Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2009, 08:31   #1

Boat: 1990 Hunter 28
Seek a Hurricane Hole?

Hey roomies... Yes I like to look forward to hurricane season preparedness especially since i have a 25 k plus investment, PAID FOR.. Sure I can just leave it docked at the marina and tie her up good, but have seen too many pics and stories from IKE hitting galveston area. I am located 80 miles sw of there in Palacios Texas. sitting on matagorda bay about 18 miles from the big matagorda jetties to the gulf. Serendipity resort where I am docked has floating docks and is fairly new and in excellent shape. But I really would not want to picture this marina in a 12-15 foot storm surge. Not a perty site. My options would be to head east via the ICW and motor up the Colorado river 7-8 miles. That far up it is still 16-20 foot deep and has very high banks on each side and still quite wide. I think the matagorda shrimp fleet goes up there and rides it out They raft together. Never seen it but have been up there many times. As the crow flys this said safe area would be only about 8 miles inland of gulf. So anyways, any tips on anchoring tieng up etc?? Thanks
mark
Old 16-04-2009, 13:09   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Are there mangroves up the river? If the tributaries have mangroves then that's a good place to be. Tons of wind protection, and places to tie onto. If you do lose a line the mangroves will only discolor the gel coat for a while, and bend to the shape of the hull. You can always talk to the fisherman about what is further up the river.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 14:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I've ridden out a few hurricanes up river. Here's what I look for: Well inland; little fetch (select the inside corner of a bend or an oxbow where you won't get more than 1 or two hundred yards of fetch); good holding,- usually sandy on the inside turns of a river; shallow,- I have a 4'3" draft and I use a 200 ft. chain rode in a 6' depth; forgiving shore,- like mangrove or mud bank; no debris,- loose docks with tin roofs, etc.; high banks or trees as a wind block; and not crowded with other boats. It's hard to find all these criteria, but at least get the first three. 'good luck, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 14:36   #4
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
i2fro is right, mangorves is a much better option than a marina for hurricne purpose. After all i2fro owns a mangrove site he leases to scared sailors
Old 16-04-2009, 15:05   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
SHHHHHHHH!...i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 06:25   #6

Boat: Watkins 27
Seems that we are neighbors. I'm over in the marina at Port Lavaca.

When Ike was headed our way two dock mated headed down to Port A. There is an anchorage there that I could show you on the charts. One other headed over to Kelly Bay and anchored out. They felt that it would be a lot better than staying in the marina. They removed everything that would catch the wind and put out 3 anchors all with chain rode and chafe gear. The rest of us just took our chances in the marina. This year I'll haul out an run west up past Victoria.

There is also the Victoria barge canal that the shrimpers head up.

David
Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 04:02   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormark45 View Post
motor up the Colorado river 7-8 miles. That far up it is still 16-20 foot deep ....
mark

Mark,
My geography of the USA isnt real good. But we were just missed, about 1 month ago, by a Catagory 5 Cyclone. Now if I was where you are when it get announced I would be motoring up about as far as the Grand Canyon.

If you still have 20 foot depth then you havent gone far enough.

Keep going till there is a mountain range, or other physical feature that will stop, or deviate the hurricane. Or the narrowness of the mangrove creeks makes it safe.

Remember also, all the locals will be rushing to their favorute spot so you need to have a number of good locations on your list. 1 boat anchored where 20 trawlers can go will be a 2 hit fight... they hit town and you'll hit the road.

All the best.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote