Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 08:17   #91

Boat: Shannon 28
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, he is still young and retired......and can handle going for 30 hours without sleep!

He did sail down from the Northern Chesapeake though starting not too far from where the racers that are headed to Bermuda right now started.

Summer sailing the Chesapeake is my thing and perfect for older single handers where we can pull over most anytime and get some sleep.

It was fun though sailing out a few miles into the ocean trying to spot his arrival back either visually or on AIS. (just happened to be a busy day for shipping that day. Even the dredge ships were working in or on the edge of the channel plus the cranes barges for the new tunnel construction and their support boats)

I did see like 5 -6 boats arriving though. One was a Canadian on a Lagoon 40, He came over the tunnel as I was exiting. I happened to see his boat later at a marina near me on Saturday. He and his wife had sailed all the way up from the Bahamas on the outside.

He had 1000 watts of solar nicely mounted facing up over his cockpit providing shade there. He had multiple Victron Controllers and spoke highly of them.

The boat that came in with ArmySailor was also there on another dock

Thomm,

I appreciate your vote of confidence that I *can* go 30 hours without sleep but Neptune knows I'm a miserable sod at that point. (not to mention it raises the accident risk one notch). I'll drop you a message, I'm curious where you sail out of and next time you or I have a trip, I'd love to go out in tandem if you're game. I don't have anybody else to sail with in the area.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 08:55   #92

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Test #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Thomm,

I appreciate your vote of confidence that I *can* go 30 hours without sleep but Neptune knows I'm a miserable sod at that point. (not to mention it raises the accident risk one notch). I'll drop you a message, I'm curious where you sail out of and next time you or I have a trip, I'd love to go out in tandem if you're game. I don't have anybody else to sail with in the area.
I just know what going that long 30 hours without sleep at age 66 plus would do to a person. You sounded like a "normal" person when you were speaking with the ships on your VHF coming in so you hid you tiredness well.

It appeared you did get pushed South quite a bit with all that shipping traffic we had that day

I sail out of Bay Point Marina which is the first Marina on the right as you get into Little Creek.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...!4d-76.1817635

Sailing in tandem sounds good. We can compare boats speeds etc. My sails are 10 years old, but we can still see how it goes.

Are you moving down to this area?

There's another single hander that sails most weekends out of my marina also plus all the Sail Time Sailing School Boats.

There are usually 2-3 Capri 22's with 3-4 person groups out there training and sometime the newer Beneteau and Hunter 33-36' Sail Time boats.

There's also racing every Wednesday Night........

Bristol 27 PHRF 240

Shannon 28 PHRF 222
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote