Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2023, 14:50   #16

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: The Joy of Short Tacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I have fond memories of my Redwing 30.
As do I. Wish I still had her. Mine was hull #7.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:06   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 235
pirate Re: The Joy of Short Tacking

It is great to see that I'm not the only one that goes to sail if at all possible and motoring is simple to get in an out of the marina or as a last resort. Up here on Georgian Bay, Canada, from our observations, there are many sailboats but few sailors.
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 12:34   #18

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Well done! Reminds me of our summer season in the Inside Passage and SE Alaska. The chart track below is from the Grenville channel in British Columbia, Canada. 1.5-2+ knot current against us, and 18-25 winds on the nose. Neither was predicted, and closest anchorage was 20nm. Much more comfortable short-tacking through it.

A few times along the journey other boaters saw our AIS and later in the anchorage inquired whether we were having engine issues. Nah, we're just stubborn and like the motion of the boat much better under sail than hobby horsing into short steep waves. Takes about the same amount of time, just a lot more distance covered.

Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 14:35   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
That track is extremely impressive if there was really two knots of adverse current. Were you sailing a 12 meter?

Jim
Old 04-09-2023, 15:11   #20

Learned it as a kid, making for the sea through a 300 foot wide ship canal in what amounted to a 3/4 sale version of the Folkboat, a nifty little number called a "Juniorbåd"

Nothing to it if you have a proper boat, properly rigged.

Iron wind was unheard of in those days, of course, for poor, penurious plebes such as us :-)!

TrentePieds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Juniorbåd.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	280522  
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 15:22   #21

Boat: Oates 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRodems View Post
We added a staysail last year. When sefl-taking, I put one sheet through a block at the clew and then tie to the sheeting position on the other side. It self tacks perfectly without having to adjust the sheet. Earlier this year, with the staysail in this position and the main trimmed normally, the admiral sailed into a river with an adverse current by just turning the wheel for each tack.

Nice!
MGRodems, why do you need a block at the clew? Cant you just tie off both sheets at the staysail clew in the tacking position?
powerpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 15:33   #22

Boat: Tartan 40

I rigged barber haulers, on my tall mast 1986 Tartan 40, from each side of the base of the mast to the jib sheets, to make the Genoa furled to about 80% of the foretriangle work in winds above 20 knots. It’s a cheap alternative to adding a staysail or Solent. It has worked pretty well in creating a slot and reducing heel.

I want to try short tacking with that setup to see how much effort it would take with the jib sheets.
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 21:11   #23

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^
That track is extremely impressive if there was really two knots of adverse current. Were you sailing a 12 meter?
An 11.5, actually. 1987 Southerly 115 (aka 37')

Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 22:45   #24

I learned to sail 8 foot Sabots in the 60s, often in surf.
I rediscovered sailing on main alone my own yachts up to 26 foot, when my motor failed once just as I was entering the crowded anchorage where my mooring lived.

After that I regularly sailed in in and out of the harbour, tacking on the main between the moored vessels. I had to give up sailing in 2017, but I enjoyed sailing on main alone in many yachts up to 40 foot when single handing (including when I had 'passengers' rather than crew) in areas with a lot of boats around.

Once outside I often swapped main for Genoa if the wind was right because on a long solo trip on a relatively light yacht, (including the 40 footer) it is just so much easier single handing for the first 50 or 60 miles.

Sailing on the main was great in tight areas where the coral comes out a fair way from the shore between a lot of out islands.

It's a dinghy handling skill a lot of us tend to forget - until we need to remember it in a hurry.
It can save a hell of a lot of fuel too !
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 19:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhsailor View Post
I rigged barber haulers, on my tall mast 1986 Tartan 40, from each side of the base of the mast to the jib sheets, to make the Genoa furled to about 80% of the foretriangle work in winds above 20 knots. It’s a cheap alternative to adding a staysail or Solent. It has worked pretty well in creating a slot and reducing heel.

I want to try short tacking with that setup to see how much effort it would take with the jib sheets.

Cool idea! You have any pics of that setup?

Is yours also a deep draft keel? I know the tall mast version was designed but never encountered any in “real life”
My standard T40 with K/CB is plenty fast but I’m sure yours is much faster-
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 09:11   #26

My Tartan 40 tall mast has the standard 5’ keel with additional 3’ centerboard. As you know, she points upwind really well. I’m a cruiser, not a racer. I bought her 4 years ago and she had a reputation as a fast racer in local races. The Quantum membrane cruiser/racer sails are terrific.
As a cruiser on Western Lake Superior, I really appreciate her ability to sail upwind in 4 knots of wind. That tall mast with bigger sails opens many more summertime hours to turning off the engine and enjoying sailing. I like to put in a reef in the main with wind above 13 knots. The sail was made with the first reef equivalent to a reef and a half. I put the second reef in at about 17 knots, equivalent to a triple reef.

The bigger sail is heavier and harder to raise from the cockpit, even with a low friction sail track. So, at age 70, I bought a Milwaukee right angle drill to raise the main and to hoist the hard shell dinghy on the foredeck.

My life is good as long as I can figure out the required work-arounds!
I don’t know how to insert a photo here with a url? ? but you can find my pic by searching “barber hauler” in the member galleries above. I connected the webbing to the base of the mast with a caribiner.
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 18:38   #27

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I love short tacking in tight spots. This is us tacking out of Seal Cove on Vinalhaven Island in Maine, only 5 knots apparent wind, slack tide. Too narrow and light wind for the centerboard to build any real lift, but not bad for a junkrig. Shoal draft centerboard junkrig cat ketch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220825_204451.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	280604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220825_204336.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	280605Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230906_212358968.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	280606
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 18:49   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
I love short tacking in tight spots. This is us tacking out of Seal Cove on Vinalhaven Island in Maine, only 5 knots apparent wind, slack tide. Too narrow and light wind for the centerboard to build any real lift, but not bad for a junkrig. Shoal draft centerboard junkrig cat ketch. Attachment 280604Attachment 280605Attachment 280606
Wow, not bad at all!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote