Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2012, 21:21   #31

Boat: Van deStadt 34
Re: Taming Foresail Sheets when Single Handing

Nigel,
In addition to the other contributions (removing friction, angle of lead for furling line etc) may I offer the following:
1) It is the first few meters of the furl that is the hardest - check the condition, diameter and length of your furling line so that you have as much diameter rolled on to the furl drum that you can (eg even if you have heaps left on the drum when you finish furling) this maximises the diameter of your pull. But, make sure you do not have so much that it bunches up and fouls the furler nor that the line passes between previous layers and gets wedged (I can now disassemble and reassemble my furler with zero sleep, in the dark whilst dipping the bow passing through coral reefs etc . . .).
2) It is important that, every time you unfurl the sail (you never know what the conditions will be when you want to furl it next), you lay down neat layers on the drum (this helps prevent the above problems) - you do this by applying a little resistance to the furl line as it pays out and keep its speed consistent - do not let it run free, especially as the sail is nearly unfurled (and you are impatient to get going).

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 01:53   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Thanks Andrew.
I've already covered those bases I think. With the genoa fully unfurled, the drum is just about full, that leaves me with about 6 turns on the drum with the sail furled. I have another reason to keep extra turns on the drum as I have a staysail. If using the staysail with the genoa furled, I can take wrap the genoa sheets around and have them closer to deck levelk, and out of the way of the staysail.
I'm always carefull about keeping some tension on the furler line when setting the sail. I take a couple of turns of furling line around a secondary winch, and then haul the sheet just enough to get the sail to start unrolling itself, then ease it out on the furling line a few feet, lock it off, tension the sheet, then ease again the furling line a few feet etc.
Taking the furling line out of the guide has made a huge difference. I now need to fabricate some stainless bar, bend it to the radius of the original guides, then fit these bars to the port side of the furler drum. I spoke to the UK supplier of Facnor furlers and they say that they have done this in the past. I'm still surprised that Beneteau managed to fit the furlers the wronmg way round in the first place
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 04:37   #33

Well done - Andrew.
Old 17-10-2012, 14:43   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another update:
Regarding the furler being orientated wrong, I'm going to have the UV strip renewed, but will place on the other side of the sail. The furling line will now be able to go onto the drum without lying against the furler guide.
As svHyLyte suggested, slacking the halyard about 3 inches has helped alot.
And will be removing the staysail furler and replacing the bearings. After about 2 months of pestering Facnor with emails they finally gave in and sent me a drawing of the furler showing the arrangement of seals, bearings and circlips.
Look to be stainless steel sealed bearings, so should be fun trying to get out of the aluminium furler
Old 17-10-2012, 15:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
2) It is important that, every time you unfurl the sail (you never know what the conditions will be when you want to furl it next), you lay down neat layers on the drum (this helps prevent the above problems) - you do this by applying a little resistance to the furl line as it pays out and keep its speed consistent - do not let it run free, especially as the sail is nearly unfurled (and you are impatient to get going).

Cheers, Andrew
There is a Harken ratchet block that does this for you. I added one to my furler last year. The furler works much more smoothly as a result.

I placed the block at the aft end of the cockpit so the furler line does a 180 degree turn around it then goes back to the cleat.

Very simple to add as it clamps on to the stern rail.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 15:40   #36

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
There is a Harken ratchet block that does this for you. I added one to my furler last year. The furler works much more smoothly as a result.

I placed the block at the aft end of the cockpit so the furler line does a 180 degree turn around it then goes back to the cleat.

Very simple to add as it clamps on to the stern rail.

Same as I have on my Harken furler.... this really does help a ton. It's just enough pressure that the line goes smoothly around the drum.

At first, I fit the block backwards and couldn't figure why it was so hard to pull in
Old 17-10-2012, 15:52   #37

Mark and FJ,
Do you have any details on your ratchet blocks (eg part no/size/? or WWW link). The ratchet blocks I'm used to would be too "jerky" (ie off or on) but what you describe would be great. Thanks, Andrew
Old 17-10-2012, 16:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
Mark and FJ,
Do you have any details on your ratchet blocks (eg part no/size/? or WWW link). The ratchet blocks I'm used to would be too "jerky" (ie off or on) but what you describe would be great. Thanks, Andrew
This is the one I used :

Harken 57 mm Carbo Ratchet Block

Just to be clear : the ratchet is locked when easing the furling line, but the spool has indentations that cause a controlled amount of friction in the line.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:33   #39

Thanks Mark. Your clarification is well made. I was hoping for a controlled release of the sheave but as you have operational experience that the friction through the locked sheave works - that is a good solution. Thanks again, Andrew.
Old 30-11-2012, 09:35   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Facnor SD Furler

Here's the drawings of the Facnor SD Furler drum and swivel, may be of use to others.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Facnor Swivel.pdf (218.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf SD Furler drum.pdf (128.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 30-11-2012, 09:43   #41

Re: Taming foresail sheets when single handing

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Put the lazy sheet around a winch - 2 turns unless it is light air. Ease the jibsheet in use by less than you were used to before going to the furler, enough to have the front half of the jib luffing and the back half drawing. After turning the roller a few times you may need to ease the sheet a little more. Be sure that there is drag on the lazy sheet the whole time.
yep

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02   #42

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Make sure you control those sheets. My wife blew the line from the winch before I could get the furled line in. In the chaos, the sheet blew out two of my dodger windows.... not fun!
Old 01-12-2012, 16:45   #43

The ratchet block is a good thing. However one must rig it so the line turns around the sheave as much as possible. A quarter turn probably won't allow proper function. A half turn will. I had to rig two blocks to get enough bite on the one with the ratchet.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheets, singlehanding