Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 11:23   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Tips and tricks for sailing in pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We've buddy boated successfully with a slower boat just by running a smaller jib. He hanked on his #1, and we went with a #3, and everybody was happy. A few times he closed the gap by motorsailing a bit.
This is quite common; that, or sailing the bigger boat with a reef in the main.

Both of you having AIS transceivers is a great idea. Imagine how easy it is to spot a boat when the AIS is giving you a distance and a relative bearing. Even a mast top eight NM back is going to be easy to find on a clear day.

It's also a safety device in the sense that if one boat has trouble, and they lose VHF and AIS, you have a "last known good bearing and distance" to either get to them yourself, or to pass in a MAYDAY relay.

EDIT: Hmm...after reading other replies, I realize that I wouldn't actually want to do this myself. I agree: check in by radio at 1200Z or 1600Z or whatever works, but otherwise agree to row over for a sundowner once set to rights.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:25   #17

Re: Tips and Tricks for Sailing in Pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I have been planning an Annapolis-Newport trip for May on my own Tayana 37 cutter with a 5-person crew. Now, suddenly a friend with a Mariner 31 ketch is suggesting we tag-team. I've never done a passage with two boats or a convoy.

Aside from the obvious - keeping radio and visual contact and trying not to outpace your other half - any tips for doing this?
Just agree to sail at your own speeds and meet at certain places - any nice anchorages on the way? Let's face it, on a 1 day leg, the difference in ETA is going to be half an hour, which is just enough time to get the barbeque warmed up
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 14:52   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
It's also a safety device in the sense that if one boat has trouble, and they lose VHF and AIS, you have a "last known good bearing and distance" to either get to them yourself, or to pass in a MAYDAY relay.

EDIT: Hmm...after reading other replies, I realize that I wouldn't actually want to do this myself. I agree: check in by radio at 1200Z or 1600Z or whatever works, but otherwise agree to row over for a sundowner once set to rights.
So if the dog (or crew!) vomits on the VHF and AIS then the other party initiates a full scale SAR effort?......looking forward to that thread .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:18   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

So if the dog (or crew!) vomits on the VHF and AIS then the other party initiates a full scale SAR effort?......looking forward to that thread .
First rule of buddy-boating: no dogs.

(Second rule: no goats.)
Old 14-01-2012, 09:06   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If the VHF and the AIS are both coated in vomit, they'll need to borrow my power washer.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 17:44   #21

Re: Tips and Tricks for Sailing in Pairs

Buddy boat is bunk. Take care yourself or don't go. We've had a buddy boat turn and run for port without saying a thing when weather turned bad. Twas a bad choice for them. Meet your friends and other boaters in port.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing