Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 10:20   #16

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: Stay on board or get on dry land

A safe harbor is not safe if you are onboard in 120+ winds. Nothing you can do at that point that you have not already done. Here in Boot Key my mooring just passed its semi annual inspection, Got the new spliced mooring whips rigged with a third to install if the blow comes. Plan is to strip the canvas, bimini, all and etc as noted by previous posters. Pack up the ditch bag and head ashore for the local shelter. Not sure if I will try to get all the way up to Miami to the Monroe County shelter, probably stay here in Marathon with the rest of the idiots. But, I WILL NOT be on the boat.

Back in my 20s my wife and I lost a boat during a typhoon in the Marianas. Lucky not to have drowned, that is when I learned after 120 mph you can do nothing but hang on for the ride.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I can't get another boat from the morgue.
Old 19-05-2016, 10:27   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

well designed hurricane hole in mexico was very safe in 200 mph sustained winds with gusts over 250 mph. funny how design makes such a difference.
every locale and every storm just happen to be different.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 12:40   #18

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I don't know if hurricanes at the coast ever have small tornadoes or "micro bursts". I don't know how anyone can predict where and when a micro burst will occur. I have sat out two large hurricanes. Saw the damage from these small isolated tornadoes. One trashed most of my yard and the neighbors house. My house was untouched, only lost two shingles, less than 100 feet from its path. Witnessed the same phenomena about 10 years later. Just something to think about.
Old 20-05-2016, 05:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
I don't know if hurricanes at the coast ever have small tornadoes or "micro bursts".
They do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
I don't know how anyone can predict where and when a micro burst will occur.
They can't.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 16:06   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Pre Hurricane Ivan Tornado in Panama City which is a couple hour drive from Pensacola where the hurricane came in

You can see the transformers exploding which the young folks in Pensacola thought of as a light show as the hurricane came in. About 80% of the roofs were under blue tarps afterward which was very evident flying in

They didn't know we'd be a week or so without power and on a curfew enforced by the National Guard. Everyone off the streets by 4 pm

At 4 am on the 18th, I was at one of the grills at our apartment complex brewing coffee. I had never seen so many stars on land except maybe in Arizona. Luckily for us the hurricane was in September and not July like one a year or so later occurred. Hot as hell and no power

Ivan in Pensacola. (18' surge in some places at around 2-3am)

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 10:46   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lived aboard so stayed aboard for two tropical depressions/ex hurricanes in Norfolk. The first time was on a mooring and nearly lost the boat trying to adjust the mooring line. Strain was so great that only a fluke kept the line from pulling though my hands once I'd loosened the line from the cleat. Got one hell of a rope burn and what seemed like hours in torrential rain and wind on the foredeck hanging on to the line before a lull allowed me to secure it.

Second time was in a slip with fixed walkways. Boats rolled so badly during the night the masts began banging into the boat's mast next door. Wasn't a thing I could do so decided to leave the boat. Unfortunately the storm surge was so high the docks were underwater and I couldn't see to get off. With the boat rolling so badly and unknown depth of water over the dock, was afraid I could crush a leg if I mistimed or misjudged a jump to the dock.

Have decided to secure the boat as best as possible before the weather hits, make sure the insurance is paid up and ride the storm out ashore. It's not worth risking my life for the boat especially when it's doubtful that anything I could do, after the fact, would help.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote