Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 16:27   #76

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

Hey, really good thread that I figgered was dead.

Zee refers Capt Z to MarkJ for advice. Can't make this stuff up. I only think it's ironic, not bad or erroneous to be sure.

Blue Stocking: With our large number of members, we have people everywhere on the globe.
You might find that one of your countrymen, or women, has if fact been around. OTOH, we might be able to say, WE knew you first, right here.

Yep. This seems really risky to me too. 6.93 BILLION potential sailors on the planet. Even subtracting 5 B Chinese (why are they getting so much more action than I am?) that's still 2 B people... I forgot where I was going with that ...

21 countries border the Med. At least one is on two DIFFERENT continents! How about that!

SA: I heard early on about this. I think CF is a little too nice but that's better than rudeness. Someday I'll have a look.

Capt Z: one of your last posts sounded to me like maybe you actually are a sailor. As the newcomer, I think it's on you to explain yourself, not insult us. I'd put real money, if I had any, on not even one CF reader gives much of a damn about you being the first ___________ to sail solo nonstop ATW. Further, I'd bet few ____________ give a crap either. Go start another thread and rephrase what you're after. These are good folks here.

Good Luck.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 16:38   #77

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Solo Nonstop Circuimnavigation

A very rough path through the Southern Ocean section for you. About 13,000 miles or over 3 months in a Formosa with nowhere for a pit stop. Please start reading about people who have done this ... read about the Vendee Race, the Around Alone or Volvo races. This isn't about "the boat" and getting it ready ... its about you and your skills!

Trying to help ... really.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTW - Soutern Ocean .jpg
Views:	246
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	29318
Old 05-07-2011, 17:08   #78

How about the people who do it more than once?

Once, OK. But the second time I'm going to stop and smell the seaweed.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:24   #79
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i did not tel cpt z i would not dream of taking my formosa on that run.....and i referred markj only because his boat is most unlike ours...and he has gone around the globe3-- if he isnt a decent sailor he stumbled well enough between beers to gt alllll the way around...LOL
formosas can be reaired, as all boats can, at a dock-- but these particular boats do well being repair as you sail boats-- nothing is hidden and all is within reach of inside the boat or the cockpit. one doesnt HAVE to go to a dock if one has the proper and appropriate spares for the job required.
i didnot tell him that it would be easy, did i???? to tell him would be easay would be a very large lie. telling him is impossible is as big a lie.

for some local knowledge of some areas you may be sailing thru and how to fix some of the particular thingies formsas have, there is a bunch of folks with formosa, young sun. other leaky teakies in a yahoo group called leaky teaky yacht club. if you havent found it yet, go there to see what they can teach ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 19:40   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
How about the people who do it more than once?

Once, OK. But the second time I'm going to stop and smell the seaweed.
For some Once Is Enough

Actually, rather than read "The Long Way" by Moitessier, a better choice might be his Cape Horn: The Logical Route ; 14,216 Miles Without Port of Call. He pretty much establish the standard for how to run before the storms in the Southern Ocean.
Old 05-07-2011, 20:17   #81

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I wouldn't worry about 15-18ft. seas. That's child's play compared to the 50,60 ft., ...
Something like this, sitting fifty feet above sea level:

Old 05-07-2011, 20:51   #82

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
How about teaming up with the Fella who was asking about the Jetski?
And that dude with the goat can go with em!

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:25   #83

Hey all,

I guess things started somehow wrong according to some, or maybe folks misunderstood, what is being said.

a little bit of explanation,

i never mentioned that i am leaving anytime soon, in contrary to what some people understand.
all i said that i am planning on it. i purchased my current boat for this purpose.
currently im in the mode of adjusting the boat the way i see that need adjustment based on the failures that i get with her, or i should say breakdowns.

i appreciate everybody's comments and advices and take em into accounts based on the huge amount of experience involved.

the only thing that i did not appreciate is the comments about the coutry, but then again that is behind me.

the reason that i am not going to mention where i coming from is becasue of my privacy, and so far nothing is official yet. i do not have the budget nor the sponsorship. besides one of the most important things that i am missing is southern ocean sailings. but i will be getting that or at least in areas similar to the seas over there.
what i am/will be doing is going out and seeing what goes wrong with me/ my boat, what kind of bad decisions i make and in various weather conditions. My area now is the gulf of mexico since this is the closest area where i can be within reach of my work( as i mentioed before that i am still working to support what i am doing). for those who might ask i do not work on a daily basis, i work offshore, that gives me plenty of time to go out by myself when i am off.

again,as i mentioned in one of my posts, is that experience is what you get when you mess up and survive from.

i am not planing to be out for the voyage before at least two years, that gives me time to figure out most of the weak points with me and the boat, and definitely i would have saved up some good sum of money to support myself in case i was not succesful with sponsorship.

i did not post here for the purpose of learning from others what do i need to do to sail. I already do sailing, i am/ been a sailor, raised and lived by the sea.
although i appreciate all info, it is all valuable. sometimes it is good to learn from somebody elses mistakes, the same way i try to teach or show my friends around me what went wrong with me in different setups, so that it wouldnt happen to them.

the reason i am here for is to try to get some information guidance, the things that i cannot get by myself, thats why i am refering to your experiences.

I never took sailing classes/training at least not from fancy or famous schools. I learned it from friends and from old seamen back in my home. that is when i moved on from an 8 ft row boat and startred going on and on. never listened to anybody that told me that i cant go by myself in a small boat out in open sea away from visual contact with land. i did and i was in trouble but i didnt die or quit the sea. i managed everytime to arrive by myself back to my homeport.
and i learned a lot that way.
most of what i know i learned by myself, never had anybody to teach me stuff. i dont carry any prestigous sailing certificate and i dont care to carry one cz thats not what defines a sailor.
i learned/still learning about many subjects and fields, including celestial nav, long range communication, but one thing i havent learned is long range weather routing. which was the main thing i asked about in my first post. i consider myself ignorant about weather routing( not about weather). I was never involved with any community or group that i were able to learn weather routing from.
my thing was if im going from point a to point b, i just go and deal with what comes on my way, be it storms or calms, highs or lows, or any other incidents that lead to mechanical or system failures. that taught me a lot.

i believe that learning about weather routing( which is one of my weakness points) is from books and sharing info from experienced people in this field, and absolutely from my own experiences. such knowledge i will not be able to start of with without getting some kind of information from somebody. thats one of the reasons i am here, to get a kick off on that type of information.

i am not here attacking anybody and i expect the same, just looking for the info i am missing.

again i appreciate your info, and experience,

Thank you
Richard Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:30   #84

addition: i guess i missed the part where a sailor has to be registered somewhere to be a sailor
Old 06-07-2011, 13:36   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I wouldn't worry about 15-18ft. seas. That's child's play compared to the 50,60 ft., and even higher waves that you may see. Maybe you should You tube some southern ocean sailing videos? Remember pictures, and film make the waves look 1/4 their true heigth. You really have a very lot of homework to do.........BEST WISHES..........i2f

never been in 50 -60 ft seas, but then again, all i said is that ive been on my sprit in 15-18s. whenever im in bigger seas i dont think there is a need for me to be at the bowsprit messing with my sails. usually when the seas are higher i used to have my sails are setup, and id be sitting in the safety and shelter of my cockpit...

i am planning to be in some soon and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2011, 14:43   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Z View Post
Hey all, .....

i believe that learning about weather routing( which is one of my weakness points) is from books and sharing info from experienced people in this field, and absolutely from my own experiences. such knowledge i will not be able to start of with without getting some kind of information from somebody. thats one of the reasons i am here, to get a kick off on that type of information.
One of the best, if not the best, services for this is Commanders' Weather. They have been used by a lot of single handed sailors ... famous and otherwise. Not sure what it costs, but you might want to check them out and make it part of your budget. Worth it I'm sure.
Old 06-07-2011, 16:16   #87

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

As was quoted about the 50-60' seas, the only way to experience those seas is rounding the cape as the sea in the N Atl, N Pac etc is ABSOLUTELY nothing like it anywhere.

Did it once, will never do it again. Good experience, glad I did it, but will NEVER do it again.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:13   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
As was quoted about the 50-60' seas, the only way to experience those seas is rounding the cape as the sea in the N Atl, N Pac etc is ABSOLUTELY nothing like it anywhere. .

When I was building my Wharram in Gaveston this old fart would stop by to kibbutz, and one day told a story of being in the Southern Ocean on a research vessel in that kind of nasty weather and the boat was called to help a trimaran in distress. When they got to the tri it was spinning horizontally off the tops of huge breaking waves. The four crew went overboard to reach the rescuers; only three were found. Only one survived.

O' for a life on the rolling sea.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:35   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Damnit man just do it.good luck DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 20:18   #90

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34

One can think about weather routing on several different time and distance scales. Zooming out, one starts by looking at the established large-scale global circulation patterns in the atmosphere and the oceans -- the tradewinds, ITCZ, westerlies, etc..., as well as currents such as the Gulf Stream and the Aghulas.

Most texts dealing with Marine Weather for Sailors will touch on these global-scale circulation patterns, as will the "how to sail around the world" types of books (for some oldies but goodies, you could look at "After 50,000 Miles" by Hal and Margaret Roth, or "Voyaging Under Sail" by Eric Hiscock, although both have been supplanted by much more recent books.)

You could also spend some time studying the Atlases of Pilot Charts for the respective oceans you will be crossing.

Zooming in, you can look at a cumulonimbus building ahead of you and make decisions about which side of to aim for to get a boost.

Hope this helps,
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation