Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 08:28   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
Tacking with whisker pole

I can't tack my whisker pole as I have to get it around a baby stay, so I have to release the sheet and raise the pole to get it to the other side of the boat when tacking downwind. My question is that if I am on an upwind tack rounding a windward mark can I have the pole set on the other sheet using the topping lift, fore and aft guys so that when I come around the mark the genoa is poled out, or do I need to furl the genoa in(fully or partially) to avoid possible damage. Similarly, when poled out on port and tacking to starboard around a downwind mark, can I simply tack with the pole left up, then deal with the pole on the lazy sheet after we have tacked and are heading back upwind. I am flying a 135% genoa on a 49 foot boat, with a 19 foot pole, so there are some pretty big loads.
neilsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 09:04   #2

Re: Tacking with whisker pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsty View Post
I can't tack my whisker pole as I have to get it around a baby stay, so I have to release the sheet and raise the pole to get it to the other side of the boat when tacking downwind. My question is that if I am on an upwind tack rounding a windward mark can I have the pole set on the other sheet using the topping lift, fore and aft guys so that when I come around the mark the genoa is poled out, or do I need to furl the genoa in(fully or partially) to avoid possible damage. Similarly, when poled out on port and tacking to starboard around a downwind mark, can I simply tack with the pole left up, then deal with the pole on the lazy sheet after we have tacked and are heading back upwind. I am flying a 135% genoa on a 49 foot boat, with a 19 foot pole, so there are some pretty big loads.
Gee. Sounds way more complicated than changing tack on my 27' sloop, with a hank-on jib, no babystay, topping lift and fore/aft guys. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to try either. In my case changing tack downwind always involves disconnecting the whisker pole from the loop created by tying the sheet through the clew with a bosun's knot and from the padeye on the mast. Then, after bring the jib across, the whisker pole is re-deployed, sheet first, padeye second.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 02:00   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yes, if I understand what you are saying correctly. Be aware that while the pole is set to windward you cannot tack until you have swung it in and planted the tip on the foredeck. Make sure the lazy windward sheet is over the pole! I would try it on a light day without any racing pressure first. If the wind picks up go back to tried and true. Otherwise expensive and slow stuff up can happen. Worth doing some spinnaker racing on a good boat to see how to do all the fancy sets and drops.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-01-2015, 07:55   #4

Wrong, You might want to re-consider the "sheet first, pad eye second". If you ever get hit by a gust with the pole just attached to the sheet, it can become a spear that can do major damage to you. If the sail fills before you get the pole to the pad eye, you can have a very difficult time controlling the pole to get it attached. Just a thought. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 08:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Wrong, You might want to re-consider the "sheet first, pad eye second". If you ever get hit by a gust with the pole just attached to the sheet, it can become a spear that can do major damage to you. If the sail fills before you get the pole to the pad eye, you can have a very difficult time controlling the pole to get it attached. Just a thought. ______Grant.
Grant,

You're absolutely right. However, until I've moved the main to the opposite side it blankets the foresail. The hazard you cite is a worry if the boat begins to turn upwind and the foresail fills from the backside. Then its a 'drop everything' and make a mad dash to the helm to avoid backing the main. Anyway, in the worst case scenario, the main is constrained by the preventer to prevent an accidental jibe.

Reversing the process is nigh impossible because I can't reach the end of the pole after it's attached to the padeye.

Offshore the wind vane">Aries wind vane is a reliable partner, and the above scenario is unlikely to occur. Sailing in the San Francisco Bay is a different matter because due to the current and frequent gusty conditions, using the vane is impractical for downwind sailing.

Sailing solo definitly has its challenges.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 14:57   #6
h20

have you found a solution? my pole seems to long also and a topping lift would make it closer the the cable. It;s triky and i only do it on a long run.
Seems like there should be a simple way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Grant,

You're absolutely right. However, until I've moved the main to the opposite side it blankets the foresail. The hazard you cite is a worry if the boat begins to turn upwind and the foresail fills from the backside. Then its a 'drop everything' and make a mad dash to the helm to avoid backing the main. Anyway, in the worst case scenario, the main is constrained by the preventer to prevent an accidental jibe.

Reversing the process is nigh impossible because I can't reach the end of the pole after it's attached to the padeye.

Offshore the Aries wind vane is a reliable partner, and the above scenario is unlikely to occur. Sailing in the San Francisco Bay is a different matter because due to the current and frequent gusty conditions, using the vane is impractical for downwind sailing.

Sailing solo definitly has its challenges.
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 10:47   #7

Boat: Baltic 52

I'd say treat it like a jibe with a spinnaker pole. We detach the pole from the sail, jibe the main and head sail, reattach the pole while the headsail is slack (you're probably close to dead down), and then head up and trim on.
We use a Forespar extendable pole, so we can shorten the pole when jibing, and extend to the desired length for the headsail in use.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote