Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 15:12   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
St. Lucie Inlet to Miami with NE 15-25 knot winds?

Good Evening. Happy Easter and Happy Passover.

I’d like you’re feedback. I’m planning an overnight to Miami this Wednesday from Stuart and planned to go outside to avoid the bridge parade. However, the forecast is for N/NE 15-25 knot winds and approximately 6 foot waves, also from the N/NE, at approximately 6 second intervals.

This is a no brainer for me if I’m going upwind. I’m not going. But since this is a downwind run, I’m not as sure. Since I have the opposite of an iron stomach, which has frustrated me, and on rare occasions, debilitated me, I use the patch when crossing the gulf or bonine for a bumpy coastal forecast. Unfortunately the patch makes me sleepy so I’m considering using 25mg Sturgeron and hoping for a less drowsy experience if we venture out. Sorry, back on track.

I recognize the decision for my comfort lies with me, but I’m curious for those of you reading this, would you go outside?

It may be helpful to know that I need to be in Miami by 5pm Friday so I’m not rushing. I can anchor at Peanut Island or a little farther south, and even anchor Thursday night if the crew preferred. Mostly I’m curious who goes out in that forecast, assuming it’s correct?

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 16:21   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: St. Lucie Inlet to Miami with NE 15-25 knot winds?

I would go!

For me, an experienced offshore sailor with a capable catamaran, the forecast looks ideal for a nice fast rip down the coast! The most challenging parts will be running the inlets, but I see no huge red flag. I expect once in the ocean the swell will not be bad.

You need to make the call for your boat and personal situation. It will be necessary to reef. The ability to execute a controlled jibe in a breeze will also be useful.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:08   #3

Boat: Tartan 37

Thanks for the response Sparx.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:22   #4

I might be late to the party. NE@15-25 is becoming the norm here. You should have a great trip (Reef 1 or 2 depending upon how comfortable you are).

The GS is several miles off Stuart (8+) and Miami (4+). You will have plenty of water 1 mile off (50' to 100') so the stream will not be an issue. Enjoy the ride.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot, miami, wind