Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 08:51   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: towing with outboard motor...WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Not sure what this has to do with towing. Yes, falling out of a dingy with outboard motor and no kill lanyard is dangerous. Watched it recently at anchor. Dinghy wildly circling again and again. Can be deadly.

Patrol boat came by with a good solution: They towed a floating line in the way of the dinghy. Rope fouled the prop and killed engine. No trying to jump on board the running dinghy required.
That is a great solution !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:55   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Since we're on unrecognized safety issues - kids hanging over the bow of boats is another serious danger. One big wake, off they pop, and right under the boat & prop. Terrible every which way.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:06   #18

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I've had small outboards both with killcords and without (a push button to stop). My dinghy is generally only a tender to take me out to my big boat.

I prefer the killcord versions as you are more guaranteed to stop when coming alongside. The push button needs a bit of a push and in a lumpy sea or with other distractions it is possible to fail to push it properly. Even when going very slowly it's possible to overshoot your mark. Much less chance of that with a killcord. But then again that can be more fiddly to reset!

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:09   #19

Boat: Island Packet 420

To prevent accidentally pulling the thing out and killing the OB on my dinghy, I just attach the end of the lanyard to my foot - keeps my hands free and I can reach alot of stuff without pulling out the cord from the OB with my foot.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:20   #20

Boat: Currently boatless

For what it's worth, towing with a dinghy is best done in reverse i.e. with the bow pointing to the towed vessel. We do it routinely at our club with boats up to 36 feet as well as long dock sections which have to be moved before our harbour ices up. This obviously requires two persons in the dinghy, i.e. one to drive and the other to manage the towline. It also keeps the towline away from the O/B prop.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:24   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I had a friend who fell overboard off his dinghy at St. John years ago, the outboard prop got him, right across his cheek bone, he was floating face down, was found quickly by another cruiser, and taken ashore, he survived, i didnt use the safety lanyard until this happened, do now.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:45   #22

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Doesnt your outboard go back to idle when you release the throttle,
Thats a dangerous move on your part if it dont,
I've not come across an outboard that does this. It's not a motorcycle, the sea is incredibly bumpy especially when planing. If the throttle was sprung back I can't imagine how you'd accurately hold the exact throttle position you want whilst bouncing up and down violently.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 09:47   #23

All my outboards always went back to idle if I didn't grip. I'm not sure it was a spring thing or not, I think there is a small spring on the bellcrank in there usually. But the vibration makes it happen mostly. I actually dislike that it was that way. But is safer I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:12   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahauq View Post
pulling string of logs or towing large boats with outboard in skiff/small towboat? Outboard had wrist clip I didn't have attached to my wrist. Imagine my 8yr old son in the bow watching the boat going in circles at high speed winding me up in the tow rope after losing my grip on the OB tiller and being thrown overboard! Wouldn't take long before the prop got me!
Now there is a revelation...

Warning! Defeating safety equipment may be hazardous.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 11:15   #25

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahauq View Post
pulling string of logs or towing large boats with outboard in skiff/small towboat? Outboard had wrist clip I didn't have attached to my wrist. Imagine my 8yr old son in the bow watching the boat going in circles at high speed winding me up in the tow rope after losing my grip on the OB tiller and being thrown overboard! Wouldn't take long before the prop got me!
No one can tell if this is a question or a hypothetical situation or something that happened to you.

And it doesn't seem to have anything to do with towing specifically.

And it's spelled "quahog".

Nice.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:01   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
To prevent accidentally pulling the thing out and killing the OB on my dinghy, I just attach the end of the lanyard to my foot - keeps my hands free and I can reach alot of stuff without pulling out the cord from the OB with my foot.
Yes, and this works really well on console boats (like big RIBs) where the lanyard tends to wrap around the steering wheel. It allows some freedom of movement, but tends to get pulled off less frequently.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:05   #27

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
For what it's worth, towing with a dinghy is best done in reverse i.e. with the bow pointing to the towed vessel.
I've found over the years that trying to move any larger displacement boat by towing can be extremely hazardous. After losing a drive system on a 40 foot trawler, I found I could push it with my 10 foot dinghy with a 15 HP Johnson much more efficiently and safely than trying to pull it. Just have someone at the helm of the pushed vessel.
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 13:25   #28

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrdflyr View Post
I've found over the years that trying to move any larger displacement boat by towing can be extremely hazardous. After losing a drive system on a 40 foot trawler, I found I could push it with my 10 foot dinghy with a 15 HP Johnson much more efficiently and safely than trying to pull it. Just have someone at the helm of the pushed vessel.

Or barge with the dinghy alongside. Very tight breastlines and spring lines make this a very secure arrangement. In bigger seas maybe not though.

We’ve barged a 38 foot Hanse with a 9 foot soft bottom RIB and a 5 hp motor. Slowly (2.5 knots or so once we got going). We were able to get her up a channel to a marina and onto the fuel dock without much trouble, with the yacht doing the steering.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 13:53   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Now there is a revelation...

Warning! Defeating safety equipment may be hazardous.
Sounds like one for US citizens. Like those stickers they have on car mirrors.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 14:32   #30

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So you shouldn't take your dingy out on a calm day if there is any chance of boat wakes...or rain?
Do you often go out in a dingy in rough water naked? I would probably pull my rain jacket down to cover the button, that is sitting on my wrist, or inside my jacket around my neck, to keep water off it, knowing it will stop my motor.

It's called adaptability.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, motor, outboard