Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 17:41   #16

Re: Transatlantic passage with C&C 41, 1984

I owned a C&C 41 for several years. The boat definitely sails to it's rating and is and will walk away from the fleet in 3-6 knots. She is very fun to sail. I liken her to sailing a big dinghy. Good accomodations for cruising and handles heavy air very well. I'm in the market again for a boat of this size and will probably buy another 41. The wife liked her too. We cruised with the kids and they enjoyed the boat as well.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 19:00   #17

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Well, as John Vigor said in one of his books "the boat you buy should be the one that brings a smile to your face when you turn and look at it while rowing away". Having said that you do need to consider what you want to do with the boat. I have owned a C&C 34 and a C&C 37. I never had any concerns about the construction and I don't think I would be too concerned about taking a C&C 41 across the Atlantic. Mother nature can sink any boat if she chooses. For a boat of that age you are going to have to replace things like chain plates, standing rigging, sails and electronics. That can be said for any boat of the same age. In my opinion the main drawback for the C&C boats is that they were not designed for extended periods of cruising and consequently you have limited water, fuel and storage capacity. For one or two people on a 41 this might not be such an issue. I don't think they are going to sail any worse offshore than a modern fin keel boat like a Hunter. I met a couple on a 41 who had sailed from the US east coast throught the Carribbean, Panama Canal and up to Alaska. They were on their way back to the east coast. You can do a lot of sailing in one of these for not a lot of money.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:22   #18

Boat: Hylas 49

I've taken my C&C 35/3 1983 to Bermuda once and will do it again. Biggest issue is tankage and condition of rigging/sails etc. You will want to add a watermaker and more fuel tankae.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 06:36   #19

Boat: C&C 41

I have a 1984 C&C 41 that I am currently cruising the Caribbean with. This is my 4th time making the trip from Massachusetts to BVI. I have done the trip straight through or sometimes stop in Bermuda. The trip has been completed double handed or with 4 aboard. The first time I sailed the boat down I was 26 years old and went down with a vhf, gps, epirb, life raft, autopilot, and refrigeration. Since then I have added many things to make offshore sailing, cruising, and living on the boat easier or more comfortable. I've had the boat in some terrible conditions, but have not had any major issues. The boat has approximately 11,000 nm under my ownership in the past 8 years. I have kept close attention to structural integrity of the boat's mast step, keel, rudder, and grid system. I've upgraded standing rigging and the usual items to minimize any issues offshore. I was knocked down in a gale producing 15'-25' and occasional 30' waves on the way to bermuda a few years ago and the mast went in the water, I was at the helm and thought for sure the boat was going all the way around (my finger prints are still in the stainless steel wheel), but the 8000 lbs of lead 8' down brought the boat on her feet and we safely made it through a grueling 40 hrs of 40-60kt winds when other larger/heavier boats didn't fair as well or quickly as we did. The boat is easily handled by one person offshore, light enough to dock singlehandlely, and still sleeps a decent number of people comfortably.

I did own a 1985 C&C 41 prior to the current one, and it had been run aground and shotty repairs made to the keel and mast step. Once I purchased it and put it in the water after having been on the hard for at least 3 years, the repairs began failing, bilge box started leaking water, and the pan of the boat fell an inch away from the stringers. Having had this prior experience, I have kept a very close eye on the current boat, and had zero issues.

I have listed the boat for sale, as I am looking to move to a larger boat. The link is below:

1984 C&C Competition 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

One of the best decisions I made was to purchase a boat prior to a house or any other big money item. The C&C 41 is a lot of boat for the money, the systems are simple and relatively cheap compared to other boats of equal size. The boat has delivered me safely over many long trips even as a very green captain.

If you find the proper C&C that has been maintained, it will take you anywhere in the world with the proper crew, weather routing, and seamanship.

Regards,
Chris
Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:36   #20

Boat: Hylas 49

I own an 83 C&C 35/3. I've done Annapolis to Bermuda and Annapolis Newport and am prepping for Annapolis Bermuda again.

The boat will take far more of a beating that you will. If the hull and deck are dry you have a solid boat. The rod rigging will need to be examined and re-headed. Chainplates checked. Storm sails, radar, epirb, AIS. You will need more water storage. Lee cloths for bunks. Check steering cables.

Check out cncphotoalbum.com. That's where C&C owners hang out.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage