Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman
Re: Single Handed & Deadheads

What is a deadhead?? An obstacle in your path? Never heard it called a deadhead... When you are single handing, this is one of the dangers when you are not on watch, I used to try to sail outside the shipping lanes, and theorized that it was safer from ships that do not have look outs and the trash that accumulates from these lanes... I sailed from Australia to New Zealand and up to Hawaii through the Cook island chain and never hit anything but the high seas... My biggest fear was hitting a container, as they sit very low in the water and it is very hard to spot until you are almost on top of them... with devastating consequences I believe...but that is one of the hazardous challenges of solo sailing...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:49   #32

Quote: "If the boat had had a fin keel, there would have been serious damage to the strut/prop or saildrive. " and: "Worry about bending your prop more than anything else."

Precisely! Commercial boats often have "cages" around the prop(s) for precisely that reason. A sharp look-out is absolutely required, but that, of course, becomes second nature. We Sunday-sailors don't have an inflexible schedule to keep, so we can afford to slow down to the point where a log will not be driven under the boat to the detriment of the hangy-down bits. A couple of times I've found myself in a situation where "playing at dozen boats" was required, but in such situations a liberal application of normal intelligence and foresight will keep you from damaging your boat. In such situations it pays to remember that to move an object SLOWLY through water takes hardly any force at all, but to move an object QUICKLY through water takes a LOT of force!

I remember being told, back when the "Atlantic Ferry" still operated, that if the QE was lying alongside, close aboard, but not moored, if standing on the dock you leaned against her side, in about half an hour you would fall between her and the dock! I'm not sure I take that literally, but it does drive my point home!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:51   #33

Two stories about the same passage, a return from Hawaii to the west coast by two different boats, and I know both boat owners. These events occurred within days of each other.

1: A 37 foot fast trimaran, fully delivery crew. Hit "something" at night sailing fast--18 knots. Destroyed front of ama, could no longer make way. Was abandoned and crew picked up by commercial ship.

2: A Dana 24, single handing. Sailing as fast as a Dana can go (5 knots?) Crashed to a full stop upon hitting a mooring buoy made of steel 6 feet in diameter, just awash. Left a Dana-bow shaped dent in the steel, and some paint behind. Sailed home none the worse for wear, except for the missing paint.

So, like all things sailing, "It depends."
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:03   #34

Quote: "What is a deadhead??"

I don't know that you are asking seriously, but in case you are: Here in the Salish Sea "log" means a log floating horizontally. "Deadhead" means a log floating "up and down". The latter is obviously far more difficult to see and therefore much more dangerous.

A deadhead will act like a punch. If you hit it there is NO WAY you are gonna shift it sideways through the water, so if you hit it at any speed, the "business end" of the punch will drive through your hull. If you hit it at low speed, it will be your boat that is deflected, not the deadhead.

If there is a sea running a deadhead, because of its weight and inertia, will remain more or less stationary in Euclidian space (if you see what I mean), while the surrounding water will move up and down. If Neptune is angry at you, it just might be that he will cause your boat coming down along with the water to kiss the business end of the punch. I really don't know that there is any prophylactic measure you can take against that, but on the other hand, in 60 years on this coast I've never heard of a boat being lost due to that particular chance.

TrentePieds
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21   #35

Is there any point in reporting to USCG ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32   #36

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Is there any point in reporting to USCG ?
Some do get reported and the CG will broadcast a Securite call on 16 if it is in a busy area.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49   #37

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

I hit a prehistoric dead head in a channel with no maneuverability, at idle; I put transmission in neutral, still clipped one propeller blade, but no hull damage
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:51   #38

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

I hit a prehistoric dead head in a channel with no maneuverability, at idle; I put transmission in neutral, the deadhead bumped the hull a couple times, still clipped one propeller blade, but no hull damage.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 13:45   #39

You'll find that deadheads occur more frequently in the Straits of Georgia than in Puget Sound due to the greater and more recent activity in the forestry industry. Never any harm in letting the CGs know, but if you are in Straits of Georgia, make it the Canadian CG. As Kelkara sez, they issue a "Securitee" on 16.

If you do strike one, while having a bit of way on, common sense sez you should immediately go to "neutral" and swing your stern clear of it by "steering into it" so your stern swings wide to the opposite side of the one where it hit.

TP
Old 07-02-2020, 14:35   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Remember to be confident in both the designer and yourself. Every boat designer has thought about hitting logs and the protection at the bow waterline is greatest.

If the collision is coming, turning and exposing the much thinner wall sections along the beam is far worse then hitting something head on.

On my vessel that front edge is many layers of fiberglass backed by a beam almost 6 inches thick. Further even if that was completely destroyed, there was a full five feet of anchor locker and a bulk head another 6 inches thick.

It would take quite a collision at very high speed to get through that. Remember also, the shape of the bow will push the log downward and vessel upward to help deflect the impact.

As for confidence in yourself what is your plan?

I carry a few strips of 1/4 inch marine plywood, sharp saw to shape it, stretch wrap, and waterproof Liquid Nails. Hopefully, the plywood repair can be made interior and then stretch wrap applied outside held in place by water pressure and or glue. Also a waterproof flashlight specifically for a quick jump in the water at night.

A lifeboat aboard would divert your attention away from a few simple things to save your vessel.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 17:11   #41

Deadhead is a local term for a local hazard here on the pacific west coast.

Eg. A water logged 40 to 60ft long 2 or 3 or more ft diameter old growth fir tree. Awash floating vertically.
Sometimes they are old "Boom Sticks" with a "boom chain" or a spike added just for giggles.

My boat was designed in Ontario to be a light weight cruiser/racer.
I seriously doubt Mr Cuthbertson or Mr Caisson. Had the concept of a dead head in mind. Or some American, French, German or Swedish dude. When they designed most boats.

On the other hand.
Mr Cooper was a local who built Local boats. Hit a deadhead with a Cooper built boat it will dent the dead head.

Its a genuine hazard to a wooden boat. Local Traditional built F/L are very heavily framed with extra planks in the vulnerable bow section.

According to local news reports even ferries get taken out of service occasionally after hitting one of these.
There is no such thing as "Log Class". I have heard most local ferries and other coastal vessels are ordered built to "Ice Class".
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:25   #42
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Deadhead is a local term for a local hazard here on the pacific west coast.

Eg. A water logged 40 to 60ft long 2 or 3 or more ft diameter old growth fir tree. Awash floating vertically.
Sometimes they are old "Boom Sticks" with a "boom chain" or a spike added just for giggles.
My boat was designed in Ontario to be a light weight cruiser/racer.
I seriously doubt Mr Cuthbertson or Mr Caisson. Had the concept of a dead head in mind. Or some American, French, German or Swedish dude. When they designed most boats.
The term deadhead is also used in parts of Ontario and Quebec (and presumably adjacent USA) including the Ottawa River and Lake Ontario. Most dead heads start out as floating horizontal logs. (Not normally 60 ft here more like 20 ft). Different parts of the log absorb water at different rates and the top of the tree is usually smaller and less dense than the bottom. So the log will gradually sink, usually one end first, and bob along, until it eventually sinks to the bottom completely.

If you dive in areas where there has historically been logging, the bottom is often strewn with logs, looking like a huge game of pick up sticks from a distance. Anchoring in these places is "interesting".

More dangerous than the free floating wood in deep water, is when one end of the log embeds itself in the bottom and the result can be like hitting a pile. For my rowing club, I usually mark these with a buoy if the thing is too heavy to take ashore. A rowing shell could be severely damaged as they are so fragile and they can go up to 10 knots.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 14:25   #43

Deadheads in the northern Great Lakes are a very serious concern. Often not floating but actually driven into a soft bottom several feet. Hitting one is akin to hitting a submerged piling and they are often invisible.

Caused by a floating deadhead getting trapped in winter ice. When water levels fall in winter the weight of the ice drives the deadhead into the bottom. Water rises for the cruising season and there it is just a foot or two below the surface.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, single