Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 08:23   #121

Re: Scope, All Chain Rode and Breaking Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You are actually advised in some commercial Seamanship texts that during the eye, you reset and reposition your ground tackle for the anticipated new direction.
This is some time ago now, but Hurricane Luis, St. Martin - +100 boats at the start, about 30% were lost in the initial wind direction, and most of the rest after the switch - only 4 (If I remember correctly) left at anchor after it was all over.

A lot of the havoc was created by unattended boats coming loose and then taking others with them as they dragged ashore. It turned out there was quite a bit you could do aboard to help your boat survive - I think everyone was too shell shocked during the eye to actually reposition their main anchors, but it turned out that just dropping a huge Danforth off the bow in the lull did a good job cushioning the wind switch.

There was a big debate before the storm among a few of the liveaboard cruisers about whether to be upwind of the fleet at the start or after the switch. The general consensus was to be upwind at the start, to let the poorly anchored boats drag away. It turned out the storm track was slightly different than anticipated and so the initial winds were from the opposite direction, which turned out for the best because the consensus I think was wrong and there was much more uncontrolled chaos after the wind switch and it was better to be upwind them.

For cruisers, these are sort of black swan-type events, and they are entertaining to talk about but each seems to have reasonably distinctive characteristics and the lessons learned had to transfer. (it would be different if you are living or working in the cyclone belt) I personally would think it better for most cruisers to focus on nailing the more mundane - making sure to learn how not to drag when you have a short scope (for reasons) on a perhaps not ideal bottom and a mundane squall comes thru.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:28   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
231 lbs of light chain or 231 lbs of heavy chain. It will affect your sailing performance the same. ;-)

Again, the OP gave 2 options, both the same weight, but different lengths.
ok, we seem to have discussed various options and not stuck to the OP's . . . but there are still compromises at the same weight, which is anchoring scope/depth at all chain - that can be important in some situations (deep coral, or a boat/situation where rope to chain is not practical, or some situations for med-mooring).

none of this is rocket science - it is just a matter of suiting the compromises to your particular situation. And two of the more experienced guys here (jedi and nolex) picked long chain (jedi I believe uses g7? not sure what nolex has)

I'm not personally disagreeing with you on this, my own choices have leaned strongly in the direction you suggest - but other experienced people lean the other way and I have no basis to say their choices are not right for them. It is a matter of compromises and priorities.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:55   #123
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
.... It is a matter of compromises and priorities.
I would agree, ... but just add "balance"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 09:15   #124

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

I am the OP. I have narrowed it down to either G43 or G70 in 1/4". There is a 30 lbs weight savings with the G70 that I could 'invest' 10lbs in a heavier cruising anchor for example a 35 lbs Mantus/Rocna type that I could use in winds over 50kts. OTOH I have been reading about Fortress anchors and their use as towable storm anchors and was wondering what about just using a Fortress/Guardian as my one and only anchor for any condition and take the CQR that cam with the boat and rig in on the stern to use to stop yawing?
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 10:41   #125

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Not buying it and I hope others won’t either. So your argument that your own ground tackle has little to do with what you are strongly advocating new cruisers to select doesn’t wash. You are right about one thing. I am done with you. Your future posts won’t dignify my response.
There is a difference between hard ass and rude!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 16:52   #126

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
I am the OP. I have narrowed it down to either G43 or G70 in 1/4". There is a 30 lbs weight savings with the G70 that I could 'invest' 10lbs in a heavier cruising anchor for example a 35 lbs Mantus/Rocna type that I could use in winds over 50kts. OTOH I have been reading about Fortress anchors and their use as towable storm anchors and was wondering what about just using a Fortress/Guardian as my one and only anchor for any condition and take the CQR that cam with the boat and rig in on the stern to use to stop yawing?
Unless your vessel is very small, 1/4" is not heavy enough to use. You are talking about loads that require high test in 5/16", so your boat must be larger.
But then you talk about a 35 lb Rocna as if it is a large anchor. Do you really need G4?

I use a 30 k Bruce anchor (66 lbs) with 5/16" G4 chain for a 45' cutter (32,000 lbs). It has held in squalls up to 62 kts. For everyday anchoring - I sleep soundly with no worries.
I carry a Fortress 125 if needed, or if I lose my anchor. I have looked at Rocna and Mantus but the Bruce has never dragged and sets reliably.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 17:29   #127

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Unless your vessel is very small, 1/4" is not heavy enough to use. You are talking about loads that require high test in 5/16", so your boat must be larger.
But then you talk about a 35 lb Rocna as if it is a large anchor. Do you really need G4?

I use a 30 k Bruce anchor (66 lbs) with 5/16" G4 chain for a 45' cutter (32,000 lbs). It has held in squalls up to 62 kts. For everyday anchoring - I sleep soundly with no worries.
I carry a Fortress 125 if needed, or if I lose my anchor. I have looked at Rocna and Mantus but the Bruce has never dragged and sets reliably.
What loads are you talking about? Here are the specs for G70 and G43.

https://peerlesschain.com/pleasure/acco-g70-iso-chain

https://peerlesschain.com/pleasure/b...test-iso-chain

I stated my vessel in the OP. 30 x 9' / 9000lbs Cape Dory so low freeboard.

According to the ABYC recommendations 1/4" G43 and G70 are suitable. A 35lb Rocna type is good for 50kts+ winds. Not sure what post you are referring to. A CQR came with the boat but I will be purchasing a 3rd generation anchor ie. Hamburger/Rocna/Mantus/Manson/Ultra
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 18:25   #128

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
What loads are you talking about? Here are the specs for G70 and G43.

https://peerlesschain.com/pleasure/acco-g70-iso-chain

https://peerlesschain.com/pleasure/b...test-iso-chain

I stated my vessel in the OP. 30 x 9' / 9000lbs Cape Dory so low freeboard.

According to the ABYC recommendations 1/4" G43 and G70 are suitable. A 35lb Rocna type is good for 50kts+ winds. Not sure what post you are referring to. A CQR came with the boat but I will be purchasing a 3rd generation anchor ie. Hamburger/Rocna/Mantus/Manson/Ultra
Yes. You've done plenty of research. Time to put it to good use.
Cape Dory has a good reputation. Fair winds.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode, scope