Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 15:46   #1

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Staysail

I learned something new about the staysail on Sunday. I was going down wind a 120 to 130 at .7 kts and wanted to go more to 130 or 140 to make the mark. I went up front to put out the pole and found screws missing in the head of the pole so I abandoned the pole and wing-on-wing configuration. With only the main I was making .5 kts and not wanting to hear the jib flog at 130 to the wind I put up the staysail. Wow, what a difference. Suddenly I was making 2 kts and a little more at time. It appears that the staysail is not blocked by the main and the draft off the sail helped the main develop more lift and a better shape. I never thought it would have that significant of an impact. Now I'll pay more attention to the staysail.
Are their any other conditions where the staysail offers such a significant advantage?
Thanks
Cy
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 15:58   #2

I have a cutter rig so the staysail is always in action. My primary love fest with the staysail is that when reefed the center of effort is very much concentrated athwart and amidship. On a typical sloop a reefed foresail is still very far forward (especially on a partially furled roller), as where with the staysail (or even reefed staysail if you have a boom) and a reefed main things seem a lot more balanced.

It's also a light nicer to work on a sail that's tacked three feet from the bow, rather than be out on a frigin bowsprit.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:57   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It's also a light nicer to work on a sail that's tacked three feet from the bow, rather than be out on a frigin bowsprit.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 20-07-2010, 14:29   #4

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Thanks, I find the staysail creates better balance than a reefed jib does in winds above 20kts.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote