Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 18:00   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Singlehanded passage making, Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I'd actually put having a really good radar return above AIS transmit.
Not me in this case. A single hander that can't keep a watch puts other boats at risk. Not great risk, but some increased risk. Broadcasting an AIS signal reduces most of that risk for other passage makers. While it's a big ocean out there, it isn't like single handers are on some different destination or passage plan from the rest of us. They can nap and at least I can make sure we don't close too closely if they broadcast AIS.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 19:17   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Good question, Dockhead! It is that especially if the vessel doesn't have AIS, I'd rather know what it is doing than that it is NUC. His lights being correct tells me what I want to know about his direction of travel and suggests a path for avoidance, if necessary. I do see that NUC tells me something worthwhile, too.

On the East coast of Australia, there is a south setting current, and many ships go NUC and drift south. They're not fixing steering problems, they're taking advantage of free southing. Fortunately, they do broadcast NUC.

But, for singlehanders, who are international cruisers, I think it is a benefit to them to show regular lighting, because if I came across one of the ones I know, I would assume that there was a problem (with the burden to offer assistance) if he (they are mostly men) were showing NUC, whereas I would assume there was not a problem (and burden) if his lighting were normal. [And, yes, there are dangers with assumptions! ;-)] With the kind of cruising we have done, it is common for a number of vessels to take off on a given weather window, and because we are a social lot, we tend to know who's going to be out there in our "pod". We all spread out pretty rapidly, but we'd know if we might overtake a given singlehander, and be keeping an eye out for that one, especially, as they are more vulnerable, having no back up aboard.

Now, there may be a singlehander of whom we are unaware out there. That was what sparked the "morally wrong" thread, was someone who had been frightened declaring that singlehanding was "morally wrong." I'd rather treat that vessel like any other vessel, shorthanded or not.

Ann

Well, I don't think there is any one right answer, but note that you just said yourself "Fortunately, they do broadcast NUC." -- that is, you are glad to know that they are not going to maneuver so that you don't waste time wondering about it. Showing (only) normal nav lights when no one is driving the boat seems wrong to me -- it communicates false information. Other vessels will be glad to know what to expect from you -- they won't care much why.

As to "knowing what he is doing" -- note that NUC signals are displayed together with sidelights and stern light if the vessel is making way. So there is no issue knowing which way he is going etc., when he is showing NUC.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 01:05   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not me in this case. A single hander that can't keep a watch puts other boats at risk. Not great risk, but some increased risk. Broadcasting an AIS signal reduces most of that risk for other passage makers. While it's a big ocean out there, it isn't like single handers are on some different destination or passage plan from the rest of us. They can nap and at least I can make sure we don't close too closely if they broadcast AIS.
AIS transmit is definitely a very good idea, but in my experience a really good radar return is more important out there (not instead of but as well as ais) . But something so important seldom gets mentioned.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 01:52   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Great thread, thank you. About to tackle my first long distance solo, this couldn't have come at a better time.
Old 20-08-2018, 02:20   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
AIS transmit is definitely a very good idea, but in my experience a really good radar return is more important out there (not instead of but as well as ais) . But something so important seldom gets mentioned.
Yes, a lot of vessels dont use AIS
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:34   #21

Boat: Valiant 40
Singlehanded passage making, Best Practices

It’s all about managing fatigue. Fatigue will render all other preparations and readiness moot at the most inconvenient times.

Not just interfering with maintaining a proper lookout, but doing little things like mis-running lines, forgetting to turn on the masthead light, etc.

When solo you want to prevent small problems because many of them can turn into large problems or ones that are difficult to deal with alone.

Use technology (AP, radar AIS etc) *effectively* to best manage fatigue. That means being well versed in all its features and understanding how they can help you. Know how to set alarm zones on your radar and spot squalls. Plot your entire route in advance. If you find yourself in AIS traffic look at ALL the targets’ info. Yes it might be headed west but if it’s a 100’ fishing vessel in five minutes it might be heading east.

Don’t postpone until later a task that you can do now, because later might be complicated by unforeseen events.

Sorry these are random musings but there are lots of relevant bits to soloing safely and it’s hard to catalogue them all.
Old 20-08-2018, 10:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Thanks Stedman for recommending my Singlehanded tips book.

In a general discussion like this, I'll give the best advice that shorter trips (2-4 days) are more difficult than longer trips. For a 24 hour voyage, you can just stay awake. And for longer open ocean trips, your body will get into the rhythm of lack of sleep. But it's on those first few days that you will really suffer and get the hallucinations, etc, that make singlehanding the most fun. (Lots of people pay big dollars for drugs to do the same thing.)

In my book I discuss in some detail a new thing I came up with called "The 3am effect". This is just the fact that at 3am your mind just will not work properly. So you will make significant mistakes like falling in your boat, smashing into Cape Horn, or not seeing the ship that is about to run you down (The Jessica Watson ATSB report should be required reading for every singlehander: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1539485/mo-2009-008.pdf) I've experienced the 3am effect myself on several occasions and nearly been run down by a ship in just these circumstances. So read up on this and understand it before you set off on your passage.

Another thing that I'm really pushing is how to use food to reduce fatigue. I was surprised to see that no one had done any significant research into this issue, so a few years ago (after my singlehanded book) I wrote my own paper on it. I'd highly recommend understanding how food can impact fatigue for everyone contemplating a passage. I have attached the paper below.

Have fun
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SH Meal Planning.pdf (56.6 KB, 911 views)
Old 20-08-2018, 10:32   #23

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

This one is for How To, making the best of a challenging situation.

For various contexts & scenarios, different levels of physical capacity and endurance, etc..
  1. You have to know thyself and like your own company. Discussions with you are allowed and to be honest I have had several but I always win the argument.
  2. Need to be able to make decisions quickly - remember you are on your own.
  3. Things happen in 3s... if one thing breaks fix it, take a step back and have a cup of tea, wait for the second and third and take action.
  4. Knowing the boat inside out helps a lot, you can fix most of the small problems before they become a big issue.
  5. Reef every night, regardless of weather conditions.
  6. Keep dreaming about that juicy steak and cold beer.
  7. Enjoy the solitude and take an inner look, it is a wonderful experience.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:49   #24

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Very good topic and I hope there’ll be more contributions of practices that people find helps.

For my own trips I’ll just tie my truck to Foolish (although not quite as scientifically). I find food and drink a real help so long as I pre-organise. This is especially the case on the night watch. So I have a series of snacks and a thermos full of something, (usually soup) prepared during daylight. Fruit cake is way better than a chocolate bar. I have a time plan in my head for consumption. This just helps to keep awake till the next eating moment. Usually the act of eating/drinking gets past the desire to nod off, at least for another 25-30 minutes.

Keep warm and dry if possible. I find being tired and cold doubly debilitating. So decent clothing is a must.

A dead man timer is helpful, but for me needs to be loud. Click here for a good one.

I think AIS is over rated. Depends where you sail obviously, but many boats aren’t fitted. Some don’t turn them on and many have a long lag time. And I’ve yet to see ugly big rocks with AIS. Radar is far better.

Plan the passage, leave someone on shore with the plan and some sort of contact schedule. Study the route before leaving, make notes for yourself that will still mean something at 4 in the morning. Set a minimum keep away distance and stick to it even though it may mean a longer trip. Sail conservatively and minimise going on deck, especially in the dark. Basic stuff, like always wear a PFD, and always be clipped on.

Be aware it’s really easy to become confused about where you are when tired. Our minds have a way of telling us we are where we expect to be, not where we actually are. So be especially careful to correctly place yourself.
Old 20-08-2018, 12:05   #25

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

When I first started cruising Carina had large nav lights, for a 65' boat, and a large Blipper radar reflector. Going down the coast I contacted the freighters that came close, to learn a bit from their perspective. In spite of the reflector mounted high NONE of them ever picked me up on radar first. After the hail they would tweak the radar and sometimes be able to show me. (This was typically in 6'-8' seas.) In other words, faith in others seeing you on radar is misplaced - the reflected signal pales in comparison to sea clutter in ocean conditions. OTOH my lights were often seen before I hailed them. On my second Atlantic crossing I could only intermittently see, visually and on radar, a large tanker only 3-1/2 miles away (again, rough conditions). But we were tracking each other on AIS (and exchanged hails on VHF). The only way I would have any faith in being seen on radar is with a transponder, not a reflector.

I use AIS continuously under way, and like to set the radar to wake every 5 or 10 minutes to check the guard zone.

Be very careful to keep regular intake of food throughout the trip. If energy levels get low it becomes much more difficult to get the job done.

For coastal and inter-island I try to never plan for more than a day-night-day trip - a second night is very difficult. Going offshore it is much easier to get into the napping/watching routine, and again staying rested and well-fed is the key to keeping things under control.

I find having a large collection of TedTalks useful - they are limited to 18 minutes so they are great for amusement between sweeps of the horizon.

Greg

[Edit: In addition to coffee, I find having a good supply of dark-chocolate covered coffee beans especially useful for staying awake.]
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 12:35   #26

Quote:
Short of having an active radar reflector, it is very difficult for a small boat to have really good radar return in rough conditions.
Old 20-08-2018, 12:51   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Short of having an active radar reflector, it is very difficult for a small boat to have really good radar return in rough conditions.
Exactly! So you are essentially invisible to any vessel not monitoring ais.

Not a good place to be solo, means everything is down to you.
Old 20-08-2018, 12:54   #28

Quote:
Exactly! So you are essentially invisible to any vessel not monitoring ais.

Not a good place to be solo, means everything is down to you.
Huh, you said radar, not AIS. AIS does not have the requirements that radar has for a continuous view of the target.
Old 20-08-2018, 13:54   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Food, forgot about that. Hell I use snacks when driving any distance.

I found some Mexican food stores carry these really nice nut bars with all kinds of different nuts. They are a good energy food, not just junk. I like to have some of them around.

Beef jerky if you can get it. Takes 15 mins to chew one piece.

I had an active radar reflector but it kept being set off by my radar. Then again I’ve steel boats. That helps.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 14:14   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Huh, you said radar, not AIS. AIS does not have the requirements that radar has for a continuous view of the target.
Sorry, meant even if you are transmitting AIS no one will see you if they aren't monitoring AIS. Though not monitoring radar seems to be very likely from ships forums etc.

So effectively you are invisible in some weather unless you do something to get a good radar return.

More important than transmitting AIS IMHO.

Both best of course.

Tags
passage, single