Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 18:54   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: STORM Preparation in Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Local knowledge for the area is key here. As a cruiser working my way up the east coast for the first time, how do I find that safe haven? I would start looking for a place to hide as the storm nears. Maybe 3 or 4 days out looking at the projected path, which changes a little with each forecast. You probably have quite a few spots in a notebook, after cruising the east coast for (how many?) years. This is exactly why I haven't made it north of Georgia in a couple of tries. This was a good move for us with Matthew last year. I've met so many boaters that dealt with all the devastation north of here after the storm. A friend just left here last weekend heading to the Bahamas, and posted pics on Facebook of the boats littering the shores of the ICW south of here, all the way to Daytona. Plenty of nice boats with owners that got it wrong.

I'm guessing your Bahamas Marina was Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands? Definitely, a hurricane hole. Hurricane Hole at Stocking Island (George Town area) is a safe-ish spot, but not without damaged boats. Plus, most moorings will be occupied by locals. Hurricane Marthew Vessel Salvage Report – Stocking Island, George Town, Bahamas – Oh Sail Yes!

Well, great thread. June isn't that far away. I'll be ready!
Ralph, My weak area for hurricane hideouts is that "low country" from where you are up to near the Alligator River in North Carolina. I've had a good holding spot in the creeks off of East Lake at the north end of Alligator River and on into the Poquoson River and the Dismal Swamp. Elizabeths Dock at the Deep Creek Locks is one of the best hideouts. We've also done well with good spots in the Chesapeake. Corsica River has been good for us.

My hurricane event in the Bahamas was at the old Jack Tar Marina at West End. I was running for Florida in August, but I was too late to safely cross the Gulfstream before the hurricane so I held up at Jack Tar. Back then the old Grand Bahama Hotel was still there at about eleven stories high and just to our east. It blocked a lot of the wind, but we were taking a risk with some blowing glass. Most of us gathered in the concrete block marina office for the peak of the storm.

If a tropical storm can reach me within three days and I'm within any of the possible predicted cone, then I'm hiding out! I've prepared for far more tropical storm events than those that have caught me, but I'm still treating them all as if I'm in the bulls eye!
Old 04-04-2017, 19:24   #62

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Agreed RTB. There won't be any meaningful line adjustments made during a hurricane, typhoon, cyclone or what ever else you chose to call it. Preparation is done BEFORE the hurricane, not DURING it. Any attempt to adjust lines in hurricane force winds is almost suicide.
While I agree 90% is done beforehand adjusting to the changes at the end of an event has a large impact. Matthews damaged FL at the end of the event not where you expected it
Old 04-04-2017, 20:50   #63
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Ralph, My weak area for hurricane hideouts is that "low country" from where you are up to near the Alligator River in North Carolina. I've had a good holding spot in the creeks off of East Lake at the north end of Alligator River and on into the Poquoson River and the Dismal Swamp. Elizabeths Dock at the Deep Creek Locks is one of the best hideouts. We've also done well with good spots in the Chesapeake. Corsica River has been good for us.

My hurricane event in the Bahamas was at the old Jack Tar Marina at West End. I was running for Florida in August, but I was too late to safely cross the Gulfstream before the hurricane so I held up at Jack Tar. Back then the old Grand Bahama Hotel was still there at about eleven stories high and just to our east. It blocked a lot of the wind, but we were taking a risk with some blowing glass. Most of us gathered in the concrete block marina office for the peak of the storm.

If a tropical storm can reach me within three days and I'm within any of the possible predicted cone, then I'm hiding out! I've prepared for far more tropical storm events than those that have caught me, but I'm still treating them all as if I'm in the bulls eye!
Thanks for another great post! I plan to be here another 18 months (2 hurricane seasons), so for now, will concentrate on surviving storms at this marina. I'd like to come up with a "hurricane preparedness Plan" for the marina. Any guides you would suggest, or write my own? If you and Nancie get bored, drive to our marina. I'd be happy to buy lunch and gas, and show you around. Maybe you can offer some suggestions? If you are ok with public speaking, we could set up a pre-hurricane season meeting with the many boaters here. I don't want you to get bored!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 16:24   #64

Interesting and relevant article......

http://www.sail-worldcruising.com/n/...surance/152840

Here at the Bundaberg Port Marina I came across some interesting news from the guys that run the place. Emails where sent out on the 23rd March warning boat owners to prepare for possible Tropical Cyclone.....

Quote:
Good afternoon marina patrons,

The Bureau of Meteorology have released information that the Low Pressure System sitting of the coast of Queensland now has a moderate chance of forming into a tropical cyclone over the upcoming days.

As we all know, cyclones can be unpredictable, so we suggest that guests become prepared for the weather that may occur over the following week or so. Now is a good time to come down and make sure all lines and fenders are still in good condition and secure, remove any loose items from on deck and perform a general check of the vessel.

At this stage, it does not pose a threat to our area but we will be monitoring it over the next few days. If you have not got a copy of our severe weather plan, please come to the office and one will be made available for you.

Kind regards,
BPM

....according to BPM around 70% of those not already at the marina responded saying they would be coming to the marina to make preparations or would arrange for someone to be there for them if they couldn't make it (interstate, overseas or commitments they couldn't break), I should also point out the marina offered and did prepare vessels for those that requested it.

Two days later BPM started phoning the 30% or so that hadn't responded to the email, only about 10% actually answered their phones, the rest had messages left where message banks where available, those that answered either said they would be there to sort out their boat or arranged for someone else/marina staff to take care of it, amazingly none of the remaining 20% responded to the email or messages left! including my neighbour.

This left the marina staff and those of us already at the marina to do the best we could to secure these vessels while attending to our own or those that arrangements had be made for, BPM are great for this sort of thing, they just about drained the onsite chandlery of mooring line, fenders and anti-chafing material, hopefully they pass on the cost to those individuals.

I would also like to point out that the vast majority of those "uncared" for boats here are towards the higher end of the market cost wise, which to me suggests the owners are of the "insurance will take care of it" crowd, which is sort of what the attached article is pointing at, luckily for those here at BPM we didn't suffer the devastation of those further north, but I'm sure we will all be feeling it in the hip pocket come insurance renewal time....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 16:50   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great post islandHopper and it does ask the key question:

Does comprehensive marine insurance make boat owners more apathetic?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 17:11   #66

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

With the value of old boats near nothing, many feel a direct hit by a hurricane is a dream come true and their only way out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:51   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
With the value of old boats near nothing, many feel a direct hit by a hurricane is a dream come true and their only way out.
I understand this thought, but I think it might not be "many" that would find it an advantage. The great majority with older boats that have less value are not paying for even a partial hull coverage policy for the loss of their boat in a named storm. This leaves them with the legal responsibility to remove the derelict vessel which they often avoid. There is then a local government burden to locate these people in order to hold them accountable for the expense of removing the derelict vessels.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:08   #68

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I understand this thought, but I think it might not be "many" that would find it an advantage. The great majority with older boats that have less value are not paying for even a partial hull coverage policy for the loss of their boat in a named storm. This leaves them with the legal responsibility to remove the derelict vessel which they often avoid. There is then a local government burden to locate these people in order to hold them accountable for the expense of removing the derelict vessels.
Yes, "some" instead of "many" may have been more accurate. I do know that at least some marinas require liability insurance. The fact that they could be held liable for removing their boats if sunk makes me believe they do have full coverage. It always surprises me when a major storm is predicted and nothing is done to secure a lot of boats except undersized, 25 year old chafed mooring lines. Makes me wonder.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas