Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 12:01   #61

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Three Canadian Sailors Rescued off Hawai

May is the popular month so that the return to PNW can be made in July.More than 1 month in Paradise would be nice,but expensive.This was nowhere near PPJ route.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:22   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

meetings are ongoing until departure which occurs from feb thru april. la cruz yacht club is still having meetings, but many have already left and more to leave at intervals thru april.

is cyclone season in so pacific now--- watch windows for weather...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 15:49   #63

Boat: CS 40

More info on the cause. Seems that the the for-stay failed and while the skipper was up the mast trying to effect a repair, the shrouds pulled out of the deck. Both he and the mast went over the side. Trying to imagine being up the mast in 15-20 foot waves with a broken for-stay... yikes!

It does seem that the standing rigging could have been stronger. Here's a link. Check out the first part of the video.

Boy, 2 men plucked from ocean in dramatic rescue | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 03:30   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefossl View Post
More info on the cause. Seems that the the for-stay failed and while the skipper was up the mast trying to effect a repair, the shrouds pulled out of the deck. Both he and the mast went over the side. Trying to imagine being up the mast in 15-20 foot waves with a broken for-stay... yikes!

It does seem that the standing rigging could have been stronger. Here's a link. Check out the first part of the video.

Boy, 2 men plucked from ocean in dramatic rescue | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Should've sent a small child up the mast .....and they had one onboard!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:28   #65
abh

I wonder what the correct procedure would be in cases like this. It surely isn't anything that should be taken lightly to climb up the mast in big swells with broken forestay. I would reckon having some sail up, head downwind, to keep pressure against backstay, then climb up. Or is it better to do it under bare poles? Alway keep a spare halyard maybe which could be used temporally?
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:36   #66

Boat: Niagara 35
Most boats would have a soon halyard to use temporarily. That and running off should do the trick
Old 17-02-2012, 09:39   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh View Post
I wonder what the correct procedure would be in cases like this. It surely isn't anything that should be taken lightly to climb up the mast in big swells with broken forestay. I would reckon having some sail up, head downwind, to keep pressure against backstay, then climb up. Or is it better to do it under bare poles? Alway keep a spare halyard maybe which could be used temporally?
I would not go up a mast in a storm (55+ knots)

Spare genoa or spinnaker halyards should hold the rig up under minimal sail.

Go downwind or go bare poles. A drogue or sea anchor would be in order.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 10:07   #68

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Possible, I suppose, that the fore halyards had run through and the shackles were stuck at the top of the mast, which would explain why he had to go up.

Took guts. I hate going up when I'm at the dock.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 10:27   #69

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh View Post
I wonder what the correct procedure would be in cases like this.
My first thought: Tie off the spare halyard to keep the mast up under bare poles, deploy the drogue, wedge myself into a bunk down below out of the way of flying projectiles and eat cold soup in between throwing up while I waited for the weather to pass.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:16   #70

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

In the Portland interview the guy up the mast said the shrouds pulled out of the deck. (deck mounted chainplates)

This boat should not have been off shore. They are lucky to be alive. Looking at the pictures, their boom is not much larger then my whisker pole. And you can't even see the shrouds or stays. It looks an awful lot like a Bayliner Buccaneer 325 but the portals are in the wrong place.

They say the motor had 2000 hours. So it must have been its original and maintenance would be questionable.

It's always been my belief that a sea going vessels strongest points should be; the rigging, motor, keel and rudder otherwise stay close to port.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:53   #71

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Sounds like the rigging pulling out left a big enough hole in the bow to start flooding the boat. Nothing was said about type of boat or what year it was, and hearing the deck failed sounds like old water damage in the deck like would be fouind in the inland waters of the Salish Sea where it rains lots. These guys were from inland Alberta Canada and were just out for an adventure in the winter in the Pacific and not aware of winter storms to sail around, just plowing thru whatever came probably not in a newer or less than 10 year old boat, scarry.
Old 17-02-2012, 12:17   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"...just plowing thru whatever came probably not in a newer or less than 10 year old boat, scarry."

i just plow thru stuff in a 30+yr old boat-- but is a solid taiwanese leaky teaky......safer than many production boats as is solid and keel stepped mast. (my opinion)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:22   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It looks an awful lot like a Bayliner Buccaneer 325 but the portals are in the wrong place.
My first thought was that it had a Buccaneer appearance, but I am not that familiar with them. The boat is reported to to be 10 meters.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:04   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"...just plowing thru whatever came probably not in a newer or less than 10 year old boat, scarry."

i just plow thru stuff in a 30+yr old boat-- but is a solid taiwanese leaky teaky......safer than many production boats as is solid and keel stepped mast. (my opinion)
Zee, you have a 30 year boat that is getting younger by the day. you know that you have to pay your dues to your boat or the sea will take its payments. What it looks like in this situation is that some one has bought a boat cheap, not prioritised spending (electronic before structure) and put it away wet. (based on the interview and picture of it at the dock). They do not have the experience that you have and were sailing to a scedual (which may have been unrealistic). Look at your own scedules, "when i get this fixed i will do" that. So what happened here was the rigging let go from the deck. Whats your chain plats etc like. Checked, refurbished or renewed .... so where is the comparision in either boat or crew.
Old 20-02-2012, 16:22   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
. Nothing was said about type of boat or what year it was, .
The Sail world article here.....Sail-World.com : Nine-year-old: 'We're gonna sink. We're gonna die,' but family rescued

...... does say quote"'If one bad thing goes wrong, it just seems like it gets worse and worse and worse and that's what happened.' These were the words of rescued sailor Mitchell James, the Canadian skipper of the catamaran lost to the Pacific Ocean after he, his brother Bradley and nine-year-old nephew West were rescued over two hundred nautical miles off the coast of Honolulu."Unquote.

So sail world says Catamaran?? Mistake??

Regards

Tags
catamaran