Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 08:06   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

with a formosa 41, he has 3 clews..LOL... if he hd clue, he would not be asking questions in a forum......
as for google maps, i find my formosa is still in the moorings at same position has been for yrs..LOL... they are not up to date pix there--i have been paddling my kayak on route to my boat for 4 yrs..LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09   #62

Quoted "Zeehag"
you will need a really good mizzen and you will want your forestaysail installed and working nicely. doesnt have to be roller furled--isnt on the sprit. the jib on the sprit needs to be roller furling so yu have less need to wander onto sprit in seas.

Zeehag,
how or where is your innerforestay chainplate or padeye secured to on your formosa 41?
the reason im asking is because when I purchased mine in November, it was anchored to a padeye that is thru deck fastened right aft of the bowsprit connection plate. I have removed that stay cz im in the proccess of removing my bowsprit due to some wood rot at its base..
im thinking (and later testing) about mounting another anchor point for this stay right over or at the point wherethe sprit exits the bow. That way I shift the center of effort ob the staysail a bit forward.

Btw my foresail is a regular hank on which I prefer, I could switch sails fairly easy between my genoa, working jib or my storm jib. Never had problems so far being there in 15 to 18 ft., of course always tethered.

As far as autopilot,.never really messed with hydraulic ones. The one that I have now is a linear drive connected to the quadrant, and I will be investing in a windvane. I believe its a much better choice. I might be removing binnacle and affixing a regular tiller instead of rhe wheel..i still have to think this one a while.

What is the engine that you have. Ihavethe perkins 4'108.i had to buy recently a new starter because I couldnt rebuild the older lucas one . Lucas only ships within the UK.

Thanks for the info
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Z View Post
By the way I AM A DREAMER. But I thought everyone else that did it was too.
Nothing wrong with dreaming, but how about preparing in a meaningful way? Like spending a few years making shorter, less complicated passages, learning coastal and blue-water navigation, taking a weather course (or two).

Then start talking seriously about being the first whatever.

If you've done all that already, forgive my impudence, but there's no indication of it here. For one, you seem to be ignorant of very basic weather routing.

What's the hurry?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:22   #64

richard--lucas is prince of darkness and reason english drink warm beer. is best to have gotten another one--mine broke just north of cedros island--- what a mayhem..LOL...was fun! at least we had wind for a moment.
i dont have a forestaysail yet-- want one-- i will have to place a track and a mounting point..it will be self tending when i do get one. most i have seen have the attachment point for innerstaysail just inside the caprail at the point of the bow on the sprit--i am not sure i want that --it will be a hank on sail--i will research more-- we did fne with only jib and mizzen in 60 kt winds-- made 8+ kts with both reefed-- these bricks do sail decently.
i do have a 4-108 perkins---goood engine. leaked a lot when i started out now doesnt leak at all--i got lucky and found great crew-- excellent engine work. fixed mine perfect.
do take spare belts and impellers and a spare water pump">raw water pump whenye go. and make sure the e alternator is aligned well. i went thry 4 blts and 2 pumps on way here --only 1500 ish miles---- because the alternator bracket was misaligned.
many spares dont come to mind until yer out and broken....
remember-- these boats WERE made to travel seas and go long distances.
they just dont love quartering seas much-- they may not poop-- but the seas will come over the waist of the boat, forward of the cockpit, so ye stay dry.
they are great fun to sail, and look awesome sailing.
do learn the weather and sailing routes an d have charts as well as a gps.....know how to read the charts--isnt hard--just takes practice.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If his country is Kazakhstan it may be a lot of money. Have you ever passed the hat around a country like that? In the end the only thing in the hat is dandruff.

I think we should know the country

I think this is a little cheap and pretty much has nothing to do with sailing. Dont the gentelmen in here agree?
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29   #66

richard--ignore the cheap shots and continue the planning--is alll good---a formosa is a wonderful thing to have.....
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Z View Post
I think this is a little cheap and pretty much has nothing to do with sailing. Dont the gentelmen in here agree?
Yes, very cheap

Don't get your life hung up about it.

The more you give the more you receive. Thats cheap advice too

We get a lot of new members who ask these sort of questions and don't provide enough information for the members here to determain if the poster is off with the pixies, or knows what they are on about.

The more info you supply helps us supply hard won knowledge and advice for free Thats also cheap!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:46   #68

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Watch out foe your cheap opinions MarkJ

As punishment, you must swim 3 laps to the nearest bar and force yourelf to have a drink each time..

He's the only one allowed to use cheap shots.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23   #69
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

That bars shots are so expensive I can only rent them.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:23   #70
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I wouldn't worry about 15-18ft. seas. That's child's play compared to the 50,60 ft., and even higher waves that you may see. Maybe you should You tube some southern ocean sailing videos? Remember pictures, and film make the waves look 1/4 their true heigth. You really have a very lot of homework to do.........BEST WISHES..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 14:15   #71

even the pacific (west coast of usa) is able to throw 50+ footers at ye-- i wouldnt wanna take my formosa into them at all ... research well-- look t the trends and patterns of all weather and figger it out really well. for good rtw advice, markj is good--after all, he went round the world in a bendy toy--if that dont say he is a decent sailor, i cant say anyhting else.
as far as formosas go-- these are heavy bricks designed for long distance cruising---yes, they have their quirks, but so do all boats. sailing isnt the boat, is the sailor.
practice and prepare.
learn weather and currents and wind and drift tendencies for wherever you will want to sail...and make sure the mechanix of the boat--sails and engine and drive train are particulary good.....and that you can repair things while underway.
Old 05-07-2011, 14:26   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

How about teaming up with the Fella who was asking about the Jetski?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 15:41   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
even the pacific (west coast of usa) is able to throw 50+ footers at ye-- i wouldnt wanna take my formosa into them at all ... research well-- look t the trends and patterns of all weather and figger it out really well. for good rtw advice, markj is good--after all, he went round the world in a bendy toy--if that dont say he is a decent sailor, i cant say anyhting else.
as far as formosas go-- these are heavy bricks designed for long distance cruising---yes, they have their quirks, but so do all boats. sailing isnt the boat, is the sailor.
practice and prepare.
learn weather and currents and wind and drift tendencies for wherever you will want to sail...and make sure the mechanix of the boat--sails and engine and drive train are particulary good.....and that you can repair things while underway.
Well, Mark J has made his bones to some degree all right, but being of sound mind, he did not go by way of the great capes as this guy says he wants to go. So, while he can certainly attest to the social highlights of his circumnav, the OP better find other sources of info!!

And for the OP, would you really set off on this adventure relying on info from the internet?? Mate, you have some serious homework to do before you leave... like doing some really heavy weather sailing near to home and before setting out for a non-stop anything. Things are gonna break and it is sure better for this to happen before you set out.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-07-2011, 15:44   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
How about teaming up with the Fella who was asking about the Jetski?
Soooooooooooooooo... DOJ, do you ever remove your tongue from your cheek... lol
Old 05-07-2011, 15:46   #75

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Okay Richard, you're still working for a living, have bought a fixer upper and have a dream to fix her up and sail her around the world. Nothing wrong with that. If she's in average condition for a boat of this type and of this age you have a loooong way to go before you need to start thinking about planning the trip. You mentioned some rot issues. I'd guess the deck probably has soft spots and you may find that the mast support beams need to be replaced, maybe the cockpit rebuilt and replacement of at least some of the cabin sides and top. How about the electrical system and the engine, the masts and booms, standing rigging, tanks and pumps, thru hulls, zincs, bottom work and on and on. No short cuts. Working by yourself it's going to take awhile. Granted, my boat went through about a total restoration, but it took eight years and I still have cosmetics to complete.

Tags
circumnavigation