Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 14:29   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Singlehanded passage making, Best Practices

I don't drink alcohol, nor do I like steak, but what would be stopping you from making proper meals while way offshore, compared to coastal cruising?

Yes popping up to have a look, but I would think less frequently required out in the empty vastness compared to the more crowded areas.

I do a lot of thermos pot cooking, bring it to a boil then let it sit 2-3 hours, for curry/gravy/stew with tough meat maybe repeat once or twice. . .

I can't think of any meal prep that can't be done a few minutes here and there over time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 14:32   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ive cooked no knead bread on passage.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:01   #33

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

1 - live in the cockpit.
2 - If your passage is going to be over 12 hours, start napping before you need to.
3 - Don't depend on your AIS or Radar to save your life.
4 - Know where the shipping lane are and sail further off shore than everyone else.
5 -Use your safety harrness
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:20   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Thumbs up Re: Singlehanded passage making, Best Practices

I just finished reading Foolish's paper on nutrition, and I have to thank him publicly for it.

There is a whole lot of interesting information, all documented as to sources, and extremely applicable for improving alertness while singlehanding. Highly recommended.

Ann
Old 20-08-2018, 16:13   #35

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I just finished reading Foolish's paper on nutrition, and I have to thank him publicly for it.

There is a whole lot of interesting information, all documented as to sources, and extremely applicable for improving alertness while singlehanding. Highly recommended.

Ann
Ditto.

I will add a bit to the caffeine section - modulate your caffeine consumption according to expected fatigue situations. I like the taste of coffee, but generally only drink decaf during everyday situations. Prior to my retirement, and my current nearly full time boat living and cruising (occasionally solo) I did drive cross-country heavy trucks - my engineering laboratory was deployed from a heavy truck. On duty, I would consume caffeine (mostly coffee, some energy drinks). When not on the road, i would cut caffeine consumption way back.
Works very well for me.
Gotta try the NADH supplement. Ginseng doesn't do much for me.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 16:20   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I don't drink alcohol, nor do I like steak, but what would be stopping you from making proper meals while way offshore, compared to coastal cruising?

Yes popping up to have a look, but I would think less frequently required out in the empty vastness compared to the more crowded areas.

I do a lot of thermos pot cooking, bring it to a boil then let it sit 2-3 hours, for curry/gravy/stew with tough meat maybe repeat once or twice. . .

I can't think of any meal prep that can't be done a few minutes here and there over time.
I crossed 20 miles of bay this passed weekend and saw 2 sailboats 8 to 10 miles away. Besides that, there were a few small fishing boats.

There were almost more ships than small boats.

If I'd had AIS the two I didn't see until there were 3 miles or so away would have been evident much sooner. One hid behind the tunnel islands and the bridge, the second was behind the 14 anchored ships near Kiptopeke. See link below.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:36.5/zoom:9

I took bearings on both and made decisions based on speed and distance as to whether or not to cross in front of

I could easily go below and cook.

Out in the ocean 50 plus miles offshore or more, it would be no problem at all
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 16:40   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
AIS transmit is definitely a very good idea, but in my experience a really good radar return is more important out there (not instead of but as well as ais) . But something so important seldom gets mentioned.

OK, branching out a bit, but still on topic. How do you ensure a "really good radar return" on a small, mainly fibreglass cruising sailboat?

How many cruisers have an active radar reflector?
How many rely on one of those ineffectual tube type (ice tray) reflectors hung in the rigging?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 16:56   #38

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

I second the thanks for the piece on nutrition. As a new night shift nurse, I will definitely benefit from reading it.

Also, I like StuM's question about radar return on a small fiberglass boat, but hope he starts a new thread for that and let this one remain on the great topic at hand....

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 16:57   #39

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Sorry, meant even if you are transmitting AIS no one will see you if they aren't monitoring AIS. Though not monitoring radar seems to be very likely from ships forums etc.

So effectively you are invisible in some weather unless you do something to get a good radar return.

More important than transmitting AIS IMHO.
I'm not getting your logic. If AIS is being transmitted you will be seen 50 miles or more away. And by seen I mean that a ship's AIS system will sound an alarm if a (near) collision is computed. Similarly a ship will have ARPA-equipped radar that will do the same for radar targets, but it is unlikely that the alarm will sound in time to avoid collision, if ever, because of a small return from the yacht. From what I have seen ships are not keeping a good visual watch, they are counting on those alarms to warn them in time. So AIS is the only hope that they will see and act, not radar.

On our side, AIS lets us know from 50 miles or so out that a freighter is heading our way, can sound an alarm and thus get our attention. If a ship is coming my way the radar will probably alarm between 5 and 10 miles out, or less in rough conditions. And for other yachts it may never sound. As I said before, I use both, but I consider AIS far more effective at collision avoidance at sea on a short-handed yacht. Radar has other valuable uses, however.

An acquaintance of mine was run down by a ship on a clear day with calm seas. There was no wind, and he had recently removed his broken engine, so he was literally a sitting target. He watched as the ship came over the horizon directly for him, calling on his VHF to alert them. They didn't answer - they weren't standing watch. My guess is that the radar was tuned as on most ships to not give false alarms, and hence not pick up small boats. Fortunately someone took notice after the collision and they came back for him, but his boat and cat were lost. It is worth repeating: it is unlikely that a ship will pick up a small fiberglass or wooden yacht with the radar alarm.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 17:15   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Should also really include discussion of the even greater importance of avoiding any injuries and how to be ready for them when they do occur.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 17:31   #41

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Sorry, meant even if you are transmitting AIS no one will see you if they aren't monitoring AIS. Though not monitoring radar seems to be very likely from ships forums etc.

So effectively you are invisible in some weather unless you do something to get a good radar return.

More important than transmitting AIS IMHO.

Both best of course.
I still dont buy the argument. We wouldnt be having this conversation or the other two on single handed passage making if the SHer could keep a quality 24 hour watch. Saying that other boats might not have a good watch does not change the fact that a SH on passage will have periods, and in some cases many periods, with a less than ideal watch.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 19:45   #42

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Should also really include discussion of the even greater importance of avoiding any injuries and how to be ready for them when they do occur.
Good point. You can also worry about equipment failures while underway. Or maybe we should stress out about the weather going to hell with the odd rain squall complete with water spout ( it happened to me). The most shipping traffic I dealt with was approaching the Panama Canal on the Pacific side. I stopped counting at 24 large ships in 12 hours.

While I was on my solo cruising adventure for 10 years, I think I almost lost my life 4 times and almost lost my boat about 7 times. In talks with other cruisers, this was considered about average.
What I learned was that no two passages were the same and you just dealt with the differences.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:18   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

there may be something in this thread to contribute:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-187290.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:49   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
OK, branching out a bit, but still on topic. How do you ensure a "really good radar return" on a small, mainly fibreglass cruising sailboat?

How many cruisersr have an active radar reflector?
How many rely on one of those ineffectual tube type (ice tray) reflectors hung in the rigging?
Down to the skipper, I'm lucky in that respect having a steel boat so don't have to do anything. The post that started this sub-thread was regarding ais transit. Which is indeed a very good idea (must get one ) but IMHO having a very good radar return is more important.
If you are heading out into the ocean alone then it's not actually that different in some ways than crewed imho - try to get the odds in your favour as much as possible within the constraints of budget, weight and technology - seeing and being seen feature large in that rolling of the dice..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 21:55   #45
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I still dont buy the argument. We wouldnt be having this conversation or the other two on single handed passage making if the SHer could keep a quality 24 hour watch. Saying that other boats might not have a good watch does not change the fact that a SH on passage will have periods, and in some cases many periods, with a less than ideal watch.
Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, you seemed to be saying 'too hard to get a good radar return', my take is if you're going out there then do your homework and sort it out, make sure you have a strong blip so others can see you. More important than ais imho.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, single