Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2020, 16:12   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
source of vest type PFD like Stormy Seas

Hi,
I used a Stormy Seas PFD starting in about 1980. They were an inflatable bladder inside of a sleeveless pull over. They were designed by a commercial fisherman to get more people to wear a PFD. The Stormy Seas product is no longer made and I'm wondering if there is anything like it on the market.

The company (now gone) later made a vest (also jacket) with a nice lining and pockets and I bought 2 in 2008. Always wear aboard: fell in once, inflated immediately. However, now they are over 10 years old, so would like to replace.

We love them as they are warm and you can carry a VHF and other items in pockets. These were made with standard Halkey-Roberts inflators (manual/automatic) and I assume the bladders were custom made to fit the vest. They were never USCG approved (so don't "count" as a requirement). They had been available through several reputable suppliers, like Landfall.

While we have many inflatable PFD's aboard, none are as comfortable or as handy as those from Stormy Seas.

Anybody know of a similar product.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stormy seas vest.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	207060  
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd