Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 03:28   #16

Re: Single Handed Reefing

The problem I have with reefing from the cockpit is that, sometimes, (even if it's only occasionally) things will have to be done at the mast, while the halyard is being eased or tightened: slugs removed from the track, the halyard unlooped from a mast step ....

This is fine when you've two crew but not with one: if you can't handle the lines from the mast, you can't fix some of these problems, at which point ... they kind of stop the show.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:37   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
The problem I have with reefing from the cockpit is that, sometimes, (even if it's only occasionally) things will have to be done at the mast, while the halyard is being eased or tightened: slugs removed from the track, the halyard unlooped from a mast step ....
They are simply issues that should have been considered in the design of the system, there are no slugs there are no loose halyards to go round steps, The system is always under control.

I am not saying single line suits every boat, without some changes and good gear like roller bearing batt cars, but it certainly suits mine and indeed any other boat that is designed for it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:13   #18

in 27 yrs of sailing Shiva, I can count on one hand the number of times I got a sheet in the water (cruising spinnaker)... never a halyard

All lines are led aft and they are organized and under the dodger. If you have a motor it should be reliable enough to use to set a reef. Single handing you need some mechanism to self steer because there are numerous tasks to take you from the helm or tiller.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37   #19

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post

This is fine when you've two crew but not with one: if you can't handle the lines from the mast, you can't fix some of these problems, at which point ... they kind of stop the show.

This emphasises the need to>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
........................Thus it is important that you get a system that is easy to do. ........................
Your system needs to be set up so that there is no requirement to do anything from the mast. Of course it is feasible that one of the lines may get itself tangled - but this should be the only reason. Your main halyard needs to be marked so that the three reefing positions are obvious, then you can slack on the main halyard until just beyond that reefing point, tighten up the single reefing line, then finish with tightening the main halyard. Job is done.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Handed Reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
This emphasises the need to>

Your system needs to be set up so that there is no requirement to do anything from the mast. Of course it is feasible that one of the lines may get itself tangled - but this should be the only reason. Your main halyard needs to be marked so that the three reefing positions are obvious, then you can slack on the main halyard until just beyond that reefing point, tighten up the single reefing line, then finish with tightening the main halyard. Job is done.
Its all very well telling the OP that fancy cars and multiple blocks and jammers, all new running rigging need installing at dog knows what cost on his little boat.. may well add up to what he paid for the boat by the time its all fitted..
Mate... you don't need the fancy gear... that's for boys with big toys.. stick to the basic and very good advice given by others and forget all the fancy doodahs.. 1000's of boats around the world get on perfectly well without em.. just learn your boats behaviour, work out a routine and you'll be just fine..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26   #21

I've come up with some of the same questions doing short day sails in manageable conditions. Even on a mild day the wind (know here as 'the doctor') comes up from the south fairly intensely and quickly in the later afternoon. It can be difficult to close haul in that wind particularly as my boat is so tender. So I've had opportunities to try heaving to when reefing single handed. Has worked well so far. Seas have not been rough - as planned - so far, so good to be reminded I do have an engine if need be. Autopilot is in the short term plan as well.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57   #22

Using my engine isn't really an option, its an outboard mounted on a bracket off the stern so it would cavitate a lot. And I don't have the power necessary to run a tiller pilot for long.

I've heaved to in higher winds, just not in seas that big. Just got to nut up and do it!
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote