chain size you will need to change yhe cat head on your winch to match.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:52   #93

Interesting conversation. I’ve never heard a story of a boat breaking loose because chain in good condition (not rusted) broke. It’s always a story about anchor dragging or other hardware coming apart
Estica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:40   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estica View Post
Interesting conversation. I’ve never heard a story of a boat breaking loose because chain in good condition (not rusted) broke. It’s always a story about anchor dragging or other hardware coming apart
Yes, you are exactly right. Ground tackle is a system. Often the bottom holding conditions trump even conservatively sized ground tackle. But the larger chain does add weight which increases catenary in any depth of water and thereby not only adds elasticity but helps the anchor holding.
It should never be about the chain breaking, it should always be about not dragging.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:48   #95

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Keep in mind, if you're going to add weight, adding it to the anchor will help more than the chain. I'd rather have 100 lbs of chain and 100 lbs of anchor than 150 lbs of chain and 50 lbs of anchor. The bigger anchor will give much more margin for short scope, poor bottoms, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:02   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Keep in mind, if you're going to add weight, adding it to the anchor will help more than the chain. I'd rather have 100 lbs of chain and 100 lbs of anchor than 150 lbs of chain and 50 lbs of anchor. The bigger anchor will give much more margin for short scope, poor bottoms, etc.
Why choose one or the other. Agree with your comments about the benefit of larger anchor. Compliment that with the benefits of larger chain for unexpected severe weather situations.

I run all 3/8 HT chain with an 80 lb Manson.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:18   #97
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

I think we all generally agree. But there is more.

Say I am lifting the anchor by hand in 15 feet of water. Do I want a 35-pound anchor and 200 feet of 3/8" chain (1.4#/ft), or 56# lift. Or 150# anchor and a 30' chain leader (121# lift). Clearly, the latter rig is lighter but impossible to weigh by hand.

Or say you have a V700 windlass with a max pull of 700 pounds, but probably only 350 sustained without blowing a breaker. Now, lets say the water is 50 feet deep. In the first case the windlass is pulling 105 pounds. In the second case about 145 pounds (some rope weight). Closer. Anchor in 100 feet of water and the heavier anchor is starting to look good. The deeper the water, the more the chain penalty. But the greater the savings on scope.

So a compromise makes sense.

And then there is the matter of shock absorption. The lighter the chain, the greater the need for a snubber, though in shallow water you will need it either way.

It comes down to understanding your personal needs. Personally, I anchor in shallow water, chain catenary doesn't really do much, so the lighter the chain the better and use longer scope (which still isn't much). In deep water, the same answer for different reasons (even light chain gives good catenary). In middle depths, heavy chain works for many people, reducing scope and giving a cushion in the moderate weather they sail in.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:39   #98

Boat: 51' pilot house cutter, aluminum

A really important question! The responses I have read so far do not mention the most important factor in deciding what chain. Anchoring safety and security is the NUMBER ONE factor to consider, and after that weight in the bow, windless, etc, etc.
So holding power should be the number one decider, and the total weight of of your ground tackle IN THE WATER is a top factor of holding power. You want as much weight in the water as possible.
Therefore, I would choose 5/16" HT for both weight and holding power strength.
Good choice to avoid rope rode, as it is vulnerable to chafe when the wind stops and the rope sinks to the bottom.
captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:43   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
I run all 3/8 HT chain with an 80 lb Manson.
One thing I realize from this thread is that the terms 'heavy' and 'oversized' mean different things to different people.

I personally don't consider 3/8" 'heavy' for a 47' (high windage) boat. I have seen serious (engineless in high latitudes) 30'ers with 12mm chain - I consider that on the heavy side but prudent for their circumstances. Back in the day, we had 3/8" on our 37'er for rtw tropical use. 3/8" for a 47'er seems just normal to me. And we ran 120lb anchors on our 47'er (which I personally considered perhaps a little on the 'heavy' side but not by much for a high latitude boat) so 80 also does not seem at all heavy.

I guess there is a 'relative to other cruisers I hang with' to how people use these terms.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 14:12   #100

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore58 View Post
I have a 70,000 lb motor yacht 58' x 16'
I have 5/16 HT chain with a couple of bad links.
Is there repair links and are they recommended ?
Will they go thru the gypse ?
Is this a good enough chain for anchoring occasionally in the Exumas ?
That's funny.
I assume you're a sailor and this is humor.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 14:18   #101

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
In my experience, the heavier chain makes even a marginal anchor hold better. I will always use an oversized anchor but I will still use the heavier chain unless I need extreme rode length.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 14:21   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
In my experience, the heavier chain makes even a marginal anchor hold better. I will always use an oversized anchor but I will still use the heavier chain unless I need extreme rode length.

The heavier chain will help some, but the point is, the same amount of extra weight added to the anchor will help more. Generally, there's only so much weight that's reasonable to carry in ground tackle (at least until you get into very large boats), so I'd rather have a very generously sized anchor and somewhat lighter (but still plenty strong) chain.
Old 11-10-2021, 15:20   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
One thing I realize from this thread is that the terms 'heavy' and 'oversized' mean different things to different people.

I personally don't consider 3/8" 'heavy' for a 47' (high windage) boat. I have seen serious (engineless in high latitudes) 30'ers with 12mm chain - I consider that on the heavy side but prudent for their circumstances. Back in the day, we had 3/8" on our 37'er for rtw tropical use. 3/8" for a 47'er seems just normal to me. And we ran 120lb anchors on our 47'er (which I personally considered perhaps a little on the 'heavy' side but not by much for a high latitude boat) so 80 also does not seem at all heavy.

I guess there is a 'relative to other cruisers I hang with' to how people use these terms.
Point noted. But if you undersized size ground tackle based on the notion that the ABYC tables have a safety factor of 3 to 5 on 42 knot wind data, then ???
Old 11-10-2021, 15:28   #104

Quote:
The heavier chain will help some, but the point is, the same amount of extra weight added to the anchor will help more. Generally, there's only so much weight that's reasonable to carry in ground tackle (at least until you get into very large boats), so I'd rather have a very generously sized anchor and somewhat lighter (but still plenty strong) chain.
Understand, there’s a limit to how much each boat can carry. But if you are going cruising, the weight of tools, spare parts, clothes, provisions, full tanks, not to mention happy hour liquids, et al sets the water line down some in most boats. So the question is one of priorities. 3/8 HT chain weighs about 1.5 lbs/ft.
Old 11-10-2021, 15:54   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Understand, there’s a limit to how much each boat can carry. But if you are going cruising, the weight of tools, spare parts, clothes, provisions, full tanks, not to mention happy hour liquids, et al sets the water line down some in most boats. So the question is one of priorities. 3/8 HT chain weighs about 1.5 lbs/ft.

I agree that ground tackle weight shouldn't be overly limited on most cruising boats. The issue is that most boats carry all of the ground tackle weight right up at the bow where boats are the most sensitive to added weight, so it's easier to end up with a weight problem there than in many other places.

Tags
rode, scope